Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

post up

feedback welcomed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

redzerdrog wrote: »
    post up

feedback welcomed

Good post,be interesting to see what the other lad comes up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Post up, sorry for taking so long ;)

Give us a while and i'll have a comeback done,didn't know we were allowed vote for ourselves :P

Give us a while and i'll have a comeback done,didn't know we were allowed vote for ourselves :P

Not sure if we are, I just seen other people doing it and thought id do it too :pac:

curry-muff wrote: »
    Not sure if we are, I just seen other people doing it and thought id do it too :pac:

Makes no difference if both players do it anyway does it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

eagle eye and redzerdog both have impressive line-ups, but i just can't see past the midfield area.

Cambiasso and Alonso is one of the best central partnerships in the game, and i just don't see Schweinsteiger and Veron having enough to compete in there.

while Redzerdog's attack is enviable, it won't be enough, because eagle eye's attack is honestly just as potent.

eagle eye 2/3-1 for me.

SlickRic wrote: »
    eagle eye and redzerdog both have impressive line-ups, but i just can't see past the midfield area.

Cambiasso and Alonso is one of the best central partnerships in the game, and i just don't see Schweinsteiger and Veron having enough to compete in there.

while Redzerdog's attack is enviable, it won't be enough, because eagle eye's attack is honestly just as potent.

eagle eye 2/3-1 for me.

Have to disagree solely based on eagles defense v redzers attack, just look at it one more time ;)

Have to disagree solely based on eagles defense v redzers attack, just look at it one more time ;)

and have a look at redzer's defence there one more time ;)

Dimichelis, Clichy and Mertesacker? and a dodgy Sorensen. eh, no thanks.

Podolski has few peers at international level for Germany, Romario is a World Cup great (people forget how awesome he was), Tevez has been awesome for a long time now, and Alonso and Cambiasso is as solid a basis as you can ask for.

eagle eye's defence is a form defence. not the most eye-catching, or riddled with big names, but it just had a great World Cup all round. and Reina behind (though i accept he must have 'points' deducted due to him not being first choice), but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I thought this was the hardest match to decide so far.Redzerdrog has a very good attack, a good midfield and an ok defense.Eagle Eye has an ok defense, a good midfield and a good attack.Could see this game go to penalties or a late goal for either side.Don't think either would dominate the match as I think the midfield pairings would even each other out.Went for Redzerdrog as I think he'd shade it but it's a toss up either way tbh

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    Redzerdrog has a very good attack, a good midfield and an ok defense.Eagle Eye has an ok defense, a good midfield and a good attack.

how anyone can put both pairs of CMs on a level playing field is beyond me.

honestly.

sorry redzer, by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I went for eagle eye over redzerdrog. That's a pretty formidable attack and central midfield eagle eye has and I'm not too sure about redzerdrog's chances of containing it. Romario, Tevez and an in-form Honda would be quite a force. As we're supposed to take WC form into consideration along with PL form, I think that devalues Torres in this game. Ultimately I'd be more confident of eagle eye stopping redzerdrog than vice-versa.

As for the other match-up with BigBenRoeth and curry-muff, I found that very tough to decide and could see plenty of goals for both teams. What swung it for me was I think curry-muff has the edge up front and I think he would win the midfield battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I went for Eagle Eye, his defence is rock solid without having any so called star names. His midfield bas pairing of Alonso and Cambiasso is magnificent and would not only protect the defence really well, they would also both be well able to play the ball forward extremely well. Good and all as Schweiney is, he'd struggle against those two and I'm not sure how much his all action style could compensate for the veteran Veron's decreased mobility. Both attacks are very good, but this game was won and lost in the centre of the park for me.

Its tough on Redzer that he came uo against such a good team so early as he'd have beaten a good few of the other teams IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I went for eagleeye in his match-up, I think his central midfield is stronger and his team will work harder when not in possession.

I went for BigBenRoeth to beat curry-muff, I don't think curry-muff has the players to keep hold of possession, and I can see Matthews and Modric doing damage.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I went for eagleeye in his match-up, I think his central midfield is stronger and his team will work harder when not in possession.

I went for BigBenRoeth to beat curry-muff, I don't think curry-muff has the players to keep hold of possession, and I can see Matthews and Modric doing damage.

I think you're just saying that because you play the winner in the next round :p

SlickRic wrote: »
    how anyone can put both pairs of CMs on a level playing field is beyond me.

honestly.

sorry redzer, by the way!

I'd put world cup form over anything else.Imo,Xabi Alonso was poor, Schweinsteiger was excellent and Veron played well when he was on,particularly the opening game.If it was just on talent and ability alone,I'd give it to Eagle Eye though.

Also,if you take their 3 central players in midfield/attack, of Cambiasso,Alonso and Honda compared to Schweinsteiger,Veron and Platini,I'd go with Redzerdrog again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I think you're just saying that because you play the winner in the next round :p

Never!! I do think your XI versus BigBens would have a close game, I'm surprised at the one-sided voting and I think he would just edge it.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Never!! I do think your XI versus BigBens would have a close game, I'm surprised at the one-sided voting and I think he would just edge it.

That has somewhat eased the hurt that my butt is enduring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That has somewhat eased the hurt that my butt is enduring.
    I had to vote for Curry-Muff too but I'll explain why now.

Its all to do with your formation. Imo you have the players to win that match but your setup is terrible imo. Sorry to say that but it might be of some use to you again in another draft.

If you had set your team up like this you would have got my vote and I suspect a lot more too.

Hart
    Gallas
    Vidic
    Sagna
    Bastos
    Palacios
    Barry
    Modric
    Matthews
    Nilmar
    Klose

• Advertisement

I had considered using a 4-3-3 like that and also a kind of 4-1-3-1-1 set up but thaught the 442 was the best choice.

I had considered using a 4-3-3 like that and also a kind of 4-1-3-1-1 set up but thaught the 442 was the best choice.
    Yeah I'd have had to think about it long and hard with a 4-3-3 too.

Congrats to Curry-muff.

I am quite butthurt but I'll still stay involved in this draft voting and commenting on the other matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Made my post. Feedback welcome.

redzer, your midfield would compete, but to suggest schweinsteiger is better than Cambiasso as a DM, and Veron is equal to Alonso is mad to be honest.

at the absolute most optimistic i'd put Schweini = Alonso in a playmaker role (being very kind, and purely based on this past WC).

and Cambiasso kills Veron as a DM.

also Platini is of course better than Honda at AM.

well cambiasso wasnt at the wc so it is hard to judge but schweinsteiger played as a dm for the majoriy of the wc and he has been the stand out midfielder of the tournament he has also played that role for the past year for bayern munich and had a brilliant year for them aswell. just because he is a brilliant playmaker doesnt mean he cant defend aswell.

on world cup performance (which eagle eye has based his whole defence on) veron was better than alonso in a lot of peoples eyes, but I would have then even enough.

and honda isnt even on the same planet as platini.

• Advertisement

on world cup performance (which eagle eye has based his whole defence on) veron was better than alonso in a lot of peoples eyes, but I would have then even enough.

if you honestly think Alonso and Veron are even, even at the last World Cup only, then I can't help.

and if you think as holding midfielders Schweinsteiger is proven to be better than Cambiasso, again I can't help. what i will say on that is, defensively in midfield, in the Champions League final, Cambiasso was THE outstanding player on the pitch. we have to compare them on other criteria, not just WC as Cambiasso was somehow not there.

Congrats to Curry-muff.

I am quite butthurt but I'll still stay involved in this draft voting and commenting on the other matches.

Cheers, commiserations to you, I honestly expected it to be tighter than it was, you had a pretty good team :o

Ah come on man. Isla, Abidal, Cambiasso, Alonso, Tevez, Reina all were excellent for their clubs this past season.

Romario is my legend.

da Silva had injury problems all season but Sunderland fans will tell you he was brilliant for them when he played.

Alcaraz was an ever present for Club Brugge who finished second in the Belgian League.

Honda only moved to CSKA in January so we didn't get much chance to see him but he has started 11 of their 12 games and has 2 goals for his new team. He cost them 6 million and they are already in a position to make a huge profit with Arsenal, Liverpool and AC Milan among a host of teams that are interested in signing him.

Podolski's international record speaks for itself. Some say he didn't have a great season at club level but he is back playing for Cologne and spends more time defending for them than attacking. He plays left midfield for them too.

Long post done, any feedback welcome of course.

I think at the moment that only 15 of the 23 have voted in the matchup between Redzerdog and myself which is a bit disappointing tbh. Actually it seems to be a common occurence and its the same peope voting every game.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    Long post done, any feedback welcome of course.
    Your centre of midfield is very weak, your wings are very strong Titan. I haven't made a decision yet about what way to go but thats the first thing that struck me.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think at the moment that only 15 of the 23 have voted in the matchup between Redzerdog and myself which is a bit disappointing tbh. Actually it seems to be a common occurence and its the same peope voting every game.

There are a few who can't vote tbh or are unable to be online.Think we've lost about 3 or 4 now unfortunately

Your centre of midfield is very weak, your wings are very strong Titan. I haven't made a decision yet about what way to go but thats the first thing that struck me.

I would kinda agree with that tbh.Out of all the central pairings in the competition,mine are one of the weakest, but Toulalan rarely lets a team down, even for France,he was one of their better players and along with one or two others,looked like he actually cared, and Hamsik is a very good player who I am a big fan of.Would love United to sign him and pair him alongside Fletcher tbh.He didn't have the best WC but a lot of big name players didn't and he was fantastic this season for Napoli.In this competion,they're weak enough, but they're both good players

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My laptop charger broke and only got it fixed now so hadn't been online properly since Sunday.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

My laptop charger broke and only got it fixed now so hadn't been online properly since Sunday.
    Are you gonna vote in the match between me and Redzerdog?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I will now, thought the voting had closed, but evidently not

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Eagle Eye got my vote.
    And Titan in the other match.

I went for Voltwad because the he is going to win the central midfield battler and quite easily. Titan will be trying to keep it wide but once it hits the centre of the park he is in awful trouble imo. Toulalon and Hamsik were both letdowns(for want of a better word) in the World Cup. I'm not convinced by his central defensive pairing either.

Titan is very strong down the flanks but he is depending on crosses to get goals and between Howard, Skrtel and Alex I don't see him having much success there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm torn on this one to be honest. Very even match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

i went for Voltwad in his match vs titan1

i think the midfield will be won by voltwad, he will have too much power and guile in Toure and iniesta.

garrincha would murder fucile but i dont think its enough. the combo of aguero and shearer would be too much

• Advertisement

Looks like I've snook through by one vote if I can add properly.

Any suggestions what to do with Necro and BH?

Voltwad wrote: »
    Looks like I've snook through by one vote if I can add properly.

Any suggestions what to do with Necro and BH?

iirc BH is on holiday somewhere in Asia, think he said it would be for a week but not sure how long ago that was :pac:

Is necro not active either?

Necro is, I don't want to annoy people by putting off the Q/F stage much longer. Would people be okay with starting it on Monday? Thus giving Bounty Hunter the chance to make an appearance over the weekend.

Nobody has voted on myself and eagle in about a day so does this mean I am thru???

I taught bounty hunter was letting someone else manage his team???

First Round winners
    Match 1 - Mr. Guappa
    Match 2 - LuckyLloyd
    Match 3 - Mr. Nice Guy
    Match 4 - Frisbee
    Match 5 - Bounty Hunter/Necromonicon (Hopefully will be sorted by Sunday)
    Match 6 - Xavi6
    Match 7 - curry-muff
    Match 8 - Bamboozling
    Match 9 - redzerdrog
    Match 10 - Voltwad

Round 2
    Match 11 - Mr. Guappa vs curry-muff (MON)

Match 12 - Bounty Hunter/Necromonicon vs Voltwad (MON)

Match 13 - Mr. Nice Guy vs bamboozling (TUES)

Match 14 - Frisbee vs LuckyLloyd (TUES)

Match 15 - Xavi6 vs Redzerdrog (WEDS)

Round 3
    One teams gets a bye : Winner of Match 12

Match 16 - Winner of Match 15 vs Winner of Match 14

Match 17 - Winner of Match 11 vs Winner of Match 13

Round 4
    Round 4

bye : Winner of Match 17

Match 18 - Winner of Match 16 vs Winner of Match 12

Final
    Final

Match 19 - Winner of Match 18 vs Winner of Match 17

Nobody has voted on myself and eagle in about a day so does this mean I am thru???

I taught bounty hunter was letting someone else manage his team???
    The votes only stay open for 24 hours. You've qualified for the next round. See the above post :)

what happen the match with minto and xavi? did xavi get a walkover?

what happen the match with minto and xavi? did xavi get a walkover?
    Yeah Minto had to pull out for personal reasons unfortunately.

I honestly am stunned I lost my match. I honestly think that I would hockey his team everytime we played.

Anyways best of luck Redzerdog.

I don't really know how to vote from here on in. Should I vote how I feel things would go? Or should I change and not respect good defensive units anymore?

• Advertisement

I honestly am stunned butthurt I lost my match. I honestly think that I would hockey his team everytime we played.
    :pac:

Advertisement