Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

redzerdrog wrote: »
    do we comment here or in the match thread about our opinions on both teams?

we comment here.

methinks hes running the exact same format as i did recently in a knockout competition game over on boards PW which voltwad frequents. hmm wonder where he git that idea :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

ok i will be first in the firing line;)

both teams have obvious strenghts and weaknesses but I feel 2 picks in particular on mitchs team let him down picking di natale in the 3rd round i feel better players even made it til round 8 and the other is paul scholes in round 4 considering you are getting scholes on his current form and ability and mitch was the 8th pick i feel far far better options were picked further down the list or not picked at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hiya lads, will post something up later on. Was at work during the day so only am seeing all this in the last hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

can people (like me :)) not included in the draft comment about the match ups in here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

event wrote: »
    can people (like me :)) not included in the draft comment about the match ups in here?

personally, i'd see no reason why not.

• Advertisement

personally, i think Mr Guappa wins this, but not by much.

de Rossi and Scholes, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, would be a formidable midfield to come up against for anyone, and that axis through to Sneijder is what makes this a very tough one to call IMO.

they would win versus the van Bommel/Zokora/Cesc axis IMO.

but it is the rest of the team where this tie would swing in Mr Guappa's favour. his defence is quite formidable in this match-up, with Chiellini, Cole and Bruno Alves proving a solid basis, along with Cech as the last line. i think they will handle an inexperienced Mata and a meh enough di Natale, just fine, with Muller being their one real problem to deal with, along with the aforementioned Sneijder.

Mr Guappa has too many premier attacking options. Cesc, Muller (even though a rookie has lit up this WC), Dempsey and Eusebio provide a great threat, with my only worry being that their play could get a bit narrow. this may prove more of a problem in later rounds a lot will be expected of the full backs.

i think Criscito is a weak link in this regard, and will be exposed. i don't trust Toure enough, while King, while being a class performer, i don't think he quite has the pedigree and experience at the highest level to carry the majority of the resistence; which i predict he'd have to.

in conclusion (sorry it's a bit of a mess), i think Mitch's team would have a bit more of the ball with the class of Scholes, Sneijder and the bite of van Bommel, but Mr Guappa's class around the rest of the field would cause his team to do more damage with the ball when they have it.

i'd put it at 2/3-1 to Mr Guappa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Some interesting matchups:

Re: LuckyLloyd vs Archimedes

Archie's proxy made the following comment in his write-up:
    Lloyd may get Mascherano to cover Baggio, but Mascherano failed to cover a Kaka who had a fantastic game in the 2007 Champions League final

This is not true at all. Kaka was amazing in the 2005 final, but was kept completely quiet in 2007 by Mascherano, who had one of his best ever games in a Liverpool shirt.

Just thought i'd mention that. I'll try and comment in more detail on the two matches if i get a chance later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

This is not true at all. Kaka was amazing in the 2005 final, but was kept completely quiet in 2007 by Mascherano, who had one of his best ever games in a Liverpool shirt.

Just thought i'd mention that. I'll try and comment in more detail on the two matches if i get a chance later.
    I respectfully disagree. Kaka was quiet early on in the match, but grew into game more and more as it progressed, culminating in a fantastic assist for Inzaghi's second goal of the night. The Guardian ended up giving him a match rating of 8. Masch did make some good tackles on him during the game but was also caught out of position several times. I know Masch came off towards the end, but to say he kept Kaka "completely quiet" isn't quite right. Baggio, who is a superior player to Kaka, would cause him even more problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Actually the both played really well. They were two of the best players on the pitch in that final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

How does the voting work in this lads?

• Advertisement

I'm not sold on Mr Guappa's defense at all. Chiellini is coming off a poor world cup and a nightmare season with Juventus. Bruno Alves had a great World Cup but I don't like Zokora at all because he gives away too many free kicks. Van der Wiel(who I wanted) impressed in the group stages but he has been less than impressive in the knockout stages so far and misses the semi-final. Your attacking midfield is not going to give you much help defensively either. I don't like where you have Dempsey playing either.

Having said that I am not at all convinced by Scholes in a holding role. I think Mitch's team really is weak at full back, with Friedrich average at best in a right back role, he is a centre-back that was used by Germany at right back and Criscito on the other side is nothing spectacular either.

The probem I have here is that I do see Zokora giving away free kicks and Sneijder will murder you if you give away a couple of free kicks.

In the end though I think that Mitch is just too weak on the left side and I'd expect Fabregas to cause all sorts of problems with Muller running off his shoulder and opening up Mitch's defense. And Fabregas is pretty mean from a dead ball too if you get fouled.

I will go 3-2 to Mr Guappa. Sorry Mitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

flahavaj wrote: »
    How does the voting work in this lads?

As I understand it we have 24 hours after the posting of each match thread to PM our votes to Voltwad. So basically we have until a little after 1pm tomorrow to get our votes in for the ones put up today.

i can see the archi v lloyd game being very close to call. i like archi,s team but a couple of problems i have with it is the defence which i see conceding a lot its just a question can they score more than the opposition. The 2nd 1 is the choice of captain isnt the best imo.

also in his teamtalk he says essien is the best box to box midfielder around. well is he playing box to box or as a holding midfielder?

the voting should be 24 hours after both players post their team because by the looks of things if the thread goes up during the day but both teams arent in till that night then i will not get to vote on a lot of games as havent internet access during the day.

Do we even need a 24 hr time limit each day for the votes? I'm not sure that's going to work out. From my experience of doing the wrestling draft I found people were often late in submitting votes.

How about we just set a deadline of 48 hours after the last game of the round finishes to have all of the round's votes in? Then Voltwad can announce the results to us after that.

I think that's going to be more workable and will probably be easier for Voltwad to manage.

I received a PM from Archimedes informing me that he intends to withdraw from the competition and provide me with a walkover to round 2. Can Voltwad confirm this please?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I received a PM from Archimedes informing me that he intends to withdraw from the competition and provide me with a walkover to round 2. Can Voltwad confirm this please?

i don't know when you got that PM, but i'm pretty sure Archi has a proxy, JohnnyRyan99, acting on his behalf.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i don't know when you got that PM, but i'm pretty sure Archi has a proxy, JohnnyRyan99, acting on his behalf.

It was at 10pm, and I've just received a follow up one now reconfirming his intention to withdraw from the competition in full. He had intended having a proxy act on his behalf, but would now prefer to step aside as part of his decision to leave the forum for 6 months voluntarily.

Pity, as a lot of time went into his team and write up. I assume Archi will confirm the above with voltwad in due course.

His Feedback thread says he's voluntarily leaving the board for 6 months also.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Right, just to be clear, when does my vote have to be in, and it does have to be via pm to voltwad, yes?

• Advertisement

Whats this pm business? Put a poll up on the thread.

I'm going to PM him mine now. I believe it was 24 hours from the time of the thread being started.

I still think it would be best to scrap the 24 hr deadline and leave out deadlines until after all the matches are done.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Would it be better to put all fixtures up, and send one pm with all votes?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Ye just wanna clarify for the sceptics.. Archie is pulling his team out..

Eh, polls in threads please and we count registered voters. No way jose to PM votes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

So how are we voting then?

Is there going to be a poll or is it by PM?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

id say by poll if only to save Voltwad getting hundreds of pms during this thing (well he would have that if everyone voted after more than 5 matches) but again ill miss many votes going on holidays now for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I wouldn't have minded PMs as I can be trusted despite what some people might think. I'll only be counting the votes of participants and those who requested to be allowed vote though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

I respectfully disagree. Kaka was quiet early on in the match, but grew into game more and more as it progressed, culminating in a fantastic assist for Inzaghi's second goal of the night. The Guardian ended up giving him a match rating of 8. Masch did make some good tackles on him during the game but was also caught out of position several times. I know Masch came off towards the end, but to say he kept Kaka "completely quiet" isn't quite right. Baggio, who is a superior player to Kaka, would cause him even more problems.

this is true, but only when mascherano was taken off as liverpool chased the game

he was poor when mascherano was on the pitch, but when he was withdrawn, kaka started to run the show

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    this is true, but only when mascherano was taken off as liverpool chased the game

he was poor when mascherano was on the pitch, but when he was withdrawn, kaka started to run the show

To be fare Masch was subbed with 12 minutes left, i find it hard to believe a player could do nothing for 78 minutes and still receive an 8/10, with many people also saying he was one of the best on the field. Masch did play very well, but so did Kaka, it was a tremendous battle. One of which Baggio, a greater player, would fair better. I no this means little to this thread now with the circumstances so it's the last ill say on the matter.

Were the next two games not supposed to start today no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Frisbee wrote: »
    Were the next two games not supposed to start today no?

Ya.. Gillington v. MNG and yourself v. Whatawaster should be starting today

Serious apologies for the lack of games up today lads. I ended up getting a phonecall for a last minute job interview at the Aviva Stadium which meant I haven't been at the computer all day. Was hoping someone would take initiative and put the fixtures up anyway (hence having two people running this would have been smoother). I'll throw the two up now anyway if that's ok.

Volt how does voting work for this I'm very confused? :confused:

Volt how does voting work for this I'm very confused? :confused:
    Just vote after they've posted man.

• Advertisement

Voltwad, the poll in my thread isn't public. Will a new one have to be done?

Voltwad, the poll in my thread isn't public. Will a new one have to be done?
    Oops.

Surely a mod can edit it?

I'm not sure if that can be edited because I remember Bounty Hunter did something similar on the wrestling board and couldn't alter it.

Nope I can't, throw up a new one there and once you've done that and MNG has copied his stuff I'll delete the first one.

Feel free to delete it Frisbee. I've copied it now thanks. :cool:

• Advertisement

Grand deleted there so Voltwad lash up a new one there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'll do write up in morning I'm away from computer atm.

Maybe I'm blind, but I see match one, then matches three and four... where's two?

Edit: Yep, I am blind

Doesn't appear to have a poll though?

Maybe I'm blind, but I see match one, then matches three and four... where's two?

Edit: Yep, I am blind

Doesn't appear to have a poll though?
    Lloyd got a walkover man

Voltwad wrote: »
    Lloyd got a walkover man
    Ah of course :o

If we're to comment on a particular match to say for example why a certain person got our vote do we do it in the match thread or in here?

Frisbee wrote: »
    If we're to comment on a particular match to say for example why a certain person got our vote do we do it in the match thread or in here?
    Ideally keep it in here until the voting is closed so as not to influence others

If I was to go on posts in the thread then Mr Nice Guy would kick Gillington's backside all day long.

However when you look at the teams I don't see MNG getting past midfield very often. I think his team is very disjointed and he is looking for Beckenbaur to be everywhere. He talks about counter attacking but he is the one thats more likely to be destroyed on the counter imo. I just don't think its likely he will score very often if at all.

Gillington is weak at the back imo and tbh if MNG had somebody that could control midfield instead of Beckenbaur I would really fancy him to win handily.

As it stands though I think 2-0 Gillington. Sorry Mr Nice Guy.

I think MNG takes this. He has the best defence in the game. While Gillington has a phenomenal front 3, MNG's team is the best placed in the game to nullify them. I like the use of Beckenbauer. His midfield in solid and in attack Drogba ia a handful for any defence, ably assisted by Arshavin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I think MNG takes this. He has the best defence in the game. While Gillington has a phenomenal front 3, MNG's team is the best placed in the game to nullify them. I like the use of Beckenbauer. His midfield in solid and in attack Drogba ia a handful for any defence, ably assisted by Arshavin.

Agreed. Looking at both lineups I keep getting drawn to the match up of Upson and Drogba. It's just no contest. Drogba is much stronger. Even with Ramos helping out I can see Drogba getting the ball and playing it through into his two pacey stike partners. In fact Ramos would probably spend most of his time trying to join the attack!, Dani Alves would be doing the same, leaving Heinze and Upson back, both of whom would struggle against quick attackers.

Also I don't think Robinho and Villa would work well either for Gillington up front. Both like to play more on the wing, cutting in to the middle. Navas is also a winger. As good as Cruyff is he is known for continually moving position. I think this would leave the team with no recognised 'target man' and reduce the forwards to trying to play through the defense. With a 5-man defense, including possibly the best sweeper ever, this would be difficult to say the least.

It would be a close game but I think MNG wins it 2-1.

• Advertisement
Advertisement