Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English muffin recipe?

Options
  • 03-06-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi does anyone have a recipe for english muffins without yeast?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭tufterween

Or know what the difference is between an english muffin and a scone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

English muffins are a bread. They're not much like scones except that they go well with tea and you would usually put butter and jam on them. A fluffy Naan bread might be a good description of their texture... or not, it's the best I can come up with at the moment.

I'm not sure if yeast is essential but I think any authentic muffin recipe will use yeast over other leavening agents. The yeasty flavour is definitely something I like about them. Are you intolerant of yeast?

They're cooked like tall pancakes. You make up a wet dough with all the ingredients, leave the yeast work, and then pour the dough into ring moulds on a very heavy flat pan, you flip them to complete cooking. When ready to eat you split the muffin open with a fork (push the tines into the side of the muffin and twist) this creates two pieces with surfaces ideal for soaking up the butter you then spread on it. Some jam is nice too.

Crumpets are cooked similarly but have a dough that's wetter again, and produce a different texture. Whilst I've never seen English Muffins for sale in Ireland I have seen crumpets a few times in some supermarkets.

Here's a recipe (with dried yeast), skip to the 4 minute mark:

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

I tried this once myself hoping to replicate the English Muffins I missed from America. My results were a little underwhelming, but I made a lot of substitutions and didn't have an electric skillet. My favourite brand stateside was Bays which apparently supply McDonalds with the muffins for their Egg McMuffin. I've never checked if they use Bays in Ireland too... I've never been in McD's early enough.

What has stoked your interest in muffins, anyway?

Edit: Delia Smith has a recipe here: http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/english-muffins.html Might be a better one to try first,again it calls for yeast but at least not milk powder and an electric skillet.

... and her subtly different Crumpet recipe: http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/home-made-crumpets.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

A yeast-free crumpet recipe. Getting closer to your spec, link by link :)

Modding this to a drier dough might give you something more muffiny, I don't know. Must try it myself sometime...

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭tufterween

Thanks FTGFOP for all the links and stuff. Will try them out as soon as I get a chance :)

Advertisement