Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

titan18 wrote: »
    Arguably the best, I think he is, but I wouldn't argue with anyone who says that Casillas or Buffon is better

Funnily enough, I would :p

And will, if I have to ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Palacios in the first round? :confused:

I remember with the last draft we did on here that a lot of the participants weren't clicked on to the value aspect of a draft process. You constantly have to have an eye on players who are in and around the best available, and which of those are likely to slide till later because of the general perception or positional needs of those around you on the board. Palacios is a terrible pick in that spot because he isn't the premier player at his position, is a long way away from overall BPA at this point, and was going to be there for ages yet even if you felt like you must have him.

All that said, he is still a very good player and with good picking around him from here on in could be a solid part of a very good side.

Thoughts on Kaka? Got to be a steal at 15 imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Can't believe Kaka made it this far, great pick. That obviously has something to do with his perceived poor first season at Madrid (I say perceived because I didn't see many Madrid games myself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

suprised kaka made it so far down i was pick 8 and i was picking between torres and kaka, obviously i made the right choice:P but taught kaka would be snapped up straight after me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Wilson Palacios picked before Kaka, HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The Palcios pick had me scratching the head alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Picked and pmed. Happy with Luis Fabiano, would have preferred Kaka who is an excellent pick, better than a good few who went ahead of him, but I think Luis Fabiano will have a good WC

Luis Fabiano and Eto'o are great picks. I worry about how many world class centre forwards will be left by the time I get to pick again :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Picked Eto'o and Pm'd Bounty Hunter he's up next. Delighted with Eto'o was hoping he'd slip under the radar because he doesn't play for a big country. Still can't get over Palacios in the first round

I cant believe nobodys picked Emile Heskey yet :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No offense Curry Muff because I know you are joking there but I don't think names of unpicked players or any hint thereof should be mentioned in this thread.

I think its only fair to everybody.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

off to pm the next fella but just got the real no.1 keeper in the world for my squad, Casillas. had hoped to get Eto'o in rd2 but guess that was unrealistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Delighted to get Wesley Sneijder. Really thought he'd be gone by now considering the season he's had.

PM'ed eagle eye too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sneijder's been picked mate. By Mitch.

My bad, his post was tiny so I didn't see it! Changed it to Arjen Robben.

Robben's not a bad fall back, good choice ;)

Robben it is eh. ill be online for the next few hours so if Archi, doesent go anywhere, we could get no.20/1s double pick, his pick and then mine again in a realatively quick time

Robben it is eh. ill be online for the next few hours so if Archi, doesent go anywhere, we could get no.20/1s double pick, his pick and then mine again in a realatively quick time

I'll be around. Eagle Eye is online too, he let me know about my Sneijder mishap too :o

Right first pick made, my picks are instant selections. Its just getting the youtubes and the writing thats taking up so much time.

I honestly was certain that Alonso would be gone in the first ten. My second pick which you will see shortly I kinda expected to go as low as me. Although I was still worried that he would be taken earlier.

Sweet, all 3 online now, could be a smooth run :cool:

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Right first pick made, my picks are instant selections. Its just getting the youtubes and the writing thats taking up so much time.

I honestly was certain that Alonso would be gone in the first ten. My second pick which you will see shortly I kinda expected to go as low as me. Although I was still worried that he would be taken earlier.

Feel free to throw up the names first and then edit with your reasoning. Would make it go a lot quicker.

so many Spaniards gone, what is it now like 8 of the first 20.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Ya I'll be around as wel for the next while so things could flow very smoothly

The rules say 'Round 4 will be for a non World Cup player only'. Could Voltwad clarify what this means?

Is it players from countries who failed to qualify, or players from qualified countries who didn't make the World Cup squads? Or both?

The rules say 'Round 4 will be for a non World Cup player only'. Could Voltwad clarify what this means?

Is it players from countries who failed to qualify, or players from qualified countries who didn't make the World Cup squads? Or both?

Both I reckon. Anyone who is playing currently but not at the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Archimedes wrote: »
    Both I reckon. Anyone who is playing currently but not at the World Cup.
    This.

I presume if you pick a player near the end of his career, you're getting his current ability and not what he was capable of say 10 years ago?

I presume if you pick a player near the end of his career, you're getting his current ability and not what he was capable of say 10 years ago?
    Aye that's right. We do have a legend's round too remember.

And does the order remain like this all way through or will there be a new randomizer each 2 rounds?

• Advertisement

curry-muff wrote: »
    And does the order remain like this all way through or will there be a new randomizer each 2 rounds?
    The order's like this all the way through. At the beginning of each round it is reversed so the person with the last pick in this round also has the first pick in the next.

Voltwad wrote: »
    This.

So Jamie Theakston is OK? ;)

I pm'd Archie so he is back up now.

well there goes plan b for rd2 in Tevez

well there goes plan b for rd2 in Tevez

Was on my wishlist too :rolleyes:

Done :)

• Advertisement

One more question in regards to Round 4, will players who have declared themselves retired from international football be eligible?

One more question in regards to Round 4, will players who have declared themselves retired from international football be eligible?

I think it should - I take it as literally any player not at the World Cup.

What I had been wondering though - do the legends have to be retired? There are a few legends who are still playing in some capacity.

If players not at WC countries are eligable so should does that are still playing and choosing not to be with those countries imo.

plan C put into action with Gonzalo Higuain. I believe one of my players will lead their country to a world cup throphy. Either from the front with Higuain or as captain with Casillas.

edit: considerd getting Ribery myself but will look at the spine goals first... are who am i kidding i just visualised this thing as real and knew i couldent stand to have to look at this face before kickoffs each game in the dressing room.
    franck-ribery.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Robeen would be a good pick if it wasn't for his injury proneness that takes away from his overall possible contribution.

Higuain was a poor pick for the first round imo, remember this is based on Club AND International performances and he's only played 5 times for Argentina. The game isn't about judging someone on their merits as a footballers, it's about their club and international form this year.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Higuain was a poor pick for the first round imo, remember this is based on Club AND International performances and he's only played 5 times for Argentina. The game isn't about judging someone on their merits as a footballers, it's about their club and international form this year.

this is rd2, i got Casillas in Rd1. He could still lead Argentina to a WC before this is over

also cosidering this was answerd with a yes id say we are atleast mostly based on current ability of which he has bag loads.

• Advertisement

I think it should - I take it as literally any player not at the World Cup.

What I had been wondering though - do the legends have to be retired? There are a few legends who are still playing in some capacity.

I'd say they have to be retired. If not, they're eligible for Round 4. But then you're taking them at their current ability. I think.

Picked and pmed. Happy with Maicon, had considered taking him in round 1, and was happy when Ribery just went before my pick, as I had been debating between both of them

this is rd2, i got Casillas in Rd1. He could still lead Argentina to a WC before this is over

also cosidering this was answerd with a yes id say we are atleast mostly based on current ability of which he has bag loads.

Round 2 even.

That's in the case of a legend where they could have been awesome internationally and club form 10 years ago but are still playing but now their atrocious. So your getting them on their current ability.

Higuain is currently very good for his club but relatively untested at international level, which has to be taken into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Palacios in Round 1?! Jaysus. He's not even the best holding midfielder from the Premiership at the WC, never mind every league combined.

Only really poor pick so far imo.

its kinda moot cos i cant (shouldent) name alternatives but based on current ability i dont think there is a better CF still available at this years world cup. I believe the standard of CFs especially if i want to preserve the option of playing 2 upfront will drop drastically by the time i got another go 30+ picks from now

its kinda moot cos i cant (shouldent) name alternatives but based on current ability i dont think there is a better CF still available at this years world cup. I believe the standard of CFs especially if i want to preserve the option of playing 2 upfront will drop drastically by the time i got another go 30+ picks from now

Fair enough, he's a good pick and one I would have liked myself. I just think Round 2 is overvaluing him a little. I would have expected him still to be there by Round 4 or so.

Imo, Higuain wasn't getting out of round 2.He'd have been one of the best forwards left.

titan18 wrote: »
    Imo, Higuain wasn't getting out of round 2.He'd have been one of the best forwards left.

Certainly wouldn't have, we are running out of world class strikers and he was another player I had considered.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Fair enough, he's a good pick and one I would have liked myself. I just think Round 2 is overvaluing him a little. I would have expected him still to be there by Round 4 or so.

while your here Mr Moderator (or MS whatever is cooler to call you these days) I was thinking. Voltwad referenced the PW draft a few times when getting this thing going and we made the draft an annual thing, why not have the same be done with this? obviously not the WC one but sure there could be a WC/EC one whenever those tournies happen too.

my comments might become less frequent in this thread for a while, not picking for ages now

Here's a list of the picks so far. Might be a good idea to stick this on the first page and update it every so often.

1. Necronomicon - Messi
    2. SlickRic - Xavi
    3. Whatawaster - Ronaldo
    4. Gillington - Villa
    5. Frisbee - Rooney
    6. MNG - Drogba
    7. Mr. Guappa - Fabregas
    8. Redzerdrog - Torres
    9. Xavi - Lampard
    10. Voltwad - Iniesta
    11. Minto - Van Persie
    12. BigBenRoeth - Palacios