Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

eagle eye wrote: »
    I honestly am stunned I lost my match. I honestly think that I would hockey his team everytime we played.

Anyways best of luck Redzerdog.

I don't really know how to vote from here on in. Should I vote how I feel things would go? Or should I change and not respect good defensive units anymore?

I'm pretty much the same with my match against Voltwad.My team isn't the best in the competition,but I really think I'd beat Voltwad.

But anyways,good luck to Voltwad and the others for the rest of the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm pretty much the same with my match against Voltwad.My team isn't the best in the competition,but I really think I'd beat Voltwad.

But anyways,good luck to Voltwad and the others for the rest of the competition.
    Everyone's gonna feel the same to an extent, but it was the closest match yet with just a single vote in it. And in circumstances where not everyone voted, you were unlucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I honestly am stunned I lost my match. I honestly think that I would hockey his team everytime we played.

Anyways best of luck Redzerdog.

I don't really know how to vote from here on in. Should I vote how I feel things would go? Or should I change and not respect good defensive units anymore?

LOL I am very suprised it was so close to be honest when I saw the 1st round draw i taught it was a handy one that i would easily win.

you are way over rating your whole defence by the way. paolo da silva is 30 year old journeyman defender and very very average and not even guaranteed a place for sunderland. Alcaraz is a 28 year old journeyman that played last year in the belgian league and has a grand total of 10 international caps.

1996–1997 Atlántida 2
    1997–1998 Cerro Porteño
    1998–1999 Perugia
    1999–2000 Lanús
    2000–2001 Venezia
    2001 Cosenza
    2002–2003 Libertad
    2003–2009 Toluca

these are the clubs that paolo da silva played for before making 12 appearances for sunderland last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

redzerdrog wrote: »
    LOL I am very suprised it was so close to be honest when I saw the 1st round draw i taught it was a handy one that i would easily win.

you are way over rating your whole defence by the way. paolo da silva is 30 year old journeyman defender and very very average and not even guaranteed a place for sunderland. Alcaraz is a 28 year old journeyman that played last year in the belgian league and has a grand total of 10 international caps.

1996–1997 Atlántida 2
    1997–1998 Cerro Porteño
    1998–1999 Perugia
    1999–2000 Lanús
    2000–2001 Venezia
    2001 Cosenza
    2002–2003 Libertad
    2003–2009 Toluca

these are the clubs that paolo da silva played for before making 12 appearances for sunderland last year.
    I wasn't asking to continue the debate but I was the only one in the whole draft with a CB pairing thats proven to work together. And they were both incredible in the World Cup.
    Anyways your team has a glaring hole in midfield but this wasn't noted by some people. You don't have a defensive midfielder and no matter what way you try to dress Schweinsteiger up he will never be a defensive midfielder. You also have Veron who is 35 years old and played one good game in the World Cup. His form this season for Estudiantes has been nowhere near the form he showed in Europe or indeed the two previous seasons in Argentina. Whats quite evident is that you have three players in your midfield who like to take up the same area on the pitch which is just beyond the centre circle. So they gonna have problems as they all want that spot.
    Furthermore my defensive midfield is one of the best in the draft. All Alonso and Cambiasso have to do is sit back and spray the ball from deep.

Anyways its over and done, I said good luck to you in the next round so lets move on.

veron won south american player of the year for the past 2 years and has been playing the best football of his life over the past few years.

anyway its over with now, hard luck in the match and i look forward to your continued input in this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

veron won south american player of the year for the past 2 years and has been playing the best football of his life over the past few years.

anyway its over with now, hard luck in the match and i look forward to your continued input in this thread
    He won it two years running but this year his form in the Copa Libertadores has not been near what he did in the previous two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

I wasn't asking to continue the debate but I was the only one in the whole draft with a CB pairing thats proven to work together. And they were both incredible in the World Cup.
    Anyways your team has a glaring hole in midfield but this wasn't noted by some people. You don't have a defensive midfielder and no matter what way you try to dress Schweinsteiger up he will never be a defensive midfielder. You also have Veron who is 35 years old and played one good game in the World Cup. His form this season for Estudiantes has been nowhere near the form he showed in Europe or indeed the two previous seasons in Argentina. Whats quite evident is that you have three players in your midfield who like to take up the same area on the pitch which is just beyond the centre circle. So they gonna have problems as they all want that spot.
    Furthermore my defensive midfield is one of the best in the draft. All Alonso and Cambiasso have to do is sit back and spray the ball from deep.

Anyways its over and done, I said good luck to you in the next round so lets move on.

It's a fantasy draft though,no one expects any part of any team to be proven to work together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

sorry redzer, but your win over eagle eye was the surprise of the draft so far for me.

that midfield would get dominated by Cambiasso and Alonso; and that would be the be all, end all for me.

you won, IMO, because of the names in your attack; Ronaldinho, Torres, Platini, and probably to a lesser extent, Kuyt.

but good luck for the rest of it, you obviously have an attack that will be difficult to stop; and you must be commended for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Sorry I've been busy working and stuff in the last few days and missed a few votes. I should be around for a while now so I'll make sure to have more of an input etc.

Well done to those who got through.

Looks like BH is set to miss his game. If there's no word by tomorrow I'll have no choice but to award the walkover to Necromonicon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Voltwad wrote: »
    Looks like BH is set to miss his game. If there's no word by tomorrow I'll have no choice but to award the walkover to Necromonicon.

where is it? i just did a search and i cant find the thread. Sorry to have held this up but i did say i was looking for someone to step in for me if i wasnt back and wouldent be online, kinda suerprised on of the folk that offered to take mintos team didnt step in. If Necro gets a bye im okay with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Hey lads I was away on holidays all last week and had no net access so couldn't vote. Couple of results there that have really suprised me.

where is it? i just did a search and i cant find the thread. Sorry to have held this up but i did say i was looking for someone to step in for me if i wasnt back and wouldent be online, kinda suerprised on of the folk that offered to take mintos team didnt step in. If Necro gets a bye im okay with that
    Are you okay to go ahead with your match today then?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Are you okay to go ahead with your match today then?

just posted my rebuttle there, took a lot longer than id expected. Drawing No.1 wasnt ideal but being able to build a team to be able to contain a Messi, Zidane and Forlan has to be the aim of the game... wonder have i done that?

Match 11 - Mr. Guappa vs curry-muff

Match 12 - Necronomicon vs Voltwad

Match 13 - Mr. Nice Guy vs bamboozling (WED)

Match 14 - Frisbee vs LuckyLloyd (WED)

Match 15 - Xavi6 vs Redzerdrog (THURS)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

5 votes against me before I even posted up my response, cheers lads :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

curry-muff wrote: »
    5 votes against me before I even posted up my response, cheers lads :rolleyes:

Fair point, and I've been waiting for your post before voting.

It's something that might need to be addressed, I think people should only vote when they read each opponent's take on the match. Maybe for future rounds we could make it so the poll isn't added to the thread until each opponent has posted once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's something that might need to be addressed, I think people should only vote when they read each opponent's take on the match. Maybe for future rounds we could make it so the poll isn't added to the thread until each opponent has posted once.

I think that's a good idea.

Yea I waited before voting. Figured it was only fair tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Yeah I prefer to wait for both sides of the match before voting.In my mach against MNG he had his up at night time and I wasnt in any humour to do a write-up after training but knew I woulda lost votes if I didnt.

• Advertisement

Bomboozling has requested that his match be put back until tomorrow. Hope that's okay. I'll throw up Frisbees now

Voltwad you didn't make the poll for the Xavi/redzer match up public. And I can't change it.

is there any way to fix the poll in myself and xavis match thread. will voltwad be able to fix it so we can all see the result or will voltwad even be able to see who voted himself??

Shít sorry lads :/

There's no way of changing it unfortunately. Only way to get a public poll is to do up another thread.

Frisbee wrote: »
    There's no way of changing it unfortunately. Only way to get a public poll is to do up another thread.
    I'm typing back on my phone here and it's dead slow. I don't suppose someone else would mind doing it for me?

I don't mind doing it. I'll copy the posts of the lads to save them having to do it when they come on, and then the other thread can be deleted.

OK I've copied the posts from the previous thread. If Frisbee or another mod wants to delete the first thread they can as I believe it's as it should be now.

so from going 11 - 4 up it is now 5 - 5 thats just great!

• Advertisement

There was noting else to be done for it. Maybe PM everyone who is involved in the voting to inform them that they need to vote on your thread again?

And I'm sure Voltwad will leave it open for another few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I was 5-0 down on the voting before I had even post in my match :mad:

Once I made my post it went to like 5-4, before I lost out eventually, I was really disappointed about that too :(

Relating to the match, apart from an excellent cb pairing xavis team is pretty average (sorry).

Redzer should take this one ;)

so whats the story i take it i won my match?

when is the next round taking place?

I'll get the next round started tomorrow lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Sorry I took so long guys, I was away from the laptop all weekend and yesterday. My post is up now. It'll probably be up to Frisbee or one of the mods to put up the poll now.

Finding it really difficult to pick between bamboozling and MNG. One of the toughest matches to call!

• Advertisement

just out of interest why was frisbee awarded a walkover when lloyd didnt post but MNG wasnt when bamboozling didnt post?

just out of interest why was frisbee awarded a walkover when lloyd didnt post but MNG wasnt when bamboozling didnt post?
    bamboozling mailed me requesting extra time saying that he would be unavailable. I've no problem postponing games if there's communication

RD. 2 results
    Match 11 - Mr. Guappa vs curry-muff

Match 12 - Necronomicon vs Voltwad

Match 13 - Mr. Nice Guy vs bamboozling

Match 14 - Frisbee vs LuckyLloyd

Match 15 - Xavi6 vs Redzerdrog

RD. 3
    One teams gets a bye : Necronomicon

Match 16 - Redzerdrog vs Frisbee

Match 17 - Mr. Guappa vs bamboozling
    Round 4

bye : Winner of Match 17

Match 18 - Winner of Match 16 vs Winner of Match 12
    Final

Match 19 - Winner of Match 18 vs Winner of Match 17

Isn't my match thread still going:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055981287

:confused:

If not, congrats bamboozling.

Isn't my match thread still going:

:confused:

If not, congrats bamboozling.
    It had been open a couple of days man

• Advertisement

It had been open a couple of days man

It says "This poll will close on 30-07-2010 at 09:09"

It probably has been up for much longer than is was supposed to be though. I dunno.

I only put it up there on Wednesday because there was a problem with the first poll Voltwad put up not being public.

I reckon it's only fair to let it run it's course tbf, especially considering there is only one vote in it.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I only put it up there on Wednesday because there was a problem with the first poll Voltwad put up not being public.

I reckon it's only fair to let it run it's course tbf, especially considering there is only one vote in it.

There's been as many votes on this one as there has been on the other match threads but if people want to let it remain open for another day then so be it.

I'll be honest Voltwad I'm disappointed you're making it out like what I'm asking for is unreasonable. If you want to write off the contest that's your call. I realise he has edged me out in the participants vote so far.

I just think it's a pity how the result has been reached considering he had originally asked the match to be delayed and I was OK with that, and when it did start he then took several days to reply and in order to prevent myself getting a bye, I PM'd him to remind him of our match (the chap himself will tell you this).

I feel I've been very reasonable in trying to ensure the contest went fairly and smoothly and it seems I shouldn't have wasted my time.

I'll be honest Voltwad I'm disappointed you're making it out like what I'm asking for is unreasonable. If you want to write off the contest that's your call. I realise he has edged me out in the participants vote so far.

I just think it's a pity how the result has been reached considering he had originally asked the match to be delayed and I was OK with that, and when it did start he then took several days to reply and in order to prevent myself getting a bye, I PM'd him to remind him of our match (the chap himself will tell you this).

I feel I've been very reasonable in trying to ensure the contest went fairly and smoothly and it seems I shouldn't have wasted my time.
    Sorry for the cynicism MNG it just seems I can do no right with this thing. I get flamed every time I make a new thread, people moan at nearly every turn whether it be about a delay or not having enough people voting it's taken a lot of the fun out of it for me. Honestly I've problem with leaving it open another day or two

I realise he has edged me out in the participants vote so far.

What score is it at the moment? I just voted for you there. All I can see is 9-7 to you. Can't see who voted etc so don't know which votes to discredit.

From my perspective, I feel if there was a problem with the date of the poll this should have been made clear right from the beginning. I was under the impression that yourself and Frisbee had decided to keep it open for an extra few days which is why the announcement of bamboozling's advancement seemed so abrupt and surprising to me.

I don't want there to be a controversy over the decision as it wouldn't be fair on either of us so just regard the contest as finished with. As I say I just wish things had been made clear at the beginning that the end date on the poll was inaccurate if you had felt this was the case.

Congratulations to bamboozling. I felt that would be a tight match and so it proved.
    T-b0n3 wrote: »
    What score is it at the moment? I just voted for you there. All I can see is 9-7 to you. Can't see who voted etc so don't know which votes to discredit.

I think he's one or two in front at the moment.

From my perspective, I feel if there was a problem with the date of the poll this should have been made clear right from the beginning. I was under the impression that yourself and Frisbee had decided to keep it open for an extra few days which is why the announcement of bamboozling's advancement seemed so abrupt and surprising to me.

I don't want there to be a controversy over the decision as it wouldn't be fair on either of us so just regard the contest as finished with. As I say I just wish things had been made clear at the beginning that the end date on the poll was inaccurate if you had felt this was the case.

Congratulations to bamboozling. I felt that would be a tight match and so it proved.

I think he's one or two in front at the moment.
    Every match so far has had a time limit of a day regarding votes. I had no problem giving your match a little bit of leeway though given that bamboozling had been given an extra few days. I don't see the point in giving it any longer now as I don't see it having any bearing on the result

I just left the poll open for a day longer than usual because after the delay and the problems with the first thread it seemed only fair to let people see it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

I just want to apoligise as I'm to blame for a certain amount of this. I did take quite a while to reply after Mr Nice Guy made his initial post and I've apologised for this.

I would like to thank Voltwad for being very flexible as I asked for the match to be postponed.

I would also like to thank Mr Nice Guy as he did PM me as he said, and was also very understanding as he waited for me to reply. He could easily have kicked up a stink and asked for a bye but instead he was very fair and I applaud him for it.

Finally I would like to thank Voltwad for organising this whole competition. I know that there has been a bit of hassle and look you're never going to please everyone but I for one, and I'm sure many others, appreciate the time you have invested in this and I have really enjoyed this it's been great craic.

There is only a vote or two between m so leave me and Mr. Nice Guy so i say leave it up till the mornin as 2 votes could change the outcome of the game. My two cents anyway guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement