Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hmm, surprised to see Alex go at all this round to be perfectly honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Thought he was a great pick myself. First choice centre back at the champions of England. Had a really solid season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Same, thought Beckham was a weird pick too, and I hadn't expected Modric to go, but it's an ok pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

titan18 wrote: »
    Same, thought Beckham was a weird pick too, and I hadn't expected Modric to go, but it's an ok pick.

Thaught Beckham was a bit of an odd pick myself....was happy to have Modric myself

*EDIT* this coming from the sad person who picked Palacios first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i have a shortlist of 5 players that i cant believe are still here but there is only xavi before me and i wont be on again till 2morro evening so if someone wants to take my picks i will pm them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Yeah go on mate I'll take them from ya.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Yeah go on mate I'll take them from ya.

cheers i have it down to 2 players just have to try make up my mind who is my 1st choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Great game. I'll definitely be following this. Don't know if I'd be dedicated enough and good enough to be able to compete myself though. Some odd choices so far and some good teams being build.

I've a question about the legends round actually.
    Can dead players be picked?
    I assume they can?

I've a question about the legends round actually.
    Can dead players be picked?
    I assume they can?
    As long as they played in the tournament finals and are retired then yes.

• Advertisement

Sorted so,cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

So no George Best then?

Archimedes wrote: »
    So no George Best then?
    Nope, arguably the greatest player to have never competed in the finals

Nope, arguably the greatest player to have never competed in the finals

Paolo di Canio being another one,but that's another story for another thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Xavi ya bollox, you've destroyed my round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

curry-muff wrote: »
    You've got to be joking, clearly its the top half of the draw that has the biggest advantage, they get first pick in the first round and the legends round, complaining about the bottom half getting first pick in round 4 is pathetic.

Bollocks.

Take me. I picked Drogba in round 1 being the number 6 in the draw. Now he is a very good acquisition, but not exactly on a different level to other players taken in the other levels of the draw. Eto'o for instance (number 17). I had to wait a long time to get my number 2 pick as well. Fair enough.

This round, I've seen top players get snapped up who I would have loved. This disadvantages me does it not? I knew I could rule out the likes of Cambiasso and Modric. Again, fair enough as the legends round balances it out. There are more quality players available in the legends round than in this round. You have to work with your advantages and your disadvantages.

Why should people in my area of the draw potentially have to be disadvantaged in Rd 7 when we have had to deal with that this round? That's pathetic and a bloody ludicrous notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Bollocks.

Take me. I picked Drogba in round 1 being the number 6 in the draw. Now he is a very good acquisition, but not exactly on a different level to other players taken in the other levels of the draw. Eto'o for instance (number 17). I had to wait a long time to get my number 2 pick as well. Fair enough.

This round, I've seen top players get snapped up who I would have loved. This disadvantages me does it not? I knew I could rule out the likes of Cambiasso and Modric. Again, fair enough as the legends round balances it out. There are more quality players available in the legends round than in this round. You have to work with your advantages and your disadvantages.

Why should people in my area of the draw potentially have to be disadvantaged in Rd 7 when we have had to deal with that this round? That's pathetic and a bloody ludicrous notion.

First of all I was just posting asking people in the top half to stop crying about being on the low end of the draw for one round, despite being on the best end of two of the 3 most important rounds.

Secondly you said
    This round, I've seen top players get snapped up who I would have loved. This disadvantages me does it not?

Boo hoo this happens the bottom half on 6/11 rounds!!!

Thirdly, not once did I suggest that anyone should be 'disadvantaged' as you put it in the 7th round, so don't call me pathetic after your stupid post, just accept that you are on the most favourable side of the draw and stop whinging about one round :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bollocks.

No this is a load of bollocks.

A legends round is so unfair and unbalanced, its the best of the best all time. Its way more uneven than a round containing world cup players or non-world cup players currently playing football.

You got to pick at no.6 in the first round. I got to pick at no.20.
    I got first pick at the players not in the World Cup you get to pick at 15 in that round.
    Everything is fair.

This legends round makes it unfair. I'm not looking to be first to pick in the round of the legends, I just think that round should be omitted.

If you are going to have a legends round then you have to have two to try and balance it up. And tbh its something that could be a whole other draft instead of bothering with it in this draft.

First of all I was just posting asking people in the top half to stop crying about being on the low end of the draw for one round, despite being on the best end of two of the 3 most important rounds.

Eh nobody was 'crying' about that. The issue came about due to suggestions those in the bottom half were hard done by in Rd 7 and that perhaps the draw should be altered for that round. It was pointed out by some of us that it actually worked out quite fairly overall.
    curry-muff wrote:
    Boo hoo this happens the bottom half on 6/11 rounds!!!

Wow, well done. You make it look like I'm whingeing by editing out the bit where I went on to say in the next sentence:
    ...Again, fair enough as the legends round balances it out. There are more quality players available in the legends round than in this round. You have to work with your advantages and your disadvantages.

Wise up ffs. :rolleyes:
    curry-muff wrote:
    Thirdly, not once did I suggest that anyone should be 'disadvantaged' as you put it in the 7th round, so don't call me pathetic after your stupid post, just accept that you are on the most favourable side of the draw and stop whinging about one round :rolleyes:

Firstly, you introduced the word 'pathetic' not me. It acutally reads like you came in with all guns blazing without actually looking at the other posts in the thread. You may not have suggested anyone should be disadvantaged but it was mooted that this ought to happen in Rd 7. This is the whole point and was what Necro and myself disagreed with.

There was no 'boo hoo' whingeing and we were not complaining about the fact that those in Rd 4 got to pick first. We were pointing out this round was FAIR ENOUGH and that therefore Rd 7 was also fair. Again, if you had actually looked at the issue instead of coming in with all guns blazing you might have seen that.

I haven't been whingeing about my place in this round at all. I've said it's FAIR on the overall scheme of things. If you tried looking at things more carefully and didn't alter my posts in such a petty manner you might have spotted that.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    No this is a load of bollocks.

A legends round is so unfair and unbalanced, its the best of the best all time. Its way more uneven than a round containing world cup players or non-world cup players currently playing football.

You got to pick at no.6 in the first round. I got to pick at no.20.
    I got first pick at the players not in the World Cup you get to pick at 15 in that round.
    Everything is fair.

This legends round makes it unfair. I'm not looking to be first to pick in the round of the legends, I just think that round should be omitted.

If you are going to have a legends round then you have to have two to try and balance it up. And tbh its something that could be a whole other draft instead of bothering with it in this draft.

I don't really go along with that as the nature of the draw system is that while you got number 20 in Rd 1 which is a disadvantage, you also got number 1 in Rd 2 which is surely an advantage? Is that not levelling the playng field? I got what, 14 in Rd 2? Too late to know if that's right. :pac:

The legends round certainly requires thinking outside the box as for example I know about 4 players I can definitely write off, even though I have a far handier draw that round than you, but I think Rd 4 levelled that playing field on your end as I had to write off a lot of quality acquisitions.

I recognise it is the best of all time and I think we both know the players who will go first, second etc. but every team should have a star player there since the list of possiblities in Rd 7 is massive.

The main problem I have is, like Necro, having to plan for factors such as a tricky Rd 4 draw and a decent Rd 7 draw. It was said there would be two special rounds and that some of us would have it tough in one and handy in another. If the goalposts get changed at this point then it becomes farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't really go along with that as the nature of the draw system is that while you got number 20 in Rd 1 which is a disadvantage, you also got number 1 in Rd 2 which is surely an advantage? Is that not levelling the playng field? I got what, 14 in Rd 2? Too late to know if that's right. :pac:

The legends round certainly requires thinking outside the box as for example I know about 4 players I can definitely write off, even though I have a far handier draw that round than you, but I think Rd 4 levelled that playing field on your end as I had to write off a lot of quality acquisitions.

I recognise it is the best of all time and I think we both know the players who will go first, second etc. but every team should have a star player there since the list of possiblities in Rd 7 is massive.

The main problem I have is, like Necro, having to plan for factors such as a tricky Rd 4 draw and a decent Rd 7 draw. It was said there would be two special rounds and that some of us would have it tough in one and handy in another. If the goalposts get changed at this point then it becomes farcical.
    Round 1 is a very special round in this draft, Round 4 is just awkward to be fair. I'd be much happier to take out round 4 and round 7 and leave it all players playing in the current World Cup.

Your changing the goalposts comment is just sad, its about fairness.

I'm happy to restart round 4 and leave all players not in the World Cup out of it if you are happy to leave out round 7 also. I know you don't want to do what though because there is such an unfair edge in having a high pick in the legends round.

So either two legends rounds or none and I'm happy to forget the round 4 picks if we decide to omit players who are not participating in the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

You've got to be joking, clearly its the top half of the draw that has the biggest advantage, they get first pick in the first round and the legends round, complaining about the bottom half getting first pick in round 4 is pathetic.

Hold on, he wasn't complaining about the order of the draw, he (like myself) was just offering perspective on the actual complaint that was brought up.
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Surely before the draft started was the time to raise these complaints?

You can't change the rules halfway through the game as people will already have strategies/players planned out.

This is the crux of the issue, and is what would make the game farcical.

I actually would have called it a fair point at the beginning of the game, and to be honest I don't think it's a complaint without some merit. My issue is the timing. The player I have in mind for Round 7 plays in a position that I haven't given a solitary thought to so far, because I knew I was going to fill it then. And it's a position that I'd regard as pivitol to my plan, so I would undoubtedly have picked a player in that position in Round 2 or 3.

Maybe next time you could be more observant of the rules before the game starts and register your complaint then, rather than moving the goalposts halfway through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Pick made and PM sent. Decided to take Cech with the number of top goalkeepers dwindling fast.

On the legends round thing: I don't think you can change the goalposts now as everyone will have made plans based on who they can expect to get in round 7 and moulded their team around that. Of course there will be some level of unfairness in any process such as this, and when you take any 1 round in isolation then yes, it is unfair, but when you consider it over 11 rounds, then things even themselves out to a reasonable extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I have number 3 pick, and i have to admit it is an advantage, but i'd have no problem doing a random draw for the legends round because i have a specific player in mind for a specific position who i suspect won't be first choice for many.

However i think changing anything now is unfair on people who have probably been planning their team, sacrificing certain picks in order to pick a certain legend. Some people are taking this a little too seriously imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think people round the middle of the draw have it worst. (same in the PL draft). People in the middle never get first shot at the stars of the world cup, stars not in the world cup or legends of the game, we are always scrabbling around for second choices in every single round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the round 7 argument has some merit, no doubt.

but it's not as big an advantage as people are making out to be in the top half of the legends round; it really isn't.

i could name 20 legends right now that are of insane quality; and there wouldn't be that big a difference. think about it. yes, it's obvious who the couple of players are who people have their eye on, but honestly, there's so much choice.

decades of World and European Footballers of the Year.
    entire teams of legends.

and you need balance. Round 4 is a pain in the a*se, speaking personally, and as much as I got a Xavi in the 1st round, the bottom couple in that round got 2 high enough quality picks in quick succession, while a couple of us waited 30-40 picks; plus the bottom couple in round 1 were always going to get an Essien/Cambiasso in Round 4 (two top 10/20 picks easily). so it evens itself out more than some are making out.

everyone is going to get an absolute stonker of a player in Round 7; yes 2/3 might get the absolute best of the best, but there's not a massive difference at all. if people can't think of 20 top-tier game changing players over the history of football, well then i worry for you.

so much so, that it wouldn't even bother me to change it to a random draw, bar the fact it f*cks up some people's plans, which isn't really fair at this stage. i know even if i get pick 20 in that round, i'm going to get a brilliant addition, no matter what position i choose to fill.

I think people round the middle of the draw have it worst. (same in the PL draft). People in the middle never get first shot at the stars of the world cup, stars not in the world cup or legends of the game, we are always scrabbling around for second choices in every single round.

That makes no sense. The draft doesn't reset after every round. You don't have to wait almost 40 picks between some rounds. You don't get last pick in any of the three major rounds (1,4,7)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That makes no sense. The draft doesn't reset after every round. You don't have to wait almost 40 picks between some rounds. You don't get last pick in any of the three major rounds (1,4,7)

we are also never near the first couple of picks.

we are also never near the first couple of picks.

I was in the middle of the PL draft, I found it a grand place to be. When the first or last person had their double picks, it was always a steady pace being in the middle I found.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Round 1 is a very special round in this draft, Round 4 is just awkward to be fair. I'd be much happier to take out round 4 and round 7 and leave it all players playing in the current World Cup.

Your changing the goalposts comment is just sad, its about fairness.

I'm happy to restart round 4 and leave all players not in the World Cup out of it if you are happy to leave out round 7 also. I know you don't want to do what though because there is such an unfair edge in having a high pick in the legends round.

So either two legends rounds or none and I'm happy to forget the round 4 picks if we decide to omit players who are not participating in the World Cup.

I just don't agree Rd 1 was as special as you make out it was. Yes you had it tough due to your number 20, but you also had a double pick to even the odds, so imo, it balanced out. I got to pick Drogba, and you got to pick Alonso and Tevez. I don't think there's a disparity there at all. In fact, I think most of the teams are very even looking at the moment.

I don't think the legends round will alter that situation any more than Rd 4 might. I would echo SlickRic's view that there is such a wealth of talent everyone will be catered for. I think throwing out rounds at this stage would be a bit much though considering the planning involved.

A possible solution could be to make Rd 8 a legends round also and then you could take two legends in one and that could even things up a bit. Don't know if that would meet general approval or not.

Anyways I don't want to keep harping on about this matter as it's meant to be a bit of fun.

• Advertisement

Nice pick there with Arshavin MNG, had considered him myself, but much like Aguero in the previous round I passed on him because I didn't see them as good fits in the fromation I am going for.

Pick made and PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

It's fine as is, we all agreed to it at the start. End of debate. (Fwiw, I'm in 19th and I have no problem with it at all).

Edit: Sorry Mitch, no idea why I quoted your post! :P

Frisbee wrote: »
    Pick made and PM sent

Akinfeev is a brilliant pick.

My first choice pick (and indeed my back up in case he is taken) is still there. 17 down, 2 to go.

I probably just jinxed myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yay,Fletcher is taken.You have the best team now imo.Anybody with Fletcher gets that honour

pick made, pm sent.

Delighted with Fletcher. It was a choice between him and another hard-working PL midfielder. Fletcher's leadership experience and experience at the highest level in Europe won him my vote.

Team so far:

X

X
    X
    X
    Evra

Fletcher
    X

X
    Gourcuff
    Ronaldo--

X

Solid picks so far. Might get a good few more done today with a bit of luck.

Solid picks so far. Might get a good few more done today with a bit of luck.

Yeah we're getting through them at a decent enough clip. During the week in the evenings will always be the best time as during the day people are in work and might not have net access and at the weekends people have other stuff to be doing.

done.

PM sent.

mmmm....Terry and Nesta.

you shall not pass!

;)

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    done.

PM sent.

mmmm....Terry and Nesta.

you shall not pass!

;)

I'll just run around the back of them instead :)

done.

PM sent.

mmmm....Terry and Nesta.

you shall not pass!

;)

3 or 4 years ago ;)

3 or 4 years ago ;)
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I'll just run around the back of them instead :)

i see the deabte is starting...

1) Terry, while not as quick as a fully fit Ferdinand, is not slow. that is a myth.

2) Nesta is also still plenty quick enough over a short dash at least.

3) both their readings of the game makes up for any perceived lack of pace.

4) sure with Xavi controlling the play, they won't have much defending to do either way ;)

i see the deabte is starting...

1) Terry, while not as quick as a fully fit Ferdinand, is not slow. that is a myth.

2) Nesta is also still plenty quick enough over a short dash at least.

3) both their readings of the game makes up for any perceived lack of pace.

4) sure with Xavi controlling the play, they won't have much defending to do either way ;)

Terry is slow. He's fantastic in the air, but i don't think he's that good a defender anymore. I've always thought he was helped out hugely by Carvalho at club level. Good player at his peak.

Now Nesta, he was good. I don't watch enough Italian football to know if he still is or not to be honest, but he was one of the best.

Terry is slow. He's fantastic in the air, but i don't think he's that good a defender anymore. I've always thought he was helped out hugely by Carvalho at club level. Good player at his peak.

apologies, but bullsh*t.

England's best player on Sunday; held that defence together, making up for mistakes all over the place.

Chelsea's best player bar Malouda against Utd at Old Trafford.

Chelsea's best defender against Liverpool in that first half when we actually looked like we might give a sh*t.

he had a rocky couple of months after the 'incident', but he picked up again come the end of March/April if i remember correctly.

Carvalho is no doubt a great defender, and their partnership was very impressive; but Terry would not get away with being as slow as people think he is at the highest level.

plus, a la Vidic, he puts his head where most people don't put feet, and he reads the game better than people give him credit for.

apologies, but bullsh*t.

England's best player on Sunday; held that defence together, making up for mistakes all over the place.

Chelsea's best player bar Malouda against Utd at Old Trafford.

Chelsea's best defender against Liverpool in that first half when we actually looked like we might give a sh*t.

he had a rocky couple of months after the 'incident', but he picked up again come the end of March/April if i remember correctly.

Carvalho is no doubt a great defender, and their partnership was very impressive; but Terry would not get away with being as slow as people think he is at the highest level.

plus, a la Vidic, he puts his head where most people don't put feet, and he reads the game better than people give him credit for.

Using 2 and a half games as examples isn’t going to change my opinion. He’s become increasingly error prone over the last couple of years.

He is slow, and yes, he has gotten away with it in the past. Good defenders get away with it all the time – Hyypia used to, Carragher used to, as did plenty of others . . . Terry thrived on playing with someone sweeping up behind him – be that Carvalho or Ferdinand.

Good defenders get away with it all the time – Hyypia used to, Carragher used to, as did plenty of others . . . Terry thrived on playing with someone sweeping up behind him – be that Carvalho or Ferdinand.

to be fair, i'm not going to list off every game he played well in.

and in terms of sweeping up, that's what Nesta's for, hence the partnership.

any defender will make a mistake, and it's good to know the bloke beside you can read the game well and sweep up.

Nesta does that as well as anyone. he'll be the 'Carvalho figure' in the combination.

on the legends debate it prob would have been fairer to have the non world cup players and the legends the opposit way round that way 1st picks would also have 1st pick of non wc players but last pick of legends.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    on the legends debate it prob would have been fairer to have the non world cup players and the legends the opposit way round that way 1st picks would also have 1st pick of non wc players but last pick of legends.

But there is much more choice of legends than there is of decent Non-WC players.

• Advertisement

Keita is a fantastic pick Necro. I had considered him for this round but decided GK was a much more pressing concern.

Advertisement