Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Last pick made and PM sent.

Zokora fits in nicely with the pace, power and energy of my team.

Alan Hansen as your team's manager then, yeah?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

SlickRic wrote: »
    right, Redzerdog needs a kick; 2 rounds in a row now.

i'm a patient man, but...

;)

As far as I remember from the start of the draft he works 9-5 with no net access. So it's not like he's just not logging on, he can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Frisbee wrote: »
    As far as I remember from the start of the draft he works 9-5 with no net access. So it's not like he's just not logging on, he can't.

apologies so.

i suppose, it's just because we're so close to the next bit.

plus, i've no more people to pick; so that adds to the impatience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Archimedes wrote: »
    Alan Hansen as your team's manager then, yeah?

:pac:

:pac: I forgot Desire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

so is the voting on this open to the public?

I didnt see this until too late but have followed it the while way, its a great read lads?

i know my opinion doesnt count a jot, but i would have thought that its only to be voted by the lads who are taking part.

lets be honest, there are a lot of idiots on the SF who havent a clue about tactics. ye all have a pretty good understanding of formations etc and id hate to think one of ye could lose (or win :pac) just because a lot of people see famous names in your teams

thats my 2c anyway

event wrote: »
    its a great read lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Frisbee has his right-back, then? Because I had three names on my shortlist for that position and two of them are gone thanks to SlickRic and Necro. If I lose the last guy I have in mind I'll be in trouble. :eek:

There are a couple of decent guys left there. It was almost down to a coin toss between Pareira and one other for me.

My team:

1277839318592363.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

pick made and pm sent

apoligies for the hold up but between work then football i cant get online till night time, but i have tried my best to keep thing flowing by pm my selection for a lot of rounds and also checking the morning before work if it my turn or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Just to let people know,I am working at Oxegen,leaving Wednesday afternoon wont be home til Mon and even then I'm sure I'll be shattered.I dunno what you's wanna do but if you's think passing temporary ownership onto someone is the best idea to stop any hold ups then thats cool with me

I'm away basically all weekend too so I won't be available to do anything to progress the draft that involves my team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Gillington wrote: »
    Just to let people know,I am working at Oxegen,leaving Wednesday afternoon wont be home til Mon and even then I'm sure I'll be shattered.I dunno what you's wanna do but if you's think passing temporary ownership onto someone is the best idea to stop any hold ups then thats cool with me

Im for oxegen too, I was hoping this would be over by then :pac:

as am i.

i'm away Friday morning until late on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just stop the wagon for the weekend. We can pick things up on Tuesday. Not a big deal. I'm in London this weekend also.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Just stop the wagon for the weekend. We can pick things up on Tuesday. Not a big deal. I'm in London this weekend also.

Oxegen is next weekend :(

• Advertisement

curry-muff wrote: »
    Oxegen is next weekend :(

Oh right. Well stop nothing on my sole account obviously! :p But if you have a bunch of people away the following week whatever stage we are at by then should clearly be paused for a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What if we do the draw for the match-ups and then arrange it in order of those who are going to be here?

For example those who are away can have their match-ups put at the back of the queue and those who will be here can go first?

I don't think anyone would object to that.

What if we do the draw for the match-ups and then arrange it in order of those who are going to be here?

For example those who are away can have their match-ups put at the back of the queue and those who will be here can go first?

I don't think anyone would object to that.

Not good if a large portion of the participants aren't around to vote on the matchups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Once we get through this round of picks we can review and see when people want to move forward. People can have a few days to make their final post then that will include a brief write up about their team as well as their formation. Once we have all 20, the knockouts can begin.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Not good if a large portion of the participants aren't around to vote on the matchups.

D'oh. Didn't think of that.
    Voltwad wrote:
    Once we get through this round of picks we can review and see when people want to move forward. People can have a few days to make their final post then that will include a brief write up about their team as well as their formation. Once we have all 20, the knockouts can begin.

Discussing the draw itself will be a bit of craic too so we could get a day or two out of that. I'm sure it will be alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

All done

Given

Vidal----Lucio----Maldini----Belhadj

Perez

Bradley
    Lampard

Pienaar
    Di Maria

Milito

Complete:
    Howard

Assou-Ekotto
    Alex
    Skrtel
    Fucile

Yaya Toure
    Iniesta

Elia
    Aguero
    Gervinho

Shearer (c)

Assou-Ekotto is a left back so not sure how that will work going on your line up above.

I did look at him for my final pick but he only has a handful of caps, and there's a few others still left to be taken with more of a pedigree imo.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Assou-Ekotto is a left back so not sure how that will work going on your line up above.

I did look at him for my final pick but he only has a handful of caps, and there's a few others still left to be taken with more of a pedigree imo.
    Fucile can play RB quite handily as well. You beat me to Belhadj :(

Yeah it'd be a worry that you have two left backs in your team. Even if one can adequately play RB it's no competition for someone who is an out and out RB, especially as there is still a number of decent RB's left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Pick made and PM'd! Delighted to have picked God (Bendtner to non Gooners)! Will post up some formations in a few mins...

I had a feeling someone would pick Bendtner in this round as he's a forward that most people don't seem to rate at all and will do a good job holding ball for a team with more talented players in behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Picked and PM'd,heres me finalised team:

1277902832886570.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Team finished:

...........Benalgio

Friedrich - Toure - King - Criscito

........De Rossi - Scholes

Di Natale---Sneijder---Mata

Muller

Team finished:

...........Benalgio

Friedrich - Toure - King - Criscito

........De Rossi - Scholes

Di Natale---Sneijder---Mata

Muller

i'd love to see de Rossi and an in-prime Scholes together.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Yeah it'd be a worry that you have two left backs in your team. Even if one can adequately play RB it's no competition for someone who is an out and out RB, especially as there is still a number of decent RB's left.
    From what I've seen and read, Fucile is a natural RB but just plays LB a lot of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'd love to see de Rossi and an in-prime Scholes together.

Thankfully, for our purposes, we won't :D

Well thats me finished :D Im pretty happy with what Ive got considering my position in the draft :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Voltwad wrote: »
    From what I've seen and read, Fucile is a natural RB but just plays LB a lot of the time

This is true. Bloody good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

curry-muff wrote: »
    Well thats me finished :D Im pretty happy with what Ive got considering my position in the draft :p
    Did you send a pm?

Yeah I did indeed, as far as I know Lloyd is only on early in the morning or late at night.

bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

My team

S Handanovic

---Maicon
    Lugano
    Mensah
    Fabio Coentrao

Toulalan

Joan Capdevila

Hamsik

----Garrincha

Dzeko
    Luis Fabiano

Only 4 more left to go! Hopefully with a bit of luck we'll get it finished tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ill PM my pick to someone if Bamboozlin isnt on in the next hour or so.

ill PM my pick to someone if Bamboozlin isnt on in the next hour or so.

I'm straight after you so feel free to fire it this way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

pm sent

1 more and we're done :)

I posted this with my Ochoa pick, but you really have to watch this video. The way he leaps across the goal defies gravity. It's unbelievable.

My team finalised (one of a few possible formations):

2z3s8bb.jpg

Archimedes wrote: »
    1 more and we're done :)

I posted this with my Ochoa pick, but you really have to watch this video. The way he leaps across the goal defies gravity. It's unbelievable.

Watched it before when he was linked with United, ****ing amazing video, but once I read up on him I heard his kicking and his ability from crosses was letting him down, but then again who cares when you keep making super saves like those :pac:

• Advertisement

And we are done, delighted to get Alcaraz. I think Paraguay have the best defense at the World Cup, reminds me of the great Italian defenses.

I'm impressed we got through the picks before the end of the World Cup. Looking forward to seeing who gets paired with who.

I'm impressed we got through the picks before the end of the World Cup. Looking forward to seeing who gets paired with who.

220 picks in just under 4 weeks is a fair rate.. Well Done everyone!!

Looking forward to the match-ups now too!

So can we now discuss who wasn't picked?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So can we now discuss who wasn't picked?

I cant see why not ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement