Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i had a shortlist of 3 before xavi picked Lucio, Schweinsteiger and chiellini it was wishfull thinking that 1 of them would slip under the radar till my next pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That's handy. Just logged on and it's my go. Will have my pick up shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Vidic going before Lucio was obviously pretty lol

Lucio's been good this season but Vidic for me has been better for longer. Indeed Samuel has been better for Inter over the course of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Pick made and PM sent.

Was gonna leave Pique till a later round but was afraid someone might pick him up, had planned to use my next pick on Puyol too to get the tag team. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Frisbee wrote: »
    Pick made and PM sent.

Was gonna leave Pique till a later round but was afraid someone might pick him up, had planned to use my next pick on Puyol too to get the tag team. :(

Fairly surprised at the Puyol and Pique picks, had them both a nice way down my list of potential Centre Backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Archimedes wrote: »
    Likewise Mascherano before Touré.

This year Barcelona had 57 competitive games. Toure started only 27 of them, or 47%. Included in the games he was not started (and the below were not due to injury or suspension) for were:

Sevilla away
    Inter away
    Real Madrid away
    Arsenal home
    Arsenal away
    Valencia home
    FIFA World Club Cup final
    Dynamo Kiev away
    Real Madrid home
    Athletico Madrid home

With the above post you are essentially claiming that he is head and shoulders the best sitting midfielder in the world (because I'm sure you would agree that Palacios shouldn't have been first off the board for this particular position) when he can't get into his own club side for their biggest games, and is being touted as a make weight in the Fabregas deal.

Do you want to refine your statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    With the above post you are essentially claiming that he is head and shoulders the best sitting midfielder in the world

I am? You're sure thats what I've said? Tell you what Lloyd, you're ace at twisting what people have said, and putting words in their mouth. You'd be right at home working for The Sun. You should look into that!
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Do you want to refine your statement?

Sure.

Yaya Touré > Javier Mascherano

I think that covers just about everything. I dont need to post statistics, I don't need to write an essay. I've seen both of them play, and Touré is a superior player. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Archimedes wrote: »
    I am? You're sure thats what I've said? Tell you what Lloyd, you're ace at twisting what people have said, and putting words in their mouth. You'd be right at home working for The Sun.

Yaya Touré > Javier Mascherano

I think that covers just about everything. I dont need to post statistics, I don't need to write an essay. I've seen both of them play, and Touré is a superior player. Simples.

Spot on I have to say,Mascherano was good for 2 years then began to get carried by Liverpool,was found out this year.

*EDIT* Sorry,left original quote as it is to retain clarity. I now see that using the word "carry" was a bit strong,but read my below post to see what I was trying to say.

Spot on I have to say,Mascherano was good for 2 years then began to get carried by Liverpool,was found out this year.

I prefer Yaya to Mascherano but I can't agree with that quote. I don't think Liverpool have ever had to carry him.

Yaaa and Masch are both very good players with different distinctive qualities.

Masch is better at breaking down play by any means necessary and making sure his team have time to readjust.

Yaya is the more rounded play, he can create as well as destroy and is more versatile in that he can play CM and CB also.

Personally I'd prefer Yaya over Masch in my time but that's from a purely personal point of view and Mascherano will do you a job that few players available at the WC will do for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I too would have chosen Toure over Mascherano if I was involved in this game.

• Advertisement

I prefer Yaya to Mascherano but I can't agree with that quote. I don't think Liverpool have ever had to carry him.

Yaaa and Masch are both very good players with different distinctive qualities.

Masch is better at breaking down play by any means necessary and making sure his team have time to readjust.

Yaya is the more rounded play, he can create as well as destroy and is more versatile in that he can play CM and CB also.

Personally I'd prefer Yaya over Masch in my time but that's from a purely personal point of view and Mascherano will do you a job that few players available at the WC will do for you.

Well to be fair i agree now that "Carry" may be too strong of a word.
    What I mean is in the 20087/2008/9 seasons I reckon he could've done more,but with Liverpool performing well and getting results this was kind've overlooked by the pundits/media.
    I'm not saying I would've picked up on it to be honest but I think if you look at how Masch performed last season (2009/10) towards the season before,his performances were pretty much the same but he was made to look better than he is because of the teams success.
    That's not to say I wouldn't welcome him with open arms.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Here's a list of the picks so far. Might be a good idea to stick this on the first page and update it every so often.

1. Necronomicon - Messi, Diego Forlan, Lahm
    2. SlickRic - Xavi, John Terry, Anelka
    3. Whatawaster - Ronaldo, Yoann Gourcuff, Evra
    4. Gillington - Villa, Dani Alves
    5. Frisbee - Rooney, Piqué
    6. MNG - Drogba, Carles Puyol
    7. Mr. Guappa - Fabregas, Chiellini
    8. Redzerdrog - Torres, Schweinsteiger
    9. Xavi - Lampard, Lucio
    10. Voltwad - Iniesta, Yaya Toure
    11. Minto - Van Persie, Gianluigi Buffon
    12. BigBenRoeth - Palacios, Nemanja Vidic
    13. Mitch Connor - Sneijder, Danielle De Rossi
    14. Curry-muff - Julio Cesar, Steven Gerrard
    15. LuckyLloyd - Kaka, Mascherano
    16. Titan18 - Fabiano, Maicon
    17. Bamboozling - Eto'o, Ribery
    18. Bounty Hunter - Casillas, Higuain
    19. Archimedes - Robben, Pirlo
    20. Eagle eye - Alonso, Tevez

updated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

done, PM sent.

de-f*cking-lighted with John Terry.

i know we always say it, but he should have been gone before a fair few others.

damn, Forlan was on my radar for the next pick if he got through Necro.

i've two choices in mind now, so i'm happy with either.

so go on Necro...do your worst ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Done and done.

I'm delighted. I had Forlan decided on, and I was pretty sure I was going to pick Lahm as well. So I always checked the picks thread with heart-in-mouth.

I do think that compared to other areas, the centre forward position might become tricky later, so I was delighted to get Forlan. Lahm is just a beast, I've always had great man-love for the guy.

very happy with Anelka.

proven quality, and the main man for France IMO.

it also gives me flexibility with my system going forward, which will probably be useful as we start to try to nail down our formations.

Damn you Necro, I wanted Lahm, in fact I was so bored in work last night I'd already done a write up on him!

Haha, way to jinx yourself.

That's the downside of knowing who you want in advance - you'll end up disappointed a lot of the time.

Haha, way to jinx yourself.

That's the downside of knowing who you want in advance - you'll end up disappointed a lot of the time.

Yeah true, it kept me busy for a while though at least :D

• Advertisement

Yeah true, it kept me busy for a while though at least :D

Do us a favour and edit my post with your write-up, I think it could use bulking up :pac:

Do us a favour and edit my post with your write-up, I think it could use bulking up :pac:

No chance, I'm too disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

pick made, pm sent.

Happy with my side so far:

Ronaldo
    Gourcuff
    Evra

Pick made and PM sent

Good pick is Silva

there is only 2 players before my pick if they are not on tonight i would be willing to pm someone that will definately be online tomorrow because i wont be on till the evening again.

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    there is only 2 players before my pick if they are not on tonight i would be willing to pm someone that will definately be online tomorrow because i wont be on till the evening again.

i'll be on tomorrow from 830ish til about 2.30.

feel free to PM me if you wish.

redzerdrog wrote: »

I'm around for a while tonight so if Mr. Nice Guy picks soon then it will get to you as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm around most of the day tomorrow.Until around 6 anyway.Can take picks if needed

i will pm slicric now with my 3 player shortlist i am confident of getting 1st choice so fingers crossed. the reason its slickric is he is the furthest away from picking again so dont want to give away any ideas:P

edit
    was just thinking slicric will only be on till 2:30 so will pm both him and titan my picks if thats ok

pm sent to both slicric and tatan

mr guappa wana pm me who your thinking of taking so I know if I am Garaunteed at least 1 of my top 2 or not?:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Will make my pick shortly. A lot of good picks made. Here's hoping I continue the trend. :pac:

Will make my pick shortly. A lot of good picks made. Here's hoping I continue the trend. :pac:

Thanks for staying away from Cashley ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Made redzerdrog's pick and pmed Xavi.Found a nice picture of Mertesacker too.Also, we need more pics of girls in this, shame on you for not including a picture of Cheryl there.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Phew, was sure my pick was going to go before now. Deeee-lighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah great pick, well obvious choice imo, I could not believe that he fell that far. I was actually starting to believe that people had forgotten about him but alas not to be. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Y'all motherf*ckers is crazy for not picking Yong Jo Hong yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Kold wrote: »
    Y'all motherf*ckers is crazy for not picking Yong Jo Hong yet.

Is he related to that young fella who loves clocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Is he related to that young fella who loves clocks?

Realised that I knew absolutely nothing about N.Korea so I looked up some profile vid on them. One of the N.Korean players from 1966 was called Rim Jung Son. I chuckled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Im sorry for making fun of the fella that picked palacios:

titan18 wrote: »
    I have a proxy for redzerdrog, so he picks

Per Mertesacker

per_squidward.jpg

He's a solid defender in a game where he'll come up against many fantastic forwards and attacking midfielders.He is the heart of the German defense and will provide a strong presence in the centre of defense for redzerdrog's team.Seems to know how to pose for the cameras too :D

Seriously, you take bens biscuit :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Mine was a choice between Milito,Cashley but went for Robinho in the end,use him on the wings or up top if needed.Didnt want 2 out and out strikers in my 1st 3 picks like.Hopefully it pays off!

• Advertisement

I think the reason he slipped so far is simple: His international record is 4 goals in 20 appearances.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Im sorry for making fun of the fella that picked palacios:

Seriously, you take bens biscuit :pac:

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Just saw it's my go now, whoops! Will have my pick up soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

didnt expect Joe cole to go so early but his versatility will be a bonus when drafting later methinks

Miroslav Klose.
    Sending PM now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Miroslave Klose.
    Sending PM now

Picking him for more than the draft I see ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Seems like he is in that team against his own will :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

didnt expect Joe cole to go so early but his versatility will be a bonus when drafting later methinks

I wanted Yaya or De Rossi and Ashley Cole and John Terry in my team, but they all got nabbed since my last pick, so I couldn't risk missing out on his versatility and creativity.

Smegball wrote: »
    Picking him for more than the draft I see ;)

I lolld

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

How do ye see the Australia Germany game going lads?

Advertisement