Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

while your here Mr Moderator (or MS whatever is cooler to call you these days) I was thinking. Voltwad referenced the PW draft a few times when getting this thing going and we made the draft an annual thing, why not have the same be done with this? obviously not the WC one but sure there could be a WC/EC one whenever those tournies happen too.

my comments might become less frequent in this thread for a while, not picking for ages now

Well, this was one done as a kind of trial for a Premiership/European one, so we could do that annually.I'd suggest European as transfers are less likely to mess the team up. So we could do that annually, and have retainment and trading in it or something.I'm involved in an NFL one like that and it's good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Delighted to still see Mascherano available. I think him being there at 26 highlights the mistake in taking Palacios. Am building a strong spine to my side imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Grabbed Gerrard who despite a rocky season I presumed would be long gone by now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Delighted to still see Mascherano available. I think him being there at 26 highlights the mistake in taking Palacios. Am building a strong spine to my side imo.

Palacios>Masch

Out of interest, as it's out of the final 23 man squad that each team put in, you know if a player was in that squad but is now out of it due to injury, can he still be picked or is he off-limits until round 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Palacios>Masch

you're going to need a bit more than that to convince anyone.

Masch, to use someone else's recent phrase on these boards, is one of the best 'breaker-uppers' in the world, if not the best. and his pure footballing ability, though not top-tier, is still better than often acknowledged.

he's the captain of Argentina.

he's pretty much proven at the highest level.

Palacios is all potential really at this moment, and has just had one good season (not even great by any means) at Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Palacios>Masch

I think your going to have a hard time convincing anyone else of that.

Mascherano, as Slick points out above, it superior in nearly every aspect of the role played by himself and Palacios.

In fact I think your going to struggle to find anyone who will agree with you that Palacios even deserved to be picked in the first 4 or 5 rounds.

I dont agree that Masch is better is every aspect of his game to Palacios, not even close, Masch is a good player but waaay overrated in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

SlickRic wrote: »
    you're going to need a bit more than that to convince anyone.

Masch, to use someone else's recent phrase on these boards, is one of the best 'breaker-uppers' in the world, if not the best. and his pure footballing ability, though not top-tier, is still better than often acknowledged.

he's the captain of Argentina.

he's pretty much proven at the highest level.

Palacios is all potential really at this moment, and has just had one good season (not even great by any means) at Spurs.
    I think Mascherano is overrated personally. I'm not saying that Palacios is better than him by any means but neither come anywhere close to the standard that Claude Makele set at that position.

• Advertisement

IMO,It's a case of Mascherano being grossly overrated and Palacios being horribly underrated.

I'm assuming we're allowed trade players and position with each other a la the Premiership one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

IMO,It's a case of Mascherano being grossly overrated and Palacios being horribly underrated.

Palacios was a horendous pick. Especially given that the point of this draft is convincing the general boards soccer forum poster that your team is better than all the other teams.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'm assuming we're allowed trade players and position with each other a la the Premiership one?

I don't think that ever materialised in the prem one

So are you saying that a team that has Wilson Palacaios in midfield is incapable of being better than another? :rolleyes:

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think Mascherano is overrated personally. I'm not saying that Palacios is better than him by any means but neither come anywhere close to the standard that Claude Makele set at that position.

it's the age old problem.

he's probably overrated by Liverpool fans, and conveniently underrated by opposing fans.

he's not a Makelele. very few are. there's barely been anyone whose been as good as him in that position. but Masch breaks up play with the absolute best of them, no question. and he can play a bit; not at the highest standard, but well enough.

i don't get the general Masch hate; not from you eagle eye, but in general it seems to be a theme amongst a lot of people. he seems to have this image of merely a bulldog who'll stop people playing but barely knows how to kick a football. rubbish tbh.

there wouldn't be a hope of Barca looking at him if he had such low footballing credentials.

• Advertisement

I don't think that ever materialised in the prem one

Not for lack of trying on my part :pac:
    So are you saying that a team that has Wilson Palacaios in midfield is incapable of being better than another? :rolleyes:

No, but Palacios was not a first round pick. Not by a long shot, he easily still would have been there in the fourth or fifth round allowing you to take a 'world beater' with your first pick.

The point is, you have a bit of catching up to do, you picked a solid player but not one that id rank as a 1st pick, Id safely say you could have got him in around the 8th pick.

it's the age old problem.

he's probably overrated by Liverpool fans, and conveniently underrated by opposing fans.

he's not a Makelele. very few are. there's barely been anyone whose been as good as him in that position. but Masch breaks up play with the absolute best of them, no question. and he can play a bit; not at the highest standard, but well enough.

i don't get the general Masch hate; not from you eagle eye, but in general it seems to be a theme amongst a lot of people. he seems to have this image of merely a bulldog who'll stop people playing but barely knows how to kick a football. rubbish tbh.

there wouldn't be a hope of Barca looking at him if he had such low footballing credentials.
    I will say this, if the new Liverpool manager changes the system and has two in front of Masch then we will get to see just how good he is.
    The reason I always say he is overrated is because of the system he has played in for Liverpool. It makes his job not that difficult if you get what I'm saying.

No what people are saying is that Wilson Palacios would still be on the board in the third round for definite. He is certainly not rated by the majority in the world's top 40 footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

titan18 wrote: »
    Out of interest, as it's out of the final 23 man squad that each team put in, you know if a player was in that squad but is now out of it due to injury, can he still be picked or is he off-limits until round 4

I asked this question earlier and was told they can still be picked:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66236100&postcount=76

• Advertisement

de Rossi is a quality pick - one that went under my radar to be honest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

de Rossi is a quality pick - one that went under my radar to be honest.

never in a million years expected him to make it to my next pick but he was top of the big list i did up in a notepad when this thing started (that list is getting low now). great all round CM and a great basis for a midfield to come imo, top pick dude

Vidic.
    PM'd.

Vidic can't be anything but a good pick.

even his international form...Serbia get to the finals of tournaments regularly, so he must at least be doing ok for them.

and we all know how good he is for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Damn it, I was hoping De Rossi would fly under the radar for another few picks until I was up again.

I really wanted Yaya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i have finally decided who i wanted for this round if xavi takes him i will craic!! i prob wont be back on this till tomorro night id say

redzerdrog wrote: »
    i have finally decided who i wanted for this round if xavi takes him i will craic!! i prob wont be back on this till tomorro night id say

You'll be lucky if xavi is back on by then :pac:

Ugh, this has really slowed down. At this rate I estimate my next pick will be sometime before the last 16 in the World Cup.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Guys this has really slowed down majorly. On Monday myself, Bounty Hunter, Archimedes, eagle eye and titan all got through 10 picks in just over 3 hours or so. There's no reason why this can't move as quickly. I suggest that the 20 participants split up into 5 groups of 4 and the groups decide to all be on this at a certain time. Call 1-4 group A, 5-8 Group B, 9-12 Group C, 13-16 Group D and 17-20 Group E. Say Group A all decide to agree to be on this at a convenient time, say 8pm Friday evening and then they can get through their picks rapid and the whole thing wil move along nicely rather than going single file and taking forever. It worked on Monday no reason why it can't work again. Opinions?

• Advertisement

Guys this has really slowed down majorly. On Monday myself, Bounty Hunter, Archimedes, eagle eye and titan all got through 10 picks in just over 3 hours or so. There's no reason why this can't move as quickly. I suggest that the 20 participants split up into 5 groups of 4 and the groups decide to all be on this at a certain time. Call 1-4 group A, 5-8 Group B, 9-12 Group C, 13-16 Group D and 17-20 Group E. Say Group A all decide to agree to be on this at a convenient time, say 8pm Friday evening and then they can get through their picks rapid and the whole thing wil move along nicely rather than going single file and taking forever. It worked on Monday no reason why it can't work again. Opinions?

I was one of those you mentiioned but i just dont know if that will work for all of us as im sure people like myself (in Taiwan) or Xavi (in Oz, or near there on hols) wouldent exactley fit into a suitable time to be online for everyone when work etc is factored in. It will work again like on monday with some online noticing others are online and thus waiting about so we get a string of picks (and this discussion thread will help with that) but life makes scheduling such a thing near impossible imo as nobody wants to be the one to not be online when they are supposed to and slow it down but stuff happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

I was one of those you mentiioned but i just dont know if that will work for all of us as im sure people like myself (in Taiwan) or Xavi (in Oz, or near there on hols) wouldent exactley fit into a suitable time to be online for everyone when work etc is factored in. It will work again like on monday with some online noticing others are online and thus waiting about so we get a string of picks (and this discussion thread will help with that) but life makes scheduling such a thing near impossible imo as nobody wants to be the one to not be online when they are supposed to and slow it down but stuff happens.

Ya I understand completely what you're saying. I still think it's worth trying especially when it comes to the lads at the ends getting double picks. I say we try it with group A and if it's not a success then bin it but I still think it's worth seeing how it goes.

How about if people give each other their email addresses for the person picking before and after them.People might not be able to check boards all the time cos of work and stuff, but might be able to check their email.If you have an idea in your head who you want to pick or a list of 2 or 3, you could send it on, and someone could pick for you.Or if you see you might be OTC in 2 or 3 picks, you could pm someone a list of picks if you have to go out, or won't be online in the next few hours for whatever reason.

Ya I understand completely what you're saying. I still think it's worth trying especially when it comes to the lads at the ends getting double picks. I say we try it with group A and if it's not a success then bin it but I still think it's worth seeing how it goes.

well yeah the people at the start and end of the rounds should just stay online if at all possible after their picks knowing they might get 2 in, in one day that way, but sure that group already did that well on monday as you say and this lull has come once we have come to the people who arent expecting aquick turnover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

How about if people give each other their email addresses for the person picking before and after them.People might not be able to check boards all the time cos of work and stuff, but might be able to check their email.If you have an idea in your head who you want to pick or a list of 2 or 3, you could send it on, and someone could pick for you.Or if you see you might be OTC in 2 or 3 picks, you could pm someone a list of picks if you have to go out, or won't be online in the next few hours for whatever reason.

I think it's easier to just subscribe to the picks thread, then you'll get an email seeing who replied.

I agree with Bounty Hunter, it would be tough to coordinate getting people online together when we have different timezones, and people who might not have internet access in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

People have lives lads and its only a game. From playing the same game on the PW board, it can be annoying at times when a lull happens, but just as quickly ye can race through 10 or 15 picks in a few hours.

What does it matter if the game takes a few weeks rather than a few days, whats the big hurry?

flahavaj wrote: »
    People have lives lads and its only a game. From playing the same game on the PW board, it can be annoying at times when a lull happens, but just as quickly ye can race through 10 or 15 picks in a few hours.

What does it matter if the game takes a few weeks rather than a few days, whats the big hurry?

in the end you would probably want it to be longer except for the fact that the world cup itself could be concluded

It's only 24 hours lads and if they haven't picked by then then the next person can go.

It's a pain in the hole alright but there's nothing ye can do 'cause obviously people won't be able to be online all the time.

• Advertisement

Last pick was at 9.41 this morning, if redzerdrog works 9-5 with no net access what's the problem with them not picking by now?

That's why we have a time limit. If they still haven't checked back by 9.41 tomorrow then the next person is free to go.

(Personally I hope it gets around to my pick tonight as I'm on a night shift so would keep me entertained)

If its that much of an issue for people you could always pm your pick (not speaking to anyone in particular) to someone who will be online if your pick is coming up but you dont think you will be online for it. Obviously choose someone behind you in the order ideally as otherwise they could take your pick

It's a pain in the hole alright but there's nothing ye can do 'cause obviously people won't be able to be online all the time.

That shouldn't matter tbh. I'd give my number to LuckyLloyd and Bamboozling, so if I came OTC, I can be texted to let me know that I'm up. I'd have a general idea in my head who I want at that time, and would be able to text on the pick to whoever texted me.If people wanted to do that, things would run faster and better.

I do an NFL one on another site.Most of us don't know each other, although it's a private site, so we get to each other a good bit.Most of us have each other's numbers, and despite it being a 4 hour clock, most people don't miss picks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

That shouldn't matter tbh. I'd give my number to LuckyLloyd and Bamboozling, so if I came OTC, I can be texted to let me know that I'm up. I'd have a general idea in my head who I want at that time, and would be able to text on the pick to whoever texted me.If people wanted to do that, things would run faster and better.

I do an NFL one on another site.Most of us don't know each other, although it's a private site, so we get to each other a good bit.Most of us have each other's numbers, and despite it being a 4 hour clock, most people don't miss picks.

I think you'll find people in general people don't want to have to get into giving out/receiving mobile numbrs for the sake of what is, at the end of the day, only a game on an internet forum.

Just PM a number of choices to someone else who's gonna be online if you're not gonna be around yourself. If theres three people ahead of you, Pm four choices, then your guaranteed at least one of them. Panic over.

Can people give it a rest complaining about time.

This is running very quickly compared to the prem one. People have lives outside boards.
    The time limit is there for a reason. Even if you're online, you're entitled to take the time to think about your pick.

flahavaj wrote: »

Basically this. Plus, in a couple of weeks when we're into the fourth or fifth round there will be huge scope for discussion because people can start arguing who has the best team, etc.

That said, I have no problem taking a list of preferred picks off people via PM at any time if they are going to be up soon and reckon they will be offline when it is their turn to go. I check in on the forum two or three times a day typically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'll be close to here until midnight anyway so when Redzer picks I wont be far behind. We are clipping along at about 6 picks a day which is a damn good rate IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

pick made

happy to get Schweinsteiger he is a real class act and i expect him to show it even more at this years world cup. I know nobody is going to argue with me either because it is so much hassle to spell Schweinsteiger!!!

Vidic going before Lucio was obviously pretty lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Vidic going before Lucio was obviously pretty lol

Likewise Mascherano before Touré.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Pick made and PM sent.

Delighted to add Chiellini to my first rounder Fabregas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement