Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

North Korea register Striker as GK

• 03-06-2010 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

FIFA has confirmed North Korea will be only be able to play striker Kim Myong-Won as a goalkeeper at this summer's World Cup.

North Korea named Kim, who plays as a striker for Amrokgang, as one of their goalkeepers as they looked to boost their attacking options, relying on just two shot-stoppers for the tournament.

However, the World Cup Regulations state that "each association will be required to provide FIFA with a final list of no more than 23 players (three of whom shall be goalkeepers)".

FIFA has now told the country they will not be allowed to use Kim as an outfield player and, unless there is an injury, no changes will be permitted to their final squad.

When contacted by Soccernet, FIFA provided the following statement: "The squad lists that the teams had provided to FIFA by June 1, 2010 are final and can no longer be changed. On the final lists must be no more than 23 players, three of whom shall be goalkeepers.

"The only exception is in the case of a serious injury of a player in the list of 23, who could be replaced up until 24 hours before the first match of the team in the competition.

"The three players listed as goalkeepers can only play as goalkeepers during the FIFA World Cup and cannot play outfield. This will be communicated to the teams in the team arrival meetings and will be enforced on match days.

"So to answer the question regarding the North Korean player concretely: Kim Myong-Won will not be allowed to play as an outfield player if he has been put on the list as a goalkeeper."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/792257/ce/uk/?cc=4716&ver=global

loltastic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Had a good laugh at this earlier.

Last man back ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah I thought that was hilarious. Stung.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

What about the mexican goalkeeper who used to play forward ? Wasnt there a difference then

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seems silly to me, if they want to only bring 2 'keepers just let them

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

seems odd there is a rule against goal keepers playing outfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Nowso wrote: »
    What about the mexican goalkeeper who used to play forward ? Wasnt there a difference then

He played as a striker for his club but as goalie for Mexico. Camparas or something like that. Played against us in USA 94. Bit of a prat but a good goalie. Small enough too iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

seems odd there is a rule against goal keepers playing outfield.

Its FIFA. They make the rules up as they go along. Playoff draw for this WC ring any bells?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Ha! North Korea.

In other news....Fifa Headquaters soon to be nuked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

I reckon if NK are going out of the tournamen t... they should stick him on for the last 5 mins in goal... give 2 fingers to FIFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Really want a North Korea jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's a stupid rule, but FIFA have to be seen to be earning their salaries somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

so, only defenders can play in defence??? loada bollix really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

If england wanna stick James up front with Rooney they should be allowed. If you can play a defender in goal due to no subs/injury, why not this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,428 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

evil_seed wrote: »
    so, only defenders can play in defence??? loada bollix really

Good point.

FIFA bow to big countries but when its smaller country in football terms they wont budge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Heard this earlier, laughed my bollix off!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    If england wanna stick James up front with Rooney they should be allowed. If you can play a defender in goal due to no subs/injury, why not this?
    Agreed, much like the FA fining Wolves, organisations should stay out of managers' business

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

FIFA have got a lot of decisions wrong but to be honest I think they're spot on with this one.

There's a big difference between changing your team to have the tactics right or because you're forced to, and intentionally and deceptively registering a forward as a goalkeeper to sneak another striker in your team, especially when you have to have three keepers

So I'm with FIFA this time, good call IMO

But what if you have someone like Alan Smith? A striker and a very good midfielder, so if you reg him as a midfielder you shouldn't be allowed to stick him up front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

But what if you have someone like Alan Smith? A striker and a very good midfielder, so if you reg him as a midfielder you shouldn't be allowed to stick him up front?

It doesn't work like that. There are only two categories - Goalkeepers and Outfield Players.

Oh, I get ya! Still think the manager should be allowed to play a player wherever he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

FFS. I backed him for top scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Aidric wrote: »
    FFS. I backed him for top scorer.
    Ah now, that's funny:)

Got to give the North Koreans top marks for chancing their arms though - balls as big as their nuclear reactors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Jorge Campos it was was he allowed to play outfied in the world cup ?

I wonder could they get around it by starting the match with him in goal, booting the ball out, subbing someone for a keeper, put him in goal and put the striker/keeper up front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Something tells me had Brazil (or France!) wanted to try this then FIFA suddenly wouldn't have had any problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

I dont understand why they wouldn't have just registered him as a defender or something, then stick him up front during a match. Sure its one less defender in a squad, but they were going to have one less goalie so either way there is a risk, and its easier to have a non defender covering a defenders position than it is to have a striker playing as a goalie.

Dont think they thought it through very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Did Ireland not register Niall Quinn as 3rd goalie for an international tournament once ? Heard it on 5-live so no guarantee I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Wasn't Dugarry registered as a defender back in 2002 for France?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

token56 wrote: »
    I dont understand why they wouldn't have just registered him as a defender or something, then stick him up front during a match. Sure its one less defender in a squad, but they were going to have one less goalie so either way there is a risk, and its easier to have a non defender covering a defenders position than it is to have a striker playing as a goalie.

Dont think they thought it through very well.

Every squad has to have 3 goalies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Heskey's been registered as a striker. That can't be right.

AFAIK, they can register 1 Defender, 2 Midfielders and 17 Strikers if they want but must name 3 goalkeepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

baz2009 wrote: »
    Every squad has to have 3 goalies.

When was that rule brought in?

For our 1st 2 outings in the WC we only had 2 ...
    1990 - Packie Bonner and Gerry Peyton
    1994 - Packie Bonner and Alan Kelly

But in 2002 we had Shay Given, Dean Kiely and Alan Kelly registered

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    When was that rule brought in?

For our 1st 2 outings in the WC we only had 2 ...
    1990 - Packie Bonner and Gerry Peyton
    1994 - Packie Bonner and Alan Kelly

But in 2002 we had Shay Given, Dean Kiely and Alan Kelly registered

Probably in '98 or '02 so!

I think they changed the number of players in a squad that time, so that probably affected it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Even when you could only take 22 it was still the done thing was to take 3x GK. Ireland taking 2x was quite irregular (not many of the other teams only took 2x).

Then again this was typical lof the Charlton squad selection method. He was established a very small/tight squad early on and practically nobody else got a look-in unless a player retired or the new player looked like the could certainly offer something extra. From the start Charlton and more or less picked Bonner/Peyton religiously for nearly six years on the trot without anyone getting a look-in. Between 1986-1992 I think Kelham O'Hanlon was the only goalie to get a cap for Ireland other than these two. Even when Alan Kelly got a look-in it was only because Peyton had retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Never ever understood this rule. Why would you bring 3 keepers anyways? I always thought it was the manager's selecting three keepers, didn't realise it was a rule!

What need is three keepers? Unless two were to get injured in the same match it's pointless having 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

SantryRed wrote: »
    Never ever understood this rule. Why would you bring 3 keepers anyways? I always thought it was the manager's selecting three keepers, didn't realise it was a rule!

What need is three keepers? Unless two were to get injured in the same match it's pointless having 3.

Well true it should be up to the managers to bring 2 or 3 keepers...but we have seen some cases where both first choice and backup keepers get injured in quick succession. I recall John O' Shea having to go in goal for United a few years back (and he saved from Robbie Keane :D). I suppose its just a case of FIFA covering their asses if any country were to complain about both keepers getting crocked during the finals. I think there was a case that prompted the move to a squad of 23, didnt some country ask for an extra keeper recently? Could be WC06 or Euro 04, cant remember for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Germany drafted in a keeper last wc didn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I recall David James being played as a striker by Man City for the final minutes of a match while another Keeper kept goal....

IF you want to lump it upfield to a big guy why not stick your keeper upfield?

I think this is pretty dumb by FIFA - whats wrong with just saying you get 23 players - pick who you want? The risk is there for the managers to assess surely...

All that said - hilarious stuff by the North Koreans!

Edit - heres the link to the david james carry-on http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2005/may/25/theknowledge.sport

greendom wrote: »
    Did Ireland not register Niall Quinn as 3rd goalie for an international tournament once ? Heard it on 5-live so no guarantee I suppose
    Possibly, rings a vague bell. He definitely played keeper against Derby County when Tony Coton was sent off for fouling Dean Saunders in the box. Saved the penalty too. Early 90s.

Obviously John O'Shea also did the business a few years back against Spurs. Robbie Keane remembers that day well I suspect, O'Shea saved a late shot from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

You might also want to look up "very good" in the dictionary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

SantryRed wrote: »

Well, consider the situation where one goalkeeper gets injured in a game or training and will miss the rest of the tournament. Once the first game is played, injury replacements to the squad are not allowed. For their remaining games, the only goalkeeper is the man on the pitch, noone on the subs bench. As well as the possibility the team could then end up with a second injury, there is also the possibility the opposition will simply go in hard on the keeper at every corner and free kick, any sort of injury and you're playing a team with no professional goalkeeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

I know nothing about the NK team except they are all called Kim. Is this guy their no 1 striker or their no 5 striker? I've tried finding this out on the web but funnily enough it's hard to find anything out about North Korea!

Hilarious though. If this is what these guys are bringing to the WC then welcome to the party!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

So what if you're 1-0 down in the 90th minute and you have a corner, and the keeper comes up and scores? Is that still allowed?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    So what if you're 1-0 down in the 90th minute and you have a corner, and the keeper comes up and scores? Is that still allowed?
    I'd assume so. After all, they're running the risk of the ref keeping the clock going for a few extra seconds and thereby potentially screwing themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The_B_Man wrote: »
    He's still the goalkeeper. He can spend the entire game in the opponent's half, he's still designated as the only player who can use his hands in his penalty box. FIFA are just saying you can't change that designation.

It is a bit stupid by FIFA though. If a manager wants to risk it with two goalkeepers, he should be allowed to. If he wants to risk it with one, he should be allowed to. There's no reason why he shouldn't, he just shouldn't be allowed to call up any replacements if they do get injured

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm pretty sure Cameroon brough FOUR goalkeepers to Italia 90. From memory - N'kono, Songo, So'o and... damn, mind's a blank.

edit: Bell, of course, their first choice who was replaced by Nkono. Seems So'o never made it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

does this mean you cant replace a keeper with an outfield player?

im pretty sure Niall Quinn did this at some stage, and might have saved a penalty, but my mind is a blank?

Also, I assume that this means that there is a rule saying that you can only play one keeper at a time (thats a rule i never thought i would think about)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I'm pretty sure Cameroon brough FOUR goalkeepers to Italia 90.
    Yeah and they had a combined age of about 200! :D According to my sticker album at the time :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I'm pretty sure Cameroon brough FOUR goalkeepers to Italia 90. From memory - N'kono, Songo, So'o and... damn, mind's a blank.

edit: Bell, of course, their first choice who was replaced by Nkono. Seems So'o never made it there.

Joseph Antione Bell was Camaroons #1 for WC 1990 but was dropped from the starting team just before the opening game after an interview in a French paper where he critised the teams preparation for the finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Joseph Antione Bell was Camaroons #1 for WC 1990 but was dropped from the starting team just before the opening game after an interview in a French paper where he critised the teams preparation for the finals.
    he was not sent home he quit!

:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement