Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1901 census online

Options
  • 03-06-2010 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭

apologies of this has already been posted, the 1901 census is now available online following the success of the 1911 one. im sure some of you will be interested in this :)

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Good to know, I've been waiting for this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

can't wait to see this tomorrow when i get home-see if i can shed any light on my great grandfather's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

1901 Census: Awesome.

Times New Roman: Ew. My eyes are vomiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Just found my grandfather. 6 months old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Remember to use the old street names! The system has never heard of "Pearse Street" in Dublin, for example (Great Brunswick Street).

• Advertisement

Also, have a look at what Offaly and Laois were called back in those days. Queens county and Kings county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Just found a guy with my ridiculously rare surname (so rare everyone with it is somehow related to me) at my school.

Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Building your own time machine would be faster as the site is crawling.
    Knowledge economy, blah, blah.

mikom wrote: »
    Building your own time machine would be faster as the site is crawling.
    Knowledge economy, blah, blah.

Loads very fast for me. Must be your internets or your spywares and viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

My great grand parents had a servant. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

deisedevil wrote: »
    Loads very fast for me. Must be your internets or your spywares and viruses.

Faster now........ they must have heard me.

GaNjaHaN wrote: »

So did mine, but don't get too excited, it can mean a lot of things. Like farm labourer or just anyone at all who called to the farm that day to do a bit of work or anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Soup Sluper:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

There were no people with my name in 1901. One born in 1905.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

banquo wrote: »
    There were no people with my name in 1901. One born in 1905.

id say you would find more with your name in a census for scotland :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

We have a really rare surname. It seems every generation only has one or two boys but a whole basketful of girls so its fascinating to see where they've all gone to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

lol, mine too. Apparently neither of them could read or write however so I don't know how they managed that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Eibhin70

This is amazing!!!! My great grandparents had beautiful handwriting, which obviously must have been drilled into them in those days....not like the chicken scrawl today:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Would be useful if they had more current census up. Could create an accurate family history and family tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

djhunter30 wrote: »
    Would be useful if they had more current census up. Could create an accurate family history and family tree.

Census details of anyone who might still be alive should never be released into the public domain.

As for family trees -theyre all based on the highly dubious assumption that all ones ancestors have been faithful to their spouses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I see your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

This is brilliant!

Go to the advanced search options and you can search people by "Illness". In the sub category you can search "Idiot" or "Lunatic". Theres heaps of them! And some married with perfectly good jobs!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Crraaaaaawwwlllllliiinnnnggggg.....was the webserver built in 1901 by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Service Temporarily Unavailable
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Fcuk you internet provider

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Geraghty James Britain Street, Mountjoy Dublin

lol. nice one grandpa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Crraaaaaawwwlllllliiinnnnggggg.....was the webserver built in 1901 by any chance?

see what you mean . . .could have doubled my post count here on this tab in th time its taking to load on the other one . . .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000059270/

Sorry but this is from 1911 look at the bottom name and details. I nearly collapsed!!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

pipelaser wrote: »
    This is brilliant!

Go to the advanced search options and you can search people by "Illness". In the sub category you can search "Idiot" or "Lunatic". Theres heaps of them! And some married with perfectly good jobs!:D

Plus ca change.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

baldbear wrote: »

Sorry but this is from 1911 look at the bottom name and details. I nearly collapsed!!!!:p

Brilliant, they ignored that he was crossed out http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Inn_s_Quay/Blessington_St_/26988/
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

baldbear wrote: »

Mighty!:pac:
    Is his name Tatters?

Advertisement