Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Delighted to have got Ibrahimovic. I was certain he'd be the first to go in this round. Is it too early to start debating the merits of each other's teams? Because mijne is UNREAL!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Kinda wanted Ibra, but one thing to worry about is that a lot of people don't rate him or like him.

Dzeko might have been a bit early in this round, but he'd definately have gone sometime.Too much choice in this round, and I'd have much preferred to be at the end of the round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I take it you didnt score her then Bounty Hunter if you were posting at 4am!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Damn I was praying Dzeko would go under the radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Gillington wrote: »
    I take it you didnt score her then Bounty Hunter if you were posting at 4am!?

He's in Tokyo iirc so he definitely did and posted that while sitting on the couch horribly hungover.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Frisbee wrote: »
    He's in Tokyo iirc so he definitely did and posted that while sitting on the couch horribly hungover.

Taiwan and lying in bed (about 11am my time) hungover after she left :pac: hmmm the next morning was awkward... neither of us could understand a word either of us said to each other and now apparently im supposed to be in consideration to teach her english. fun times, she was a fan of Riquelme

happy to have gotten that pair Gattuso/Riquelme considering the state i was in as they really do compliment each other very well (obviously akin to Gattuso/Pirlo).

Can a mod edit the list of picks i keep updating into the OP of the picks thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Picked and PM'd, glad to have Ferdy on board as we are fast running out of top class centre backs :(

Can a mod edit the list of picks i keep updating into the OP of the picks thread

Donezo.

You dirty dog.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Donezo.

You dirty dog.

:D

cheers ill try and update that list every round or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

curry-muff wrote: »
    Picked and PM'd, glad to have Ferdy on board as we are fast running out of top class centre backs :(

I thought Rio was only eligible in the regular rounds since he was named in the original 23?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

He's not in the current 23 - Dawson was called up to replace him - therefore his eligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

FML-i wanted Zannetti.
    Wishful thinking to expect him to be there for my pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Archimedes wrote: »
    He's not in the current 23 - Dawson was called up to replace him - therefore his eligible.

I was told they would be eligible as long as they were in the original 23:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66236100&postcount=76

But the question was asked earlier in the game that if a player was called up but then injured and out of the tournament could they play in the regular rounds (every round except 4 and 8) and the verdict was given as a yes, as they were in the original squad.

Ambiguity central

I was told they would be eligible as long as they were in the original 23:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66236100&postcount=76

Was that not in reference to round 4 though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rio is not part of the England squad so he is perfectly legit in this round, I'm sure you could use him if he was still available after this round but thats not the case.

Just class him as one of the very few players who can be in either category. No big deal, he wasn't taken before the 4th round so there is no point complaining.

Was that not in reference to round 4 though?

No because I was asking in terms of the overall game as I had my eye on Drogba. There was talk he would have to leave the tournament due to his elbow injury so I wanted to ensure I wasn't making a dud pick.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Rio is not part of the England squad so he is perfectly legit in this round, I'm sure you could use him if he was still available after this round but thats not the case.

Just class him as one of the very few players who can be in either category. No big deal, he wasn't taken before the 4th round so there is no point complaining.

I just wanted this clarified because I was under the impression that Ferdinand was not eligible in this round and I had him in mind as a possible pick in Round 5.

The way I look at it:
    Voltwad wrote: »

[*]There will be 9 normal rounds where you can pick any of the players from the squads announced. Round 4 will be for a non World Cup player only while round 7 will be a legends round where you can pick any of the greats who played at the World Cup and not necessarily for a team that qualified.

Rio isn't available for selection any more for England, so Id count that as a non World Cup player.

I never noticed the round 7 legends thing. Thats ridiculously unfair, it means that whoever had the pick of the best players in the world today also gets the pick of the legends.

• Advertisement

I never noticed the round 7 legends thing. Thats ridiculously unfair, it means that whoever had the pick of the best players in the world today also gets the pick of the legends.

Was thinking the same myself, maybe do a separate random draw for that round? Although its not exactly a shallow pool of players to choose from!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I would've rathered start Round 4 than Round 7 tbh. There are far more legends in the game than there are world-class players at the World Cup. I've been planning my team around Round 7, it'd be unfair to move the goal-posts after we've started.

yeah its fair as is, people who get the early pick in the non WC round get a late one in the Legends round and vice versa. Plus as mentioned there are tonnes of available Legends to choose from to fill any position needed however should people think a seperate draw is needed for that round id go along with that but only for one reason, that im going to be no.18 in that round otherwise (but im ok with that).

having said that i do see the point that people who got Messi, Ronaldo etc will also end up with the players considerd the best of all time too so hmm maybe this should actually be re-randomised

Maybe two legends rounds? 7 and 11? Would be fairer I suppose.

Maybe two legends rounds? 7 and 11? Would be fairer I suppose.

would the 2nd one not need to be an even round so that the same people dont get the top drafts in both legends rounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Yeah it does seem unfair to me. In the PW Draft we had a draw every round for this very reason.

would the 2nd one not need to be an even round so that the same people dont get the top drafts in both legends rounds?

Pardon my pathetic maths skills :o

I don't mind but I do see the point in how it's slightly unfair.People who were able to draft Messi,Ronaldo etc are able to take the best players ever.As much as there is a load of available players, comparing the top few to the guys drafted at the end there will be a drop off.In discussions about who is the best ever, it's only 3 or 4 talked about.

titan18 wrote: »
    I don't mind but I do see the point in how it's slightly unfair.People who were able to draft Messi,Ronaldo etc are able to take the best players ever.As much as there is a load of available players, comparing the top few to the guys drafted at the end there will be a drop off.In discussions about who is the best ever, it's only 3 or 4 talked about.

I think it would be extremely short-sighted to suggest that there are only 3 or 4 genuine legends of the game. The people who got Messi, Ronaldo etc had to wait 35-40 picks before their next one, I thought that was there to level the playing field. And, as I've mentioned, the people at the end of the draw got first pick in Round 4, where there is a substantially smaller pool of quality players than Round 7.

I think it would be extremely short-sighted to suggest that there are only 3 or 4 genuine legends of the game. The people who got Messi, Ronaldo etc had to wait 35-40 picks before their next one, I thought that was there to level the playing field. And, as I've mentioned, the people at the end of the draw got first pick in Round 4, where there is a substantially smaller pool of quality players than Round 7.

Agree 100%. Those of us in the top end of the draw for this round have a long wait while quality of the likes of Essien and Cambiasso got snapped up.

There are way more than 20 legends of the game to choose from so it's not unfair. If the goalposts are changed at this stage it's absurd because like yourself I've been making plans for future rounds, and also taking into account the fact many players won't be open to me in this round.

Not right that those of us with a long wait in Rd 4 should have potentially a long wait for Rd 7 too.

• Advertisement

Not being shortsighted, but in a discussion about best ever, you'd rarely consider more than that.It's generally only 2 who got mentioned amongst the majority of people.If this is being voted on by everyone in the forum who wants to, the team with Messi/Ronaldo/Xavi and a player considered the best ever, will have a big advantage.Ya, there is a smaller pool of quality players in round 4 but there are far better players in round 7.

I don't mind if nothing is done or not, but a random order for round 4 and 7 would be the best, and as someone who's picked already in round 4, I'd be in support of starting round 4 again if it was randomised along with 7

titan18 wrote: »
    Not being shortsighted, but in a discussion about best ever, you'd rarely consider more than that.It's generally only 2 who got mentioned amongst the majority of people.If this is being voted on by everyone in the forum who wants to, the team with Messi/Ronaldo/Xavi and a player considered the best ever, will have a big advantage.Ya, there is a smaller pool of quality players in round 4 but there are far better players in round 7.

I don't mind if nothing is done or not, but a random order for round 4 and 7 would be the best, and as someone who's picked already in round 4, I'd be in support of starting round 4 again if it was randomised along with 7

it is a bit late but id also agree that if round 4 and 7 were random order again it probablly would have been fairer (although people would still moan about those who got lucky in both draws). Id be happy to repick rd 4 if needed but dont think itl happen, similarily as said id be happy to be no.18 in rd7 or be part of a new draw (which i dont expect).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Don't think it matters too much. Round 7 is going to be super deep with talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Luka Modric,delighted.
    PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

just to clarify the legends round the player has to be retired yeh??

redzerdrog wrote: »
    just to clarify the legends round the player has to be retired yeh??

Was wondering that myself, theres a few greats playing in quatar, us etc ;)

Was wondering that myself, theres a few greats playing in quatar, us etc ;)
    Retired from International Football sounds right.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Retired from International Football sounds right.

Officially retired I take it. Not someone at the end of their career who has just stopped being called up without officially announcing their retirement.

Officially retired I take it. Not someone at the end of their career who has just stopped being called up without officially announcing their retirement.

Guessing were all on about the same fella then ;)

• Advertisement

Guessing were all on about the same fella then ;)

No idea what you're taking about...

;)

This is another grey area.. how about anyone who previously played at a World Cup but is not at this one? That would take any ambiguity out of it.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    This is another grey area.. how about anyone who previously played at a World Cup but is not at this one? That would take any ambiguity out of it.
    Yeah seeing as how it's a world cup draft that would make sense.

I think retired from the game would be best - because if you pick a legend who's still playing in some capacity, I'd assume you're getting that player as he is now, rather than at his peak.

I think retired from the game would be best - because if you pick a legend who's still playing in some capacity, I'd assume you're getting that player as he is now, rather than at his peak.

Exactly. We al know who we're referring to. Ronaldo. As much as I'd love him in my team, his current ability doesn't justify a pick in Round 4, which is the only round he is eligible for. This game shouldn't have any grey areas, Round 7 should purely be for players who are not playing football anymore, club or international.

I think we should just not have that round.

• Advertisement

Agree 100%. Those of us in the top end of the draw for this round have a long wait while quality of the likes of Essien and Cambiasso got snapped up.

There are way more than 20 legends of the game to choose from so it's not unfair. If the goalposts are changed at this stage it's absurd because like yourself I've been making plans for future rounds, and also taking into account the fact many players won't be open to me in this round.

Not right that those of us with a long wait in Rd 4 should have potentially a long wait for Rd 7 too.

You've got to be joking, clearly its the top half of the draw that has the biggest advantage, they get first pick in the first round and the legends round, complaining about the bottom half getting first pick in round 4 is pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Exactly. We al know who we're referring to. Ronaldo. As much as I'd love him in my team, his current ability doesn't justify a pick in Round 4, which is the only round he is eligible for. This game shouldn't have any grey areas, Round 7 should purely be for players who are not playing football anymore, club or international.

i dont think you should have mentioned the name because some people might have taught he was a good pick for this round and have now changed their mind or the opposite some might be struggling for a pick and now have an idea

redzerdrog wrote: »
    i dont think you should have mentioned the name because some people might have taught he was a good pick for this round and have now changed their mind or the opposite some might be struggling for a pick and now have an idea
    Somehow I don't think so.

ronaldo-fat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You've got to be joking, clearly its the top half of the draw that has the biggest advantage, they get first pick in the first round and the legends round, complaining about the bottom half getting first pick in round 4 is pathetic.

Yeah, it is a bit of a ridiculous complaint but so what. Getting one of the top five picks in this process was an absolutely massive advantage but thems the breaks.

Surely before the draft started was the time to raise these complaints?

You can't change the rules halfway through the game as people will already have strategies/players planned out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement