Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird UPC problem

• 03-06-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭

just got upc today, everythings fine bar one thing i cant get my head around, i setup my latop via the cable so that is the first computer setup on the connection, now this comp has been reporting consistent speed of around 12-14 meg all day even with wireless and download speed is excellent, however my main pc which is a desktop, i have tried the cable and 2 wireless adapters in this and no matter what i do it consistently says i have 5 meg speed and downloads according to that speed, this btw with and without cable

so am wondering what have i done wrong, why are both pc's reporting 2 wildly differing speeds and downloading also at completely different speeds

any help would be appreciated, btw its a cisco router they sent me

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

if you have anti-virus on desktop try disable it and check speeds, Norton is deadly for this, it scans web data and can slow downloads and therefore speedtests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

update on this its no longer showing 2-3 meg connection, speed is steadily climbing this morning so hopefully now sorted so fingers crossed

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

and just to show you the difference, this speedtest run off my laptop

836091076.png

and this run off my pc and remember both are wireless

836093646.png

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kilters

If wireless speed is affected then it could be a number of reasons (channel interference, a/b/g/n card differences etc).

Cable both up direct to modem and try a speed test. This should narrow down your search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Try different servers on SpeedTest as well, the first one I tried was reporting around 5Mb/s download as well (I'm on 15Mb/s too).

• Advertisement
Advertisement