Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1901 census online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Eibhin70 wrote: »
    This is amazing!!!! My great grandparents had beautiful handwriting, which obviously must have been drilled into them in those days....not like the chicken scrawl today:D
    Funny cause when i was researching my family years ago I was told that the beautiful handwriting i was looking at was more than likely that of a census officer as many would have been illiterate, so they did much of the writing. That is why so many surnames have been entered incorrectly, i.e. missing the "O", either that or they had taken the soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Residents of a house 24.7 in Clarence Street (South Dock, Dublin)

Dawson Thomas 40

Dawson Rose 40 Female Wife Roman Catholic Lucan, Co Dublin Schol Read and write - Married - - - -
    Dawson Mary 14 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Dublin City Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
    Dawson Julia 13 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Dublin City Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
    Dawson Rose 11 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Dublin City Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
    Dawson Thomas 6 Male Son Roman Catholic

My Grandmother, she died nearly 20 years before i was born

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Ban Ki Moon

Some might find it usefull

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Yeah, it was posted earlier, or maybe the day before.
    When I tried to get on the site, it timed out because of the number of users already on it.

I eventually got on it and it really rocks. My parents are learning about family that they did not even hear about as kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Found my maternal great grand partners and it was the mirror image of my writing and my grand mother's writing (she was born in 1926 so not included in either census)
    SPOOKY!

Also my paternal great grand parent's had 2 servants - a maid and a 'nurse' - wish we had kept that tradition up!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Eibhin70

rebel10 wrote: »
    Funny cause when i was researching my family years ago I was told that the beautiful handwriting i was looking at was more than likely that of a census officer as many would have been illiterate, so they did much of the writing. That is why so many surnames have been entered incorrectly, i.e. missing the "O", either that or they had taken the soup.

Well, I also checked their neighbours in the parish and they all have different handwriting.....so I guess they had a good teacher down the country :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Eibhin70

baldbear wrote: »
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000059270/

Sorry but this is from 1911 look at the bottom name and details. I nearly collapsed!!!!:p

That is feckin' hilarious....I bet that dog was loved....a member of the family:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I doubt anyone knows - but are 'Bealanageary' and 'Ballingeary', County Cork the same place? I'd assume so, but don't know.

Very interesting, though. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

brummytom wrote: »
    I doubt anyone knows - but are 'Bealanageary' and 'Ballingeary', County Cork the same place? I'd assume so, but don't know.

hmm well theres a problem there as either could be small townlands or a different way of spelling the one placename as is very common throughout rural ireland. there is certainly a bealanageary in macroom, and ballingeary is a part of the gaeltacht. id imagine they are 2 different places

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    My great grand parents had a servant. :)

My great great grand father was a stone mason and made his cousin be his servant!

aDeener wrote: »
    id say you would find more with your name in a census for scotland :pac:

naw the surname was likely translated. its more than likely irish.

baldbear wrote: »
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000059270/

Sorry but this is from 1911 look at the bottom name and details. I nearly collapsed!!!!:p

funny that the surname is cullen aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

brummytom wrote: »

Yep, same place. The english spelling of some nameplaces change down the years.

You can see the historic map of the place here: http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,514926,567154,6

Eibhin70 wrote: »
    That is feckin' hilarious....I bet that dog was loved....a member of the family:)

Ah, that's so funny.
    But did you notice under the Read/Write question, the respondent put 'Cannot Read', so the question is:
    Can the dog write?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Kivaro wrote: »
    Ah, that's so funny.
    But did you notice under the Read/Write question, the respondent put 'Cannot Read', so the question is:
    Can the dog write?

Interestingly the dog appears to have been an atheist

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭skepticalone

some excellent photos on there tho ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Interestingly the dog appears to have been an atheist

So he went to Doggy Hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

You mean Not all dogs go to heaven ???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As I suspected, my ancestors arrived on a spaceship between 1901 and 1911, because there was no sign of them before.:(

It's gratifying to know that there were 1464 idiots in Ireland in 1901, and only 1116 in 1911. Some of them must have emigrated to Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Found a family of circus performers, child labour ftw!
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Limerick/Clarina/Glascurram/624366/

Crosáidí wrote: »
    So he went to Doggy Hell

He was atheist, so didn't believe in Hell.

I guess he must have lived it up while on planet ............. riding all round him (givin' no respect to the bitches), pissin' in the farmer's wellies, crappin' in the cabbage patch etc.
    While the dogs who were religious spent their lives pretending to be good, but still doing the stuff that Rover (above) did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

My family had 2 farm servants.

One of whom is cruelly labelled as an imbecile.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    As I suspected, my ancestors arrived on a spaceship between 1901 and 1911, because there was no sign of them before.:(

Mine too we are not in the 1901 census but in the 1911

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

ejmaztec wrote: »

It's gratifying to know that there were 1464 idiots in Ireland in 1901, and only 1116 in 1911. Some of them must have emigrated to Australia.

The earlier censuses (censii?) were just less comprehensive. Local records would be a better place to search.

just found mine they had the name spelt wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The earlier censuses (censii?) were just less comprehensive. Local records would be a better place to search.

I think the holders of the records in Kerry aren't playing the game properly i.e. they're a bunch of robbers if you need info from them, and they aren't in any particular hurry to put all of their records online, unlike most of the 32 counties.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Timepiece

Has any one noticed inconsistencies in the reported ages of Parents between the 1901 and 1911 census. I have found that reported ages have been increased by as much as six years beyond that you would expect..

40 in 1901 and 56 in 1911..

My first guess was some attempt to secure a pension a few years earlier, but I don't think the old age pension was paid until some years later.. Any ideas?
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I like how in 1901, my great grandad was listed as Head of the family but by 1911, his mother in law was! She must have been a tough aul nut!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Timepiece wrote: »
    Has any one noticed inconsistencies in the reported ages of Parents between the 1901 and 1911 census. I have found that reported ages have been increased by as much as six years beyond that you would expect..

40 in 1901 and 56 in 1911..

My first guess was some attempt to secure a pension a few years earlier, but I don't think the old age pension was paid until some years later.. Any ideas?
    :confused:

It was fairly/somewhat normal for people to not really keep track of age and birthdays in the same way we do now. There was a thread in the genealogy forum about it recently. The person mentioned above wasn't trying to scam a pension because you didn't qualify until you were 70.

Advertisement