Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

returning a river island ring

Options
  • 03-06-2010 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

I bought a ring in river island about two weeks ago and the first time I wore it it broke. It obviously wasnt good quality. If I go back in with the receipt would I be entitled to my money back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Yes. And if they say oh we have a such and such number of days return policy, you are by law entitled to have something that works for a reasonable amount of time. RI is pricey, that thing should last longer than 2 weeks. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yes. And if they say oh we have a such and such number of days return policy, you are by law entitled to have something that works for a reasonable amount of time. RI is pricey, that thing should last longer than 2 weeks. :)
    Not strictly true. You are entitled to repair, replace or refund, and the ring must not have been misused.* You decide between you, neither party has priority on deciding. But in your case hopefully the refund is the likeliest option.

*I realise you havent misused it, but I once had someone try to get a refund on a ring that had been driven over. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

River Island will not refund jewellery. Explain the sitatution nicely and that it is in fact faulty and you should at least get a credit note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

River Island will not refund jewellery. Explain the sitatution nicely and that it is in fact faulty and you should at least get a credit note.

You should not accept a credit note. It's either repair, replacement or refund and the refund has to be money, not a credit note.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They probably say that they don't refund jewellery for hygiene reasons - which is fine if people are just returning an item.

However, here we have a clear case of a defective item (assuming that you didn't damage it). Therefore, you are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. If the refund option is selected, then it has to be cash not a credit note.

However, if you like River Island and will buy there again, then you may actually be happy with a credit note. Just be aware that you don't actually have to accept one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

dudara wrote: »
    However, if you like River Island and will buy there again, then you may actually be happy with a credit note.

Even if i would like a shop an am sure that I will buy there again in the future, I would never accept a credit note. You never know what will happen in the future, which prevents you from going back and not using the credit note, or the shop could close down. With cash, you always have the choice to go back, but you don't have to.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not accepting returns on hygiene reasons does not affect your statutory rights.

If you just didn't like it, or it didn't fit then it would be at the discretion of the store.

As it is faulty, then it's repair, refund, or replace. Store gets to choose I believe. You don't have to accept a credit note.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Shellygoose

If the item is faulty and you are seeking repair, replacement or refund, and you are not happy with what the store is offering then you can argue it further.....its not always the stores decision on which of the 3 R's they should give...its something that is open for discussion between both parties

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'd say they will give a refund if it's clearly faulty. My point was they will initially point out they don't do refunds on jewellery. River Island is not the type of shop that's on it's last legs and most people who shop there would be happy with a credit note.

Advertisement