Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

How do ye see the Australia Germany game going lads?

wrong thread this is for the draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm up after curry - muff but will be logging off in a couple of hours for most of the day. Can I send a shortlist to someone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm up after curry - muff but will be logging off in a couple of hours for most of the day. Can I send a shortlist to someone?

Ya, I can take it. But if you didn't want to send it to me as I pick just after you, it's ok

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, I can take it. But if you didn't want to send it to me as I pick just after you, it's ok

Meh, I'll just be sending two potential picks. Will PM it to you in a couple of minutes!

Meh, I'll just be sending two potential picks. Will PM it to you in a couple of minutes!

Cool, got the pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Ive picked and mp'd if you are still about lloyd ;)

Picked and pmed.Happy enough with Hamsik, he's a player I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Cool, only 4 picks until Round 4, which will be very interesting.

fingers crossed the next pick is made before i start drinking, its almost 9pm here and im preparing a lil house party for the england vs USA game later... hoping atleast one of my picks wont be a drunken mistake.

had Hamsik on my list, really good player but he was the backup as i expected him to atleast get as far as me, guess i was wrong there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Cool, only 4 picks until Round 4, which will be very interesting.

Round 4 is for any player currently playing who is not at the World Cup, ya? Should be very interesting alright, I've the 14th pick and 3 guys who I'd be really happy with so hopefully one of them falls to me:)

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Round 4 is for any player currently playing who is not at the World Cup, ya? Should be very interesting alright, I've the 14th pick and 3 guys who I'd be really happy with so hopefully one of them falls to me:)

Yep. I'm last in that one, but I've got a decent enough shortlist of non-World Cup players so hopefully at least one of them will come to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Yep. I'm last in that one, but I've got a decent enough shortlist of non-World Cup players so hopefully at least one of them will come to me.
    They probably won't though :p

it bhas begun... A really hot girl who can only speak chinese and Spanish just came in and handed me a bottle of Whiskey.... im gonna end up picking Terry Phealan in the next round I know it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Someone make sure eagle eye knows that the next round is for NON-WORLD CUP PLAYERS ONLY!!

Frisbee wrote: »
    Someone make sure eagle eye knows that the next round is for NON-WORLD CUP PLAYERS ONLY!!

Yeah but he has one world cup player to pick before the non wc player ;)

curry-muff wrote: »
    Yeah but he has one world cup player to pick before the non wc player ;)

I know, but he could just post them up immediately one after the other so it's easier to make sure he knows.

Eagle, Samuel has been picked already ;)

There's always one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I must have spelled his name wrong when I did the control f thing.:(

And I'm gutted now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

There's always one.

Make that two.

I did it in the first round :o

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote: »
    Make that two.

I did it in the first round :o

Internet merked bruv, brap brap brap brap brap

Very good pick with Reina eagleeye. Would have flown under a lot of radars, was hoping to pick him up in round 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Is this being judged on players' international careers solely?

Is this being judged on players' international careers solely?

Nah it's on club form as well. It has to be a balance of the two imo - it'd be wrong to base it solely on international form.

Reina is a poor pick imo.

He's a very good pick if this was based on ability but this is based on international and club form, so he's basically getting no marks for the international side of things.

He's probably the best keeper left in it alright, but he represents a bad pick under the rules of the game.

Reina is a poor pick imo.

He's a very good pick if this was based on ability but this is based on international and club form, so he's basically getting no marks for the international side of things.

He's probably the best keeper left in it alright, but he represents a bad pick under the rules of the game.

Who's judging this though? If it's just a majority of users, then Reina will go down as a good pick, despite the criteria as I have a feeling international form will go largely ignored to many. :(

Who's judging this though? If it's just a majority of users, then Reina will go down as a good pick, despite the criteria as I have a feeling international form will go largely ignored to many. :(

We're supposed to be judging it that way. But what's happening is people are taking players into account because of their club form. Reina is an oustanding goalkeeper, no doubt about it, but internationally he's awful because he's barely played.

People are picking players for all the wrong reasons.
    This is based on a combination of club and international form. Not the footballing ability of the player.

We're supposed to be judging it that way. But what's happening is people are taking players into account because of their club form. Reina is an oustanding goalkeeper, no doubt about it, but internationally he's awful because he's barely played.

This is based on a combination of club and international form. Not the footballing ability of the player.

I know how it should be, Im just saying if you're going to leave the voting to anybody who frequents the soccer forum and not those who have been involved in this, there'll be very little incentive for them to take the proper criteria into account. A carefully selected judging panel would be much more approriate, if at all possible, as they know who to look for. Would also eliminate any "I chose this team as they have more Liverpool/United/Chelsea/Arsenal players".

In fairness, I think the ability of a footballer should be a big factor. I know it's not according to the rules of the game, but I'd question that decision. I mean, if this was real, and we were able to pick a team of these players to play against each other, then Reina would be a superb player to have. He hasn't played much international football because Spain have an embarrassment of riches, he'd still be a fantastic goalkeeper to draft into a team of players for a once-off tournament.

I see where you're coming from, those are the parametres of the game, but I do think a footballer's ability should be a bigger factor.
    A carefully selected judging panel would be much more approriate, if at all possible, as they know who to look for. Would also eliminate any "I chose this team as they have more Liverpool/United/Chelsea/Arsenal players".

In the PL draft, only the votes of other contestants counted.

• Advertisement

Cambiasso and Essien are great picks. They were always going to be the first to go, so I never held out much hope of them. It's gonna be a long round, I have my first choice in mind and I really really hope he goes under the radar.

Cambiasso's a great player, but I was so sure eagle eye would pick Essien that I had Cambiasso marked as my pick. Delighted to get Essien. My midfield is looking good.

In the PL draft, only the votes of other contestants counted.

If that's how this works, then great. I wasn't around for the last one so didn't know that :o

Only the other contestants get to vote in it afaik?

But you picked Malouda just before me. Class when he does play for France but he rarely starts for them. Just like Reina but when he does play he is superb for them as usual.

If that's how this works, then great. I wasn't around for the last one so didn't know that :o

It isn't as things stand; Voltwad said in the OP that we're at the mercy of the entire forum.

• Advertisement

Cambiasso's a great player, but I was so sure eagle eye would pick Essien that I had Cambiasso marked as my pick. Delighted to get Essien. My midfield is looking good.

Problem with Essien is that he hasn't played for ages.

phew assumed id pick 2 terrible players whilst drunk but im happy with my Gattuso Riquelme partnership

phew assumed id pick 2 terrible players whilst drunk but im happy with my Gattuso Riquelme partnership

Fair play for having the presence of mind to log in and take your pick. From your post earlier I thought you'd be swinging off a lamp-post or something now, and we'd be done with picks until tomorrow :pac:

Fair play for having the presence of mind to log in and take your pick. From your post earlier I thought you'd be swinging off a lamp-post or something now, and we'd be done with picks until tomorrow :pac:

thanks as i kinda am quite close to pulling the hottest spanish girl ive ever met and we havent spoke one word either could understand all night and im almost finished my second whiskey bottle too. woot onlu a few spelling mystakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

i kinda am quite close to pulling the hottest spanish girl ive ever met

not that close if you are partaking in internet games tbh

• Advertisement

tb h she is reccomeneding picks one of the only things we can convers about except through facial expressions making fun of each other and others :pac: this is a fun night.... i shouldent be able to post now

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

tb h she is reccomeneding picks one of the only things we can convers about except through facial expressions making fun of each other and others :pac: this is a fun night.... i shouldent be able to post now
    One might question your current posting ability :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

One might question your current posting ability :)

ONE MIGHT BUT... I SHOULD NOT BE POSTING.... ooo caps lock... hmmm

Casillas

Gattuso
    Riquelme

higuain

1. Necronomicon - Messi, Diego Forlan, Lahm
    2. SlickRic - Xavi, John Terry, Anelka
    3. Whatawaster - Ronaldo, Yoann Gourcuff, Evra
    4. Gillington - Villa, Dani Alves, Robinho
    5. Frisbee - Rooney, Piqué, David Silva
    6. MNG - Drogba, Carles Puyol, Walter Samuel
    7. Mr. Guappa - Fabregas, Chiellini, Ashley Cole
    8. Redzerdrog - Torres, Schweinsteiger, Per Mertesacker
    9. Xavi - Lampard, Lucio, Diego Milito,
    10. Voltwad - Iniesta, Yaya Toure, Sergio Aguero
    11. Minto - Van Persie, Gianluigi Buffon, Joe Cole
    12. BigBenRoeth - Palacios, Nemanja Vidic, Miroslav Klose
    13. Mitch Connor - Sneijder, Danielle De Rossi, Di Natale,
    14. Curry-muff - Julio Cesar, Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez
    15. LuckyLloyd - Kaka, Mascherano, Ricardo Carvalho
    16. Titan18 - Fabiano, Maicon, Marek Hamsik
    17. Bamboozling - Eto'o, Ribery, Pepe
    18. Bounty Hunter - Casillas, Higuain, Gattuso, Riquelme
    19. Archimedes - Robben, Pirlo, Malouda, Michael Essien
    20. Eagle eye - Alonso, Tevez, Pepe Reina, Esteban Cambiasso

Very happy with my team so far considering my position in the draft.

1276401285316178.jpg

What's the story with this round? We can only pick players who aren't currently a member of a 23 man WC panel? :confused:

What's the story with this round? We can only pick players who aren't currently a member of a 23 man WC panel? :confused:

Yup, anyone who isn't a member of the current panel. They can have been called up but removed since.

Yup, anyone who isn't a member of the current panel. They can have been called up but removed since.

Can they be players for teams who haven't qualified?

titan18 wrote: »
    Can they be players for teams who haven't qualified?

Oh surely yes, otherwise it's a pretty silly round, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Of course they can. As long as they're not retired, they'r valid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement