Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lansdowne Road DART station - secret entrance/exit for AIB staff?

Options
  • 03-06-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

I was coming home from a night out this morning and I got an early Dart from Lansdowne Road. While I was waiting for the Dart on the southbound side, I noticed something a bit peculiar: After one northbound Dart left the station, there was a massive line of people walking down the platform to what I thought was just the end of the platform. Not only this but after one Dart going south left the station (I didn't get on because it was an express which didn't stop at Sandycove) another large crowd of people started appearing out of the subway - and again walking down the platform. I was quite perplexed by this, and initially just thought it was a massive tourist group who had missed their stop or something and were just filling up the platform because there were so many of them wanting to go back, but after another minute or two I suddenly noticed that they were all gone!

So I walked right down to the end of the platform I was on, having never actually gone right to the end of the station before, and on the opposite platform there it was: A magnetic gate, a turnstyle, one of those purple boxes for swiping smart cards, and a sign which said "EXIT FOR AIB SECURITY PASS HOLDERS ONLY".

What is this? Where does it go? Has anyone else noticed it before?

I'm assuming it can't possibly lead into the bank itself, opposite the RDS, the station isn't near enough for that and it looks like it just leads into a back lane outside the gardens of a row of houses...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

if u look at google maps you can see it looks to be leading to a little pathway and is probably just a shortcut for the staff!
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=53.332611,-6.227394&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=17&sll=53.331725,-6.227188&sspn=0.003197,0.009645&doflg=ptk&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Noticed it ages ago. Taking a look at the area on Google Earth, yep it leads to a lane to the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Yeah it leads up to the back of the bank. That pathway has been there for years. If you walk down by the river, under the bridge the railway goes over, there's another gate into the gardens too.

I believe that when CIE wanted to extend the platform, some sort of deal was cut that they could do it, if they gave AIB a private gate onto the Bankcentre grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I was coming home from a night out this morning and I got an early Dart from Lansdowne Road. While I was waiting for the Dart on the southbound side, I noticed something a bit peculiar: After one northbound Dart left the station, there was a massive line of people walking down the platform to what I thought was just the end of the platform. Not only this but after one Dart going south left the station (I didn't get on because it was an express which didn't stop at Sandycove) another large crowd of people started appearing out of the subway - and again walking down the platform. I was quite perplexed by this, and initially just thought it was a massive tourist group who had missed their stop or something and were just filling up the platform because there were so many of them wanting to go back, but after another minute or two I suddenly noticed that they were all gone!

So I walked right down to the end of the platform I was on, having never actually gone right to the end of the station before, and on the opposite platform there it was: A magnetic gate, a turnstyle, one of those purple boxes for swiping smart cards, and a sign which said "EXIT FOR AIB SECURITY PASS HOLDERS ONLY".

What is this? Where does it go? Has anyone else noticed it before?

I'm assuming it can't possibly lead into the bank itself, opposite the RDS, the station isn't near enough for that and it looks like it just leads into a back lane outside the gardens of a row of houses...

It goes into the grounds at the back of the bank (You can access the other side of the gate from the Merrion road entrance). It is open to all users during business hours I believe. There is a sign up inside the gate to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

I did a short stint in AIB as a student on work placement in the early 90s, and the pathway is indeed a backway into Bankcentre. I'm a bit confused looking at the map now as where the gate was exactly... as there has been a lot of development since.

/edit: Yes I think it was out onto Beatty Ave, but beyond that my memories are a bit vague!

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

dazberry wrote: »
    I did a short stint in AIB as a student on work placement in the early 90s, and the pathway is indeed a backway into Bankcentre. I'm a bit confused looking at the map now as where the gate was exactly... as there has been a lot of development since.

/edit: Yes I think it was out onto Beatty Ave, but beyond that my memories are a bit vague!

D.

it leads out onto Beatty's avenue alright, just before the arch under the railway bridge. Been there for years

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bertie Bassett

Before the AIB Bankcentre was built there was a cattle market on that site and there used to be a spur off the railway line leading right into the cattle market so that cattle could be easily transported to and from the market by rail. When the Bankcentre was built the tracks were taken up and a footpath was laid.
    Similarly there used to be a spur off the line at Dun Laoghaire leading to the ferry, the tracks have also been taken up but you can still see where the line went under the road on the left shortly after the Dart leaves Dun Laoghaire station going south.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hardly secret. Better view here: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=swnx6hggdyfg&scene=29510790&lvl=2&sty=b

It wasn't a cattle market as such, but a siding so that animals could be delivered to the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

BUMP >.>

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, just wondering if anyone knows can non AIB people use this gate? Just starting a new job in the area tomorrow, using that entrance could save me about 10 or 12 minutes of a walk :)

Also no I'm not that lazy :p just trying to figure out times.

Nope its AIB only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

irishguy wrote: »
    Nope its AIB only.

Aws, oh well, thanks :)

Angelkat7 wrote: »
    using that entrance could save me about 10 or 12 minutes of a walk :)
    How? You do realise there is a pedestrain footpath along the railway that connects to another one along the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 2403Kildare

Hi, just wondering how long the walk is from Lansdowne Road train station to Bankcentre both using and not using the short cut mentioned here. Just trying to get an idea of times. Could be getting bus from Naas to Busaras, walk to Connolly station and get dart from Connolly to Lansdowne Road to be in Bankcentre for approx 8.30am

Less than 5mins the long way

Hi, just wondering how long the walk is from Lansdowne Road train station to Bankcentre both using and not using the short cut mentioned here. Just trying to get an idea of times. Could be getting bus from Naas to Busaras, walk to Connolly station and get dart from Connolly to Lansdowne Road to be in Bankcentre for approx 8.30am

I'd recommend walking up to o'connel bridge and getting a bus to the bankcentre. There is some works going on along that stretch of the dodder the last couple of years and I'm not sure if that entrance is still accessible. The main walkway up to ballsbridge has been closed off.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not familiar with Dublin at all (never had any reason to be). Do you know how long the walk from Lansdowne road train station to O'Connell Bridge is and how long a bus would take from O'Connell Bridge to Bankcentre?

Thanks for the replies. I'm not familiar with Dublin at all (never had any reason to be). Do you know how long the walk from Lansdowne road train station to O'Connell Bridge is and how long a bus would take from O'Connell Bridge to Bankcentre?

Sorry walk from busaras to o'connell bridge, 5 mins. The bus (when it comes) should take about 15mins max at that time of morning.

Thanks Dan. I've been told to get train from Naas (Sallins) to Heuston and get bus from Heuston out to Donnybrook and walk from there. I'm all for the route that gives me the most time in bed haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It is a 3 km walk from O'Connell Bridge to Landsdowne Rd. Depending on how fast you walk, I suppose you could do it in 30 mins or thereabouts. The most direct way would probably be O'Connell Bridge to D'Oilier St to Pearse St to Grand Canal St to Shelbourne Rd to Landsdowne Rd. Factoring in the wait for a bus on O'Connell Bridge & the bus journey itself, I'd imagine the bus trip and the walk to be about the same.

Depending on where you are in the bank centre, it can take 4-12 minutes walk from teh station - 4 minutes only applies if that gate is still open.

I would talk to your contact and see what access is available.

Use www.a-b.ie and put in the exact locations and date and time and it will give you lots of options.

Note that the route 126 departure that leaves Naas at 0700 goes to UCD and you could walk from Donnybrook to Ballsbridge. It may be a to late for an 0830 arrival though. http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1324572943-126.pdf

It's a little bit messy, but route 126 to Heuston, route 25a/b /145 to Trinity College and route 4/7/8 to Ballsbridge seems attractive, but it involves two changes.

If you live nearer Sallins than Naas, the train may be more attractive, in which case at Heuston get route 25a/b /145 to Trinity College and route 4/7/8 to Ballsbridge seems attractive,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

The gate on the Lansdowne Road DART station platform that leads into Bankcentre is still accessible. The flood control works have closed off another gate at the Dodder river walk way that leads into Bankcentre (these works may be done or nearly finished, it's been a while since I've been there).

I've heard of people who commute from Sallins to Ballsbridge and they used to get the train to Heuston, Luas to Abbey Street and then the DART from Tara St. to Lansdowne Road. From personal experience, if you can get to the O'Connell Street area, you would be better off walking to Tara St. and getting the DART instead of the 4 or 7 bus. The DART is quicker, usually more reliable and cheaper (with a LEAP card anyway).

Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jerrybonq

Sorry for diggin this topic out. But maybe you guys know - Since AIB has moved out does this exit still exist? is it being used now by Facebook employees?

Starting job in the area and I just wonder as it would be great shortcut for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I assume it's still there and I also assume if you don't work for FB you can't use it, but I've no personal knowledge.

There is an underpass in the station that gives access to the river walk so it's probably not that much longer to walk via Ballsbridge to wherever you're going.

Advertisement