Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

People on my shortlist that didn't go:

Romero, Medel (was tempted to pick him just to annoy Archie), Figueroa, Jonas, Govou, Behrami, Annan, Asamoah, Appiah, Makoun, M'Bia, Inler, Gignac, Cardozo, Barrios.

Also was Klose picked? If not then him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Klose was.

My last pick at right back was between Pareira and Portugal's Miguel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

I was debating picking Green,Behrami and Perreira

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Was Gareth Barry picked?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Voltwad wrote: »
    Was Gareth Barry picked?

yes iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

So what now folks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Very surprised that Taye Taiwo and Lee Young Pyo weren't taken considering some of the left backs picked.

Both were on my list after Belhadj.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

so whats up next? hammer out the finer details of the rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Who is the most expensive purchase in the last year that didn't go? Roque Santa Cruz maybe?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Who is the most expensive purchase in the last year that didn't go? Roque Santa Cruz maybe?

am actually suprised you didnt pick him as you were tipping him up for the golden boot for the world cup

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    am actually suprised you didnt pick him as you were tipping him up for the golden boot for the world cup
    Yeah he wasn't fit to start in the first game and then he they play him out wide.

Reason I tipped him is because I really rated Paraguay and didn't rate New Zealand. New Zeland's coach has to get huge credit for their perfomances, he really set them up very well at the back. New Zealand destroyed me this World Cup.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

How is the format of this going to work? We have 20 teams so if we do straight knock-out style we'll eventually end up with an odd number.

One way to do things would be to have 4 groups of 5 and each play each other with the top 2 advancing to the last 8. But that might take too long?

So are we going down the road of giving some teams byes to the next round? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

How is the format of this going to work? We have 20 teams so if we do straight knock-out style we'll eventually end up with an odd number.

One way to do things would be to have 4 groups of 5 and each play each other with the top 2 advancing to the last 8. But that might take too long?

So are we going down the road of giving some teams byes to the next round? :confused:

Probably the best and easiest thing to do. Have 4 preliminary round match-ups which will leave us with 16 teams, straightforward enough after that,

Whats the story, we not gona get anything done before oxegen?

iirc there are around 5 people that confirmed they are going to that and seing as you would want to give a few days notice between the draw and the first matchup id guess we wont. It would be good i guess to get the draw for matches up though as that could create good discussion/banter. Also the idea of the byes needs to be decided.

I mentioned previously that im going on holidays soon too, from the 7th to the 17th. If i have a game during that time should i nominate someone to be a "Caretaker manager" of sorts for my team when the thread for that match gets started?

iirc there are around 5 people that confirmed they are going to that and seing as you would want to give a few days notice between the draw and the first matchup id guess we wont. It would be good i guess to get the draw for matches up though as that could create good discussion/banter. Also the idea of the byes needs to be decided.

I mentioned previously that im going on holidays soon too, from the 7th to the 17th. If i have a game during that time should i nominate someone to be a "Caretaker manager" of sorts for my team when the thread for that match gets started?

Yeah oxegen is this Thursday-Monday, Im one of the crowd going, was just wondering are we going to be doing anything in the few days before it?

I'll do up the draw now. Byes are probably the best way to go about this. I'll throw up a couple of ties per day up until Oxegen begins.

Randomly done up using daftlogic.com
    Round 1

Match 1 - Mitch Connor vs Mr. Guappa (MON)

Match 2 - Archimedes vs LuckyLloyd (MON)

Match 3 - Gillington vs Mr. Nice Guy (TUES)

Match 4 - Frisbee vs Whatawaster (TUES)

Match 5 - Bounty Hunter vs Necromonicon (WEDS)

Match 6 - Minto vs Xavi6 (WEDS)

Match 7 - BigBenRoeth vs curry-muff (MON) *Break due to Oxegen*

Match 8 - Bamboozling vs SlickRic (MON)

Match 9 - redzerdrog vs Eagle Eye (TUES)

Match 10 - Titan18 vs Voltwad (TUES)
    Round 2

Match 11 - Winner of Match 1 vs Winner of Match 7

Match 12 - Winner of Match 5 vs Winner of Match 10

Match 13 - Winner of Match 3 vs Winner of Match 8

Match 14 - Winner of Match 4 vs Winner of Match 2

Match 15 - Winner of Match 6 vs Winner of Match 9

Round 3

One teams gets a buy : Winner of Match 12

Match 16 - Winner of Match 15 vs Winner of Match 14

Match 17 - Winner of Match 11 vs Winner of Match 13
    Round 4

One teams gets a buy : Winner of Match 17

Match 18 - Winner of Match 16 vs Winner of Match 12
    Final

Match 19 - Winner of Match 18 vs Winner of Match 17

Great work, cant wait for the fixtures, oh and saying I have to travel back up from Kildare to Donegal on the Monday I wont be on til late if at all :(

Anyone mind swapping with me, if thats ok with BigBenRoeth too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Good work Voltwad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can we have a list of who everyone has picked added here somewhere?

Handy guide to see who you're up against.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Can we have a list of who everyone has picked added here somewhere?

Handy guide to see who you're up against.

Here's my notes on it. I think this is accurate...
    1. Necronomicon - Messi, Forlan, Lahm, Keita, Cannavaro, Maxi Rodriguez, Zidane, Marchena, Schwarzer, Poulsen, M. Pereira
    2. SlickRic - Xavi, Terry, Anelka, Nesta, Krasic, Salcido, Maradona, Gilberto Silva, Cahill, Muslera, Pantsil
    3. Whatawaster - Ronaldo, Gourcuff, Evra, Fletcher, Ozil, Juan, Puskas, Tiago, Yobo, Geremi, James
    4. Gillington - Villa, D. Alves, Robinho, Ballack, S. Ramos, Heinze, Cruyff, Stekelenburg, Milner, Upson, Navas
    5. Frisbee - Rooney, Pique, D. Silva, Akinfeev, Van der Vaart, Heitinga, Pele, Van Bronckhorst, Meireles, Eboue, Muntari
    6. MNG - Drogba, Puyol, Samuel, Arshavin, Lloris, Song, Beckenbauer, Elano, Kolarov, Lee Chung-Yong, Lichtsteiner
    7. Mr. Guappa - Fabregas, Chiellini, A. Cole, Cech, Van Bommel, Van Der Wiel, Eusebio, Bruno Alves, Dempsey, Zokora
    8. Redzerdrog - Torres, Schweinsteiger, Mertesacker, Ronaldinho, Veron, Clichy, Platini, Kuyt, Demichelis, Sorensen, Demel
    9. Xavi - Lampard, Lucio, Milito, Given, Di Maria, Vidal, P. Maldini, Bradley, Pienaar, D.Perez, Belhadj
    10. Voltwad - Iniesta, Yaya Toure, Aguero, Alex, Howard, Gervinho, Shearer, Elia, Skrtel, Fucile, Assou-Ekotto
    11. Minto - Van Persie, Buffon, J. Cole, Beckham, Donovan, Zambrotta, Moore, Arbeloa, Diaby, Bocanegra, Bendtner
    12. BigBenRoeth - Palacios, Vidic, Klose, Modric, Bastos, Sagna, Matthews, Gallas, Barry, Hart, Nilmar
    13. Mitch Connor - Sneijder, De Rossi, Di Natale, Scholes, King, Mata, Muller, K. Toure, Criscito, Friedrich, Benaglio
    14. Curry-muff - Julio Cesar, Gerrard, Suarez, Ferdinand, Sanchez, Busquets, Van Basten, Carragher, Melo, Kalou, Albiol
    15. LuckyLloyd - Kaka, Mascherano, Carvalho, Zanetti, Stankovic, Park Ji-Sung, Baresi, Frei, Simao, Valdes, Warnock
    16. Titan18 - Fabiano, Maicon, Hamsik, Dzeko, Capdevila, Toulalan, Garrincha, Lugano, Coentrao, Handanovic, Mensah
    17. Bamboozling - Eto'o, Ribery, Pepe, Ibrahimovic, Johnson, De Jong, Matthaus, Neuer, Pedro, Godin, Boateng
    18. Bounty Hunter - Casillas, Higuain, Gattuso, Riquelme, Ivanovic, Henry, Bergkamp, Camoranesi, Subotic, Mathijsen, Burdisso
    19. Archimedes - Robben, Pirlo, Malouda, Essien, Agger, Kjaer, R. Baggio, Marquez, Affelay, Huntelaar, Ochoa
    20. Eagle eye - Alonso, Tevez, Reina, Cambiasso, Podolski, Abidal, Romario, da Silva, Honda, Isla, Alcaraz

Heres what I got, probably mistakes in it though:

1. Necronomicon - Messi, Diego Forlan, Lahm, Keita, Cannavaro, Maxi Rodriquez, Zidane, Marchena, Schwarzer, Christian Poulsen, Pareira
    2. SlickRic - Xavi, John Terry, Anelka, Alessandro Nesta, Krasic, Salcido, Maradona, Gilberto Silva, Cahill, Muselera, Pantsil
    3. Whatawaster - Ronaldo, Yoann Gourcuff, Evra, Darren Fletcher, Ozil, Juan, Puskas, Tiago, Yobo, Geremi, David James
    4. Gillington - Villa, Dani Alves, Robinho, Michael Ballack, Ramos, Heinze, Cryuff, Stekelenburg, Milner, Upson, Jesus Navas
    5. Frisbee - Rooney, Piqué, David Silva, Igor Akinfeev, Van der Vaart, Heitinga, Pele, Van Bronckhorst, Raul Meireles, Eboue, Muntari
    6. MNG - Drogba, Carles Puyol, Walter Samuel, Andrei Arshavin, Lloris, Song, Beckenbauer, Elano, Kolarov, Lee Chung-Yong, Lichtsteiner
    7. Mr. Guappa - Fabregas, Chiellini, Ashley Cole, Petr Cech, Van Bommel, Van der Wiel, Eusebio, Bruno Alves, Dempsey, Muller, Zokora
    8. Redzerdrog - Torres, Schweinsteiger, Per Mertesacker, Ronaldinho, Veron, Clichy, Platini, Kuyt, Demichelis, Sorensen, Demel
    9. Xavi - Lampard, Lucio, Diego Milito, Shay Given, Di Maria, Vidal, Maldini, Bradley, Pienaar, Perez, Belhadj
    10. Voltwad - Iniesta, Yaya Toure, Sergio Aguero, Alex, Howard, Gervinho, Shearer, Elia, Skrtel, Fucile, Assou-Ekotto
    11. Minto - Van Persie, Gianluigi Buffon, Joe Cole, David Beckham, Donovan, Zambrotta, Bobby Moore, Arbeloa, Diaby, Bocanegra, Bendtner
    12. BigBenRoeth - Palacios, Nemanja Vidic, Miroslav Klose, Luka Modric, Bastos, Sagna, Stanley Matthews, Gallas, Barry, Hart, Nilmar
    13. Mitch Connor - Sneijder, Danielle De Rossi, Di Natale, Paul Scholes, King, Mata, Gerd Muller, Kolo Toure, Criscito, Friedrich, Benalgio
    14. Curry-muff - Julio Cesar, Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Rio Ferdinand, Sanchez, Busquets, Marco van Basten, Carragher, Felipe Melo, Kalou, Raul Albiol
    15. LuckyLloyd - Kaka, Mascherano, Ricardo Carvalho, Javier Zanetti, Stankovic, Park Ji Sung, Franco Baresi, Frei, Simao, Valdes, Warnock
    16. Titan18 - Fabiano, Maicon, Marek Hamsik, Edin Dzeko, Capdevilla, Toulalan, Garrincha, Lugano, Coentrao, Handanovic, Mensah
    17. Bamboozling - Eto'o, Ribery, Pepe, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Glen Johnson, De Jong, Lothar Mattaus, Neuer, Pedro, Godin, Boateng
    18. Bounty Hunter - Casillas, Higuain, Gattuso, Riquelme, Ivanovic, Henry, Dennis Bergkamp, Camronesi, Subotic, Mathijisen, Burdisso
    19. Archimedes - Robben, Pirlo, Malouda, Michael Essien, Agger, Kjaer, Roberto Baggio, Marquez, Affelay, Huntelaar, Ochoa
    20. Eagle eye - Alonso, Tevez, Pepe Reina, Esteban Cambiasso, Podolski, Albidal, Romario, Da Silva, Honda, Isla, Alcaraz

Sorry, beaten to it :(

1. Necronomicon - Messi, Diego Forlan, Lahm, Keita, Cannavaro, Maxi Rodriquez, Zidane, Marchena, Schwarzer, Christian Poulsen, Pareira

18. Bounty Hunter - Casillas, Higuain, Gattuso, Riquelme, Ivanovic, Henry, Dennis Bergkamp, Camronesi, Subotic, Mathijisen, Burdisso

if we can make this an early kick off (say Wednesday Taiwan time :pac:) I wont need to hire a caretaker manager?

Messi, Zidane meh bring it on!

hmm thats a tough draw no.1!

Just double checked both lists, MNG is missing Van Der Vaart from Frisbees team, theyre identical otherwise ;)

• Advertisement

curry-muff wrote: »
    Just double checked both lists, MNG is missing Van Der Vaart from Frisbees team, theyre identical otherwise ;)

So he's not such a nice guy after all...

Frisbee wrote: »
    So he's not such a nice guy after all...

Not the first time someone is missing from your team because of me.

*cough* Song *cough*

;)

Not the first time someone is missing from your team because of me.

*cough* Song *cough*

;)

Banned.

: P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Archimedes has been banned from the soccer forum, so he's asked me to take over his team for him if that's okay with the rest of you?

Archimedes has been banned from the soccer forum, so he's asked me to take over his team for him if that's okay with the rest of you?

Seriously?/For how long?/What For? :pac:

• Advertisement

How long is he banned for? Maybe we can wait until its over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

curry-muff wrote: »
    Seriously?/For how long?/What For? :pac:

Ye im for serious, banned for a whole 6 months! Can't go into the specific's of why though! :(

Ye im for serious, banned for a whole 6 months! Can't go into the specific's of why though! :(

No way, he was probably the best poster of the last year or so :(

Well I reckon we should hold this thing up until he is back. I'm sure he will appeal it or something and even if he doesn't, I am willing to wait six months until he comes back. In all fairness you should have access when the voting is going on and when it finishes because if you end up winning you deserve to have an opportunity to brag about it.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I reckon we should hold this thing up until he is back. I'm sure he will appeal it or something and even if he doesn't, I am willing to wait six months until he comes back. In all fairness you should have access when the voting is going on and when it finishes because if you end up winning you deserve to have an opportunity to brag about it.

nice sentiment (hes a great poster and prob guy) and all but are you serious hold the WC draft up for 6months? The Premiership draft will even be over by then I would think. I hope he isnt banned / can appeal the ban even though at this point have no idea why he's banned but if I am on holidays im going to look to get a proxy manager in and if this thing isnt a joke he has already looked to do the same himself going by whats been said above.

Archimedes asked his pal to take over his team which I've personally no problen with. It'd be ridiculous to wait until Christmas to finish this off though. Essentially we still have to agree to a consensus on the voting system. I think it should be private with an additional few members who have shown continued interest in this but aren't competing being allowed to vote as well. In the event of a tie then we can use the SF as a decider.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Sounds fair to me Voltwad I've no problem with someone else taking Archimedes team,love to know what happened though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

If ye need a non competing voter lads I'd be happy to help out, I've followed pretty closely from the start.

Also if anyone objects to me I won't be offended honestly either btw. I have thick skin.:pac:

Anyone who's not taken part in the draft but has followed it actively can apply for voting rights via PM to myself.

How are the matches going to work? Will each match have its own thread? Do i put up my team and how I intend them to play and then we both get a chance to argue over why we should win?

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    How are the matches going to work? Will each match have its own thread? Do i put up my team and how I intend them to play and then we both get a chance to argue over why we should win?
    Each person makes a post with their team, formation etc in it. That's the minimum you have to do but it would be in your best interests to do a write up of some sort on how you think the match would unfold and why your team would win. I would suggest that only the people involved in the match post in the thread and that all of the discussion is kept to this thread here.

Having a caretaker manager for Arch's team seems the best option. Shame he is gone though.

Where do we post our write-ups? In the picks thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Having a caretaker manager for Arch's team seems the best option. Shame he is gone though.

Where do we post our write-ups? In the picks thread?

more an absolute disgrace that he is gone - for no good reason at all - than it is a shame.

Gillington wrote: »
    Sounds fair to me Voltwad I've no problem with someone else taking Archimedes team,love to know what happened though!

Feedback....

i actually thaught we would go through each of the rounds of picks and discuss who we thaught got good value for their pick and who picked someone way earlier than they should have been or something like that and then had the matches.

dont actually know why i was thinking that just had it in my head for some reason.

i actually thaught we would go through each of the rounds of picks and discuss who we thaught got good value for their pick and who picked someone way earlier than they should have been or something like that and then had the matches.

dont actually know why i was thinking that just had it in my head for some reason.
    By all means take that into account when voting but naturally it's the quality of the teams pitted against each other along with the players' World Cup, International and recent league form. I'll be throwing the first two match threads up shortly and voting will be open for 24 hours then.

just to clear things up the poll wont go up till both players make their posts and then after that its open for 24 hours?

Just put up my team and a brief outline of their roles.

just to clear things up the poll wont go up till both players make their posts and then after that its open for 24 hours?

Is there going to be a poll? I thought we were to PM our votes to Voltwad?

• Advertisement

do we comment here or in the match thread about our opinions on both teams?

Advertisement