Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody buying a cooker fridge or washing machine in powercity this weekend ???

Options
  • 03-06-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hi is anyone buying these appliances this weekend if i so i need your help on this one it will be great if you are and you could get in touch with me my email add is murtagh1@gmail.com i will explain it more thanks guys or even in the last few days if you have can you get in touch thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

do you want to return an old one under the weee directive?

Keep an eye out, the council do regular collection for free. Last Saturday in Tesco Ballybrack for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 murtagh1

no i went to my local welfare office about a new cooker which i then went out to buy so now 5 weeks later i recieve a cheque from the social made out to powercity so i went to see them with my receipt of my new cooker and they told me they could not change the cheque for me that i had to buy a cooker or fridge or washing machine out but i dont need one im out of work with three kids and really annoyed i rang my community welfare officer who told me that he wont change cheque into my name as it has to be for goods so what do i do now this country just gets better all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

so you're trying to commit welfare fraud?
    Reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 murtagh1

no im not i just wish i could sort this out i really dont have any other way of finding things out im getting no where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭themetallifan

So welfare fraud then...

The money was given to you for those appliances. Therefore, you use them for those appliances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

So welfare fraud then...

The money was given to you for those appliances. Therefore, you use them for those appliances.

He already got the cooker while he was waiting for the money from social welfare, and thought he would be re-imbursed later. Five weeks would be a long time for a family to manage without a cooker.

To OP, if they gave cheques payable to individuals the system would be wide open to abuse, as someone could claim that they needed a particular item and then spend the money on drink instead. But in your case since you went ahead and bought the cooker when you needed it and you have a receipt, the community welfare officer should be more flexible.

By the way, do they ask you first where you wish to buy an appliance, or do they favour PowerCity over other retailers?

Advertisement