Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd go with around 6 and stop the clock at night at like 1 and restart it at 8.If people see that they might be up in the morning the night before, they can leave a proxy pick with someone who'd be around.

I'd have no problem aswell with giving my number or email address to people next to me in the draft as that would make it run smoother.

I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks it should be done before the world cup starts, if I am, then ignore the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd go with around 6 and stop the clock at night at like 1 and restart it at 8.If people see that they might be up in the morning the night before, they can leave a proxy pick with someone who'd be around.

I'd have no problem aswell with giving my number or email address to people next to me in the draft as that would make it run smoother.

I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks it should be done before the world cup starts, if I am, then ignore the above.

Why the hurry to have it finished before the WC?

If the PW draft is anything to go by you'll want it to drag out as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

flahavaj wrote: »
    Why the hurry to have it finished before the WC?

If the PW draft is anything to go by you'll want it to drag out as long as possible.

Exactly.

24 hours is grand really, we don't need it done by the WC. Infact having it run during the WC could lead to some interesting picks if a relative unknown is having a good tournament.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Exactly.

24 hours is grand really, we don't need it done by the WC. Infact having it run during the WC could lead to some interesting picks if a relative unknown is having a good tournament.

That's kinda why I think it should be done before the start.Lets say if someone comes OTC at 12 and there's the matches then at 1.30,4 and 8.30, with a 24 hour clock, that person could run the clock through all those matches, and then pick someone who's played the best in those matches that is still available.

Or let's say how some players have been taken already with a good chance that they'll be out of the group during the Group stages.If someone is out after the first 2 matches, you're not going to take them, whereas you might have before the tournament as you like the player or fancied the country for an upset.

I don't mind if we continue on as it is anyway, so if I'm the only one with a slight problem with it, let's continue on and have fun.I've been involved in a few of these types of games and they're always good craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

titan18 wrote: »
    That's kinda why I think it should be done before the start.Lets say if someone comes OTC at 12 and there's the matches then at 1.30,4 and 8.30, with a 24 hour clock, that person could run the clock through all those matches, and then pick someone who's played the best in those matches that is still available.

Or let's say how some players have been taken already with a good chance that they'll be out of the group during the Group stages.If someone is out after the first 2 matches, you're not going to take them, whereas you might have before the tournament as you like the player or fancied the country for an upset.

I don't mind if we continue on as it is anyway, so if I'm the only one with a slight problem with it, let's continue on and have fun.I've been involved in a few of these types of games and they're always good craic.

LOL, not a hope of having this finished by the start of the tournament, might get finished by the end if we go really well!!

I'll have my pick up shortly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

No chance of this being done within a week. If the goal is to hurry it along we'd be better off naming a day, say Monday, and requesting all participants be on at a specific time and just try to plough through as many picks as possible. Even then there's no guarantee it would work as some are living in different parts of the world.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    LOL, not a hope of having this finished by the start of the tournament, might get finished by the end if we go really well!!

I'll have my pick up shortly

Ya, I suppose.I think it's possible though to have it finished by the time each team has played 1 game, and definately by each team's 2nd game is over.I do a 32 team NFL one and this year we had the first 220 picks done in 17 days, so I think it's possible to go faster here as there should be a shorter turn around between each team's pick.

Pick made.

Cypher Sounds was supposed to be next but he is after pulling out so I guess Xavi is up next?

Maybe we could change the thread title to show that there is a space available?

Good idea

Also I know Xavi is on his holliers so I wouldn't expect a pick too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Pick made.

Cypher Sounds was supposed to be next but he is after pulling out so I guess Xavi is up next?

Where's The Flah when you need him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

if there is a space left i would like to get in on this?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    if there is a space left i would like to get in on this?
    Yeah of course mate. Welcome :)

So redzerdrog is up next then?

Aye.

Redzer, it's courtesy to PM the next player after you've picked. So PM Xavi once you're done please.

pick made. hadnt a lot of time to think about it be happy with my choice!!

redzerdrog wrote: »
    pick made. hadnt a lot of time to think about it be happy with my choice!!

4 Spaniards in the first 8 picks, thats some going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

No sign of Xavi yet, you were saying that he is on holidays Frisbee, does he know that it starts before Monday, because that was the initial idea I got from it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Also a few things im curious about... say you draft an injury prone player, id assume this doesent count against him when it comes to playoff matches against apponents as the other poster cant just say a well even if he might be able to tear my defender to shreds / easily handel my attacker the fact that he is injured so often counts against him can they?

also i saw it mentioned that both International for and the players form building up to the tournament in league football are to be considerd when judging a player... thus even if a player is quality will they not be judged as so if they have had a sh!te year?

So is the 24 hours thing being upheld? Because if so Xavi's are up :(

• Advertisement

curry-muff wrote: »
    So is the 24 hours thing being upheld? Because if so Xavi's are up :(
    I'd be inclined to wait for him. Just for the first round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Is there a rule in place that you should PM the next person who has to pick after you've made yours? If not, there should be.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Is there a rule in place that you should PM the next person who has to pick after you've made yours? If not, there should be.
    There is man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Also a few things im curious about... say you draft an injury prone player, id assume this doesent count against him when it comes to playoff matches against apponents as the other poster cant just say a well even if he might be able to tear my defender to shreds / easily handel my attacker the fact that he is injured so often counts against him can they

I'd be inclined to agree with this. Some players are fantastic for both club and country, but may have been injured for a large portion of (or repeatedly during) the season, so I don't think it should count against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sorry for the delay folks, the wifi in Indonesia isn't the sharpest.

Pick made. Delighted to get van Persie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have to say that Van Persie is a great pick at this stage. With people saying that injuries are not important, Van Persie rises a lot higher than where you picked him imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

That video of RvP is pretty class. To have him fit for a whole season would be incredible:(.

Think he will shine at the World Cup so very good pick if it's based on that form, but perhaps the injuries should come into it to an extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

for some reason, i thought VP might be one to slip under the radar for a while.

solid pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Does BigBenRoeth know it's his turn because his profile says he was on at 15:27.

I PM'd him just after I made my pick, so he should do!

• Advertisement

I remember the Premiership draft we had, injuries were taken into account as over the course of a season an injury prone player like RVP has a high chance of missing games.I think this is the same for the World Cup as if a country gets to the final, they're playing a lot of games in a short space of time, so I'm going to be putting injuries into it, and even though on form and when playing RVP is very good, chances are he'll miss games.

also wonder how much does this world cup affect things? for instance since he has already been drafted ill use drogba as an example, what if he has no impact whilst playing injured and they go out. Are we supposed to think less of him in this?

is how we vote on who would win just down to personal preferences on things like this and injuries etc?

have a list of picks now and RVP was the first ive crossed off it as i knew the others would be gone for sure before my go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Picked Palacios :D

wow did not expect that

wow did not expect that

No better man

poor pick imo because you could have waited till at least round 5 or 6 and still would have got him

no doubt a very good player.

but i hope you don't regret not going for a proven international quality player.

i genuinely think there are others you could have got first, and still got Palacios.

I was gonna wait a bit but I would've been quare vexed if he was gone

there are also better players who do what he does.

but, either way, i genuinely don't want to suck the life out your pick! i look forward to seeing who you try to build around him.

Strange pick, would probably have been still there in a few rounds. He's a good player though

• Advertisement

Palacios was a player I had earmarked as one who would slip under the radar and be a great value pick in the later rounds. Very good player but picked way too early IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Did you pm the next person to pick?

Palacios in Round 1 is very odd, he easily would have still been there in round 4 or 5 as there's a host of other players in the same ilk that are better than him.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Did you pm the next person to pick?

I did to be sure

Yeah Palacios is odd alright. He's definitely not in the bracket of the other picks so far.

I was gona go for a team of duds and pick Heskey first but now that he picked someone like Palacios first, my joke team wouldnt be as funny, now Ive to take it serious, watch out guys :P

Mitch takes Wesley, I was stupidly hoping he might slide through until the next round.

Was hoping Sneijder would be there for me in a few picks time, think he's a better player than a few already taken

Picked and pm'd.

Really glad to get Julio Cesar, I know keeper for first choice isn't the norm, but he is the best in the world :p

• Advertisement

curry-muff wrote: »
    Picked and pm'd.

Really glad to get Julio Cesar, I know keeper for first choice isn't the norm, but he is the best in the world :p

Arguably the best, I think he is, but I wouldn't argue with anyone who says that Casillas or Buffon is better

Advertisement