Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its all well and good saying that Drogba would cause problems, I fully agree with that but tell me how the ball is getting up to Drogba? Like the way I see it is he loses possession in midfield all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its all well and good saying that Drogba would cause problems, I fully agree with that but tell me how the ball is getting up to Drogba? Like the way I see it is he loses possession in midfield all the time.

I'd imagine a long ball or two wouldn't go astray. I think Drogba would be favourite in any aerial challenge and he could knock it down to Arshavin. Also Arshavin has the ability to drop deep into midfield, pick up the ball and take on a few players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Just a quick question, can anyone vote on this, like im not in it this time so should i not vote? either way i don't mind, im just asking.

if im not, you should take away a vote for Gillington because i voted before asking this :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Just a quick question, can anyone vote on this, like im not in it this time so should i not vote? either way i don't mind, im just asking.

if im not, you should take away a vote for Gillington because i voted before asking this :o
    Only people participating and then a select few who've been following this the whole way through. Anyone else's vote wont be included in the final tally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Frisbee v Whatawaster is the closest call yet.

i changed my mind 4 or 5 times.

it's so even, but what edged it for Frisbee, IMO, was tbe respective defences. they'll handle whatawaster's attack better than whatawaster's defence will his. just.

but i still think it'd end 3-2/4-2 in a high-scoring game.

in reality, i'd love to have been able to choose a draw for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

SlickRic wrote: »
    Frisbee v Whatawaster is the closest call yet.

i changed my mind 4 or 5 times.

it's so even, but what edged it for Frisbee, IMO, was tbe respective defences. they'll handle whatawaster's attack better than whatawaster's defence will his. just.

but i still think it'd end 3-2/4-2 in a high-scoring game.

in reality, i'd love to have been able to choose a draw for this game.

I can't decide on a winner in either games 3 or 4. I've changed my mind on both a few times now. I'm gonna leave it until later to vote when I'm more decisive!

Two very high standard arguments and decent sides in both matches. I'll be leaving it a while before deciding too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I'll admit I got beat hands down in the write-up for my match against MNG his was awesome,then looking at some of the other games mine is paltry in comparison! I was hoping to get it done before training last night,I should have written it up and saved it so Im not blaming you Voltwad! But then I wasnt in the right frame of mind after training but thought if I left it til today I'd be screwed! Anyways I'm off to Oxegen in a while so wont be back til Monday and probably wont be functional til Tuesday just to let ye lot know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

in the MNG and gillington match up, id be torn.

an amazing attack coming up against a quality defense. personally i have to go with gillington. i dont think MNG has enough going forward. He has drogba, who is immense. arshaving is good in flashes and im not convinced about lee c y at all. i dont know if the kaiser will be able to get forward as much as he likes, as the fear of a counter could be too much.

i think the forward line of villa and robinho, supported by cruyff would be too much. but it would be tight, id say 1-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I went for MNG, mainly because a central defense of Ramos and Upson will get you nowhere.

in the Frisbee vs whatawaster clash, i went for frisbee

for me, i think the battles between the attackers tips in frisbees favour. i dont rate jobo, juan or geremi at all. i think rooney, pele and silva, with their movement and pace would tear them apart. there is no doubt frisbee would be caused trouble by puskas, ronaldo and ozil, but i think they have enough to deal with it. i can see muntari being able to drop back and help out when the wingers are attacking.

i could see this game going 2-1 in frisbees favour

I went for MNG, mainly because a central defense of Ramos and Upson will get you nowhere.

100% what swung me too.

you cannot do that well with that central defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Just a forewarning, im off to oxegen tomorrow and my match is on monday, I might not be on til late on monday if at all. Bus journey back to donegal being way too long and all :pac:

curry-muff wrote: »
    Just a forewarning, im off to oxegen tomorrow and my match is on monday, I might not be on til late on monday if at all. Bus journey back to donegal being way too long and all :pac:
    I'll be sure to post it up on Monday evening then no worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I went for MNG as he has more than enough to deal with what Gillington can throw at him and Gillington, as stated, has a highly unreliable central defensive partnership. Alves is going to spend far too much time getting forward to help out an already weak defence.
    Milner, while a good player, is not suited to being the sitting player so there isn't even much of a defensive shield in front of Ramos/Upson to help them out aside from Ballack.

• Advertisement

Can we get a list of those with votes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Can we get a list of those with votes?

+1

All 20 participants (19 I guess now) and
    Smegball
    ScienceNerd
    T-B0n3
    flahavaj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Eagle Eye, regarding your PM there, if you call it 200 quid you'll have my vote no bother.:pac:

I withdraw from this. Some people will read that and think I did pm him.

• Advertisement

I hope all Blackburn fans aren't this moody as I'm off to Ewood on the first day of the season.

Voltwad wrote: »
    I hope all Blackburn fans aren't this moody as I'm off to Ewood on the first day of the season.
    You decide I'm moody now:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm not sure if you're joking. I hope you are. But just in case you're not.

Eagle Eye did not PM me. It was my idea of a light hearted joke, meant in a light hearted way. Eagle Eye has never ever PM'd me ever. Anyone who honestly thought he had offered me a substantial cash bribe to rig a fantasy football competition on a football message board deserves to have their fingers chopped off so they can never use a computer again.

Jaysus.

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're joking. I hope you are. But just in case you're not.

Eagle Eye did not PM me. It was my idea of a light hearted joke, meant in a light hearted way. Eagle Eye has never ever PM'd me ever. Anyone who honestly thought he had offered me a substantial cash bribe to rig a fantasy football competition on a football message board deserves to have their fingers chopped off so they can never use a computer again.

Jaysus.
    I was only re-leveling:pac:

Oops better quote that before you edit.:D

You decide I'm moody now:confused:
    Well it was difficult to know whether or not you were joking there in my defence :pac:

I voted for MNG and Frisbee in their respective matches. Both were close run decisions.

I went with MNG because any ball played into Drogba would cause panic in Gillingtons backline. I don't think MNGs team would see a lot of the ball but I think they will just about withstand the pressure and Gillington is not set-up defensively to deal with Drogba. I'll go 2-1 MNG.

I chose Frisbee over whatawaster mainly because I think his attackers will have more success against whatawasters defence than vice versa. If whatawaster had a trio of say Ronaldo-Ozil-Pedro in behind Puskas then I would have voted the other way. I just don't rate Gourcuff that highly.

P.S. Commiserations to Mitch after his defeat in our hard-fought contest.

Are Minto and Xavi6 okay to go ahead with their match in the morning? I'm aware we've Oxegen and I know BH is going to be away for a few days so his match will probably have to wait.

I'll be looking for people to play their matches over the next few days to keep this thing going so if you're available then please state so.

Are Minto and Xavi6 okay to go ahead with their match in the morning? I'm aware we've Oxegen and I know BH is going to be away for a few days so his match will probably have to wait.

I'll be looking for people to play their matches over the next few days to keep this thing going so if you're available then please state so.

Running it means we wont be able to vote, can we not hold off til monday?

Aye indeed if thats okay with everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I will possibly be here at some stage tomorrow, but I can't guarantee it! I'm working for most of the rest of the weekend, so if Xavi6 and the rest of you don't mind, Monday would prob be best for me. But I know that'd hold things up, so if you want to go ahead with it tomorrow, I will try make some sort of post!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

firstly thanks for rearanging my match till a later date, apart from that though im guessing now that oxygen has ended this will be back going today and after this bump, btw this is my single time ive been online and for only a few minutes, ill be back in Tiawan where I live and have net access next Sunday, if that is too much of a delay you can eliminate me our someone can act as my proxy (i did actually post on the PW off topic thread saying expected id need one before i left saying if saying if anyone wanted the job to pop in here).

After Sunday I will atleast vpte on matches... now off to monkey island!

firstly thanks for rearanging my match till a later date, apart from that though im guessing now that oxygen has ended this will be back going today and after this bump, btw this is my single time ive been online and for only a few minutes, ill be back in Tiawan where I live and have net access next Sunday, if that is too much of a delay you can eliminate me our someone can act as my proxy (i did actually post on the PW off topic thread saying expected id need one before i left saying if saying if anyone wanted the job to pop in here).

After Sunday I will atleast vpte on matches... now off to monkey island!
    If you want to appoint someone to temporarily manage your side then no worries just do it sharpish as we should really aim to get through the matches quickly. Once I get confirmation from today's participants I'll throw the games up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm ready whenever

i'm here.

if you put up my match with bamboozling, i'll have my take on it done in by 3/4 ish.

Okay I'll throw them up now in a bit

Yeah Im back now too, so put up our match whenever you want ;)

I went for Bamboozling to beat SlickRic. I think Bamboozlings attacking quartet will have too much class for Slicks backline. The shape of Slicks team is a bit lop-sided and I think they can be got at on their left flank. The Cahill pick, while great value in the late rounds, has really upset the balance of the team IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

SlickRic vs bamboozling is a really tough one. Both seem to think they will win it by a few goals but I don't see it that way at all.

I think Slick has the better central defence and feel bamboozling has the better full-backs and keeper. As for the legends I think I'm right in saying Maradona referred to Matthaeus as his toughest ever opponent so it would be quite an epic clash.

What concerns me most about bamboozling is having Johnson at right-back, especially if Anelka and Maradona interchange. Not sure about Pedro on the right side either. I think that area could see bamboozling concede goals. I'm also not crazy about bamboozling not having a plan to deal with Maradona. Even if Maradona is utilised on the left, that doesn't mean he's not going to have an effect. A lot would depend on Ribery against Pantsil but I thought Pantsil had a solid tournament unlike Ribery so by the rules of the game I think Ribery will not have it easy. I disagree with bamboozling that Pantsil is a poor and limited player. I don't think that at all.

A concern I have for Slick's team though is I'm not sold on Gilberto in the centre. I think Matthaeus and De Jong could really dominate there and stifle Xavi's influence. Matthaeus is also deadly from long range and we saw Muslera struggle with a shot from distance against Germany in the tournament.

Honestly I could see this game ending something like 2-2. That's not sufficient enough an answer for this game though. Ultimately the Matthaeus factor and the fact I think bamboozling has more form players in his side swings it for me. Sorry Slick but I'd have to say maybe 3-2 to bamboozling in a close contest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Mr. Nice guy I heeded your advice and I have edited my last post in the match thread and put in my plan to stop Maradona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

It pains me to say this, but I have to pull out lads! I hate doing this as I really want to do it again with the proposed Premier League draft. Real life has become quite real in the last 24 hours and I don't feel I can do my team justice. If someone (anyone) wants to adopt 11 homeless players, they are more than welcome. Thanks lads, had loads of fun and will try to at vote in as many of the matches as I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Minto wrote: »
    It pains me to say this, but I have to pull out lads! I hate doing this as I really want to do it again with the proposed Premier League draft. Real life has become quite real in the last 24 hours and I don't feel I can do my team justice. If someone (anyone) wants to adopt 11 homeless players, they are more than welcome. Thanks lads, had loads of fun and will try to at vote in as many of the matches as I can.

Not to worry I'm sure someone will take your team on for you

i would take on minto's team if no one else wanted to, or if there were no objections

what is his first eleven?

so, whats the story?

event wrote: »
    so, whats the story?
    I think at this stage we're so far behind schedule I'd be inclined to just give the walkover from his match if that's okay.

yeah, no problem at all

was just an option for ye if yiz needed someone

• Advertisement

Match 1 - Mitch Connor vs Mr. Guappa

Match 2 - Archimedes vs LuckyLloyd

Match 3 - Gillington vs Mr. Nice Guy

Match 4 - Frisbee vs Whatawaster

Match 5 - Bounty Hunter vs Necromonicon (TBC)

Match 6 - Minto vs Xavi6

Match 7 - BigBenRoeth vs curry-muff (TODAY)

Match 8 - Bamboozling vs SlickRic

Match 9 - redzerdrog vs Eagle Eye (TODAY)

Match 10 - Titan18 vs Voltwad (WEDS)

I'm on now,will have a bit of a post up in a while.

Anyone know what Bounty Hunter's situation is? I suppose we could give him a couple more days before his match but I remember him talking about appointing an interim manager for his side. Was anyone appointed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Walkover ftw ;)

Apologies for not voting on the first few threads guys, I was away and missed them.

Right my post is up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement