Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda speed check this morning?

Options
  • 03-06-2010 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if you saw the garda car checking for speed this morning on Farankelly Rd road just before the roundabout. It suddenly becomes 50kph there dropping from 80kph :(

I defo wasn't doing over 80 but was more than likely doing over 50kph. Damn sun was shining in my eyes too so couldn't see a thing until last minute.

Does anyone know what is the actual speed limit they check for at this part?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

The sign for the 50kph was actually after where they had the camera out, so im assuming it was still 80......if im wrong then its trouble time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

If you where speeding they would have pulled you on the spot.

AFAIK you will only get a letter in the post from the vans and fixed cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

I was pulled in by an unmarked car there a few weeks ago when i was doing nearly 90. I think most of them appreciate that it is a road built for faster speeds and are quite lenient - the guard only gave me a ticking off :)! That said, they have been on that road a lot recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Damo9090 wrote: »
    If you where speeding they would have pulled you on the spot.

AFAIK you will only get a letter in the post from the vans and fixed cameras.

They wouldn't have to pull someone on the spot, they do have portable machines that record reg plates of speeding cars, depends what equipment they were using.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

It may not have been a speed check. We heard that NTMK post office (rumour; can anyone confirm?) was robbed so there were a few garda out maybe looking for the naughty fellas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Very serious accident right now at Jackie Skelleys roundabout. Motorbike mashed to the ground, two cars also there that look to be involved. Looks like motorcyclist is being transferred onto a stretcher taking all precautions with neck braces etc.

Please God everybody is ok.

I know wrong thread possibly but didn't want to start another thread. Same stretch of road so I hope it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

darsar wrote: »
    Very serious accident right now at Jackie Skelleys roundabout. Motorbike mashed to the ground, two cars also there that look to be involved. Looks like motorcyclist is being transferred onto a stretcher taking all precautions with neck braces etc.

Please God everybody is ok.

I know wrong thread possibly but didn't want to start another thread. Same stretch of road so I hope it's ok.

I saw that as well. He was sitting up when i passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

Just stick to speed limit and you need not worry about speed checks. Simple.

A lady was moaning to me about getting done the other day. I got done for speeding, she said. I was only doing 80 in a 60 limit.

Science, rocket...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Tomato wrote: »
    Just stick to speed limit and you need not worry about speed checks. Simple.
    ciaran67 wrote: »
    A lady was moaning to me about getting done the other day. I got done for speeding, she said. I was only doing 80 in a 60 limit.

Science, rocket...

Not sure why people have to post the "holier than though" posts. People go over the limit, get over it. I mean, if you have ever driven a car, you will understand that you can go over the limit accidently, so try be less judgemental maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

I got stopped there recently and was told by the Guard that locals had specifically asked for them to put speed traps on there.

Wonder who that was.

People go over the limit, get over it.

You've just said in a roundabout way what i said :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

"Not sure why people have to post the "holier than though" posts. People go over the limit, get over it. I mean, if you have ever driven a car, you will understand that you can go over the limit accidently, so try be less judgemental maybe?"

Fabulous - would these folks be pupils of the same School of Irish Gombeenery Driving as that of the speeding driver who killed my father some years ago ? Funnily enough, the driver at the time didn't think he was "much" over the limit either. There IS no room for error when it comes to speeding - I just couldn't believe the comment above when I read it, "people go over the limit, get over it" ????? Eh no, people never get fully over it, and if thats the attitude thats still prevailing, well then there will be many more people out there who will be left to "get over it"

I suggest the next time you see yourself "accidently" going over the limit, spare a thought for the folks left behind to pick up the pieces after a speeding moran has done his/her worst - judgemental ?? hell yes

Sorry for the rant mods, but if it saves even ONE life from being taken by such a moronic attitude, its worth it

And good on the guards, there can never be ENOUGH speed traps as far as I'm concerned - God save us all from driving dimwits and their appalling road skills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

The issue is not so much speed traps as the ridiculously low speed limits set on some roads.

Farankelly is a classic example of a road grossly over limited.

I totally accept that if I do over the limit I should be punished but when we have a brand new dual carriageway limited to 50kmh with the cops sitting on it, while other roads such as the junction between Donnybrook Fair, Tesco and Grattan Park remains a deathtrap, it doesn't add up.

Advertisement