Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos and Muscles

Options
  • 03-06-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm strongly considering getting an Ogham Stone tattooed on the back of my upper arm. It would be on the back of my arm so that when i'm standing relaxed it would be facing backwards, in other words, covering my tricep.
    My question is: I will be going back playing rugby in September after a long injury where i broke ribs so i have lost a bit of muscle mass. I will be building this muscle back up gradually and i want to know would the changing shape of the muscle warp the shape of the tattoo?
    I'm not talking body builder type muscles now, just building them up to a healthy size from a very average size. The most they would grow would be 30% i'd say.
    I'd really appreciate some advice on this
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

make no difference at all

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Really? that's what i was hoping. It was just that i saw a guy a few years back with ridiculously big muscles (obviously on major steroids) and you can tell that he had tattooos befor he got to that size because they were all warped an faded almost out of existance.That's an extreme example of course but i was wondering if it could effect me on a smaller scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Simply put, it depends on how much the tattooed area will have to be stretched. If you get it somewhere that won't be growing much at all, then there'll be no effect. Obviously the more the area grows, the bigger the impact. The placement should probably depend on where you're going to try to build up the most, and simply avoid that area (Or wait till you've bulked up!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

any picture of the design ur getting, im planning one myself

I have a very detailed picture but unfortunately it only exists in my mind. I'm after a sort of close up, photo-realistic picture of the full length of an ogham stone in the ground wit hopefully something meaningful engraved on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Make sure that when you're deciding who to get to do it that they are good at doing stone-looking tattoos, as if it's not done well, it'll just look like a slab of concrete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I have a tattoo on my calf ,recently I lost a lot of weight including on my calves and then put up more muscle in that area too, and my tattoo didnt change at all! best of luck with it!

Cheers for the advise, ya i'd be very fussy with who i'd go to for any work. The guy i have in mind has a great profile and i'll ask him about it, unfortunately he's booked out til September apparently so i'll be waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

There is not a chance you are going to increase you arm size by 30% from rugby training. Even if you took up a body building type routine it would take years for those kind of gains.

The average arm size is around 13 inches then a 30% gain would bring you up to around 17 inches which is never going to happen from rugby training.

SugarHigh wrote: »
    There is not a chance you are going to increase you arm size by 30% from rugby training. Even if you took up a body building type routine it would take years for those kind of gains.

The average arm size is around 13 inches then a 30% gain would bring you up to around 17 inches which is never going to happen from rugby training.

Ya you're probably right, i'm worried about nothing i'm sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,394 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's a 30% gain in diameter, not volume.

OP, any increase is still not going to have much of an effect on you tattoo

Mellor wrote: »

Cool, that's all i wanted to know, cheers

The difference being?

How do you increase the diameter of your arm without increasing it's volume?:confused:

The diameter is the only variable that will change, obviously his arm length won't change so any increase in diameter will be proportional to an increase in volume.

The difference being?

How do you increase the diameter of your arm without increasing it's volume?:confused:

The diameter is the only variable that will change, obviously his arm length won't change so any increase in diameter will be proportional to an increase in volume.
    The thread has descended into science talk:eek:

The difference being?

lol, you think so?
    epic fail there tbh

If you double the diameter of a circle, you increase it's area by 4 (and volume by 4 if the length is the same). Not proportional, ever.

lol, you think so?
    epic fail there tbh

If you double the diameter of a circle, you increase it's area by 4 (and volume by 4 if the length is the same). Not proportional, ever.
    It's a fail for both of us as we should have been talking about circumference not diameter.

It's a fail for both of us as we should have been talking about circumference not diameter.
    No. Circumference and diameter are proportional, makes no odds
    double fail :D

Advertisement