Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub-€1000 Gaming Build

Options
  • 03-06-2010 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭

i m having a headache from comparing prices from komplett/dabs/elara( their fast shipping/can pick up is the main reason i use them). anyone can give me a hand here?a mid range gaming build for a budget of below 1000, including monitor and planning to run 64bit win7.

cpu prefered would be intel i5, graphic card for 24' inch monitor(resolution the higher the better of course:D), mobo preferred gigabyte or any other good mobo - has eSata port would be a plus, reasonable ram enough for running new games at standard setting, harddisk can be 350 or 500gb, casing and psu doesnt need future proof(this machine will probably only get some ram upgrade in future).

any help would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Split off to new thread. Why post an upper-mid-range build request in a thread dedicated to low-end budget builds? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

hah i just replied in the other post said sorry :( didnt really realise this is not really a budget build already. i forget to mention tho basically all i just need is a build to run current games on a 24'' at a standard setting, it doesnt necessary need to use up the 1k budget, the less i spent the better :o

Don't sweat it, the BGB thread is more about making theoretical or tweaking other people's budget builds anyway :)

You could in theory get some decent 1080p gaming performance out of a budget build (need to stick up a revised one soon there anyway :)) but if you're willing to spend more you can get better performance out of a mid-range build. Of course it helps if you can tell us what kind of games you'll be playing; FPS require more stable and fluid framerates than other gametypes, certain FPS/Adventure titles command insane performance requirements (just look at Crysis/Stalker1/2/GTA4/Metro! :o), RTS have high requirements but also a greater tolerance to dips in FPS...

The question is: does this budget cover the 24" monitor and Win7 license or not?

ya,this budget needs to cover the monitor but OS license is not needed. games like SC2, MW2, diablo 3,WOW etc popular ones.(i know SC2 and D3 are not out yet but ya get what i mean:pac:)

i cooked up a shopping list from komplett:
    build1h.png

man the ddr3 ram is surely expensive. would the build be overkill for a 24''??is abit more expensive than i though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

That's a great build. If you think it's a bit too expensive, then yeah 24" is too much. you could chop 50 quid off it with 1680x1050 22" monitor. If you don't want that, go for it :P

• Advertisement

I see you and raise you a shinier GPU! :p

Pix03062010.png

Not a big drop in CPU power, included a cooler so you can OC its legs off, better RAM, nearly twice the GPU power, bigger and better HDD, vastly superior PSU and... okay, I went cheap on the case, but its the M59's little brother and it has cable routing so stop moaning! :p

To be fair, even this budget build plus a cooler, some OCing and a 24" monitor would work fairly well, this is all just to boost the FPS of more demanding titles should you even encounter them.

This build would also do pretty well and save you a good €150 or so:

HWVS030610a.png

that AMD build with 5850 is awesome,i might make one for myself if i have the money lol. but this is actually a build for a friend, and i always find intel build suits general user better so i will stick with the i5 (i think this might to do with them sometimes restart the pc by pull off the plug etc), and i am not gonna tell him anything about OC unless he really needs it :P

pixmania is a great site now!!! :pac: this is the new list:
    build1pixmania.jpg

i down the monitor to 23'' to save me 50e:pac:, but on the other hand i take the 1gb ram version of 5770, does the difference between the 1gb and 512mb version worth the extra 50e? also the cooler master case+500W psu package looks like a nice bargain(i checked some review said is good), would the 500W psu enough for the build? maybe in future an extra 4gb ram will be added to this rig.

edit: oh lol fck me didnt see the Acer's 24'' is actually same price as the LG 23'' gona take the acer one

That's just silly - a fiver more gets you a fully fledged HD5830! If you can't find any 1GB HD5770s for well under €150 then its time to find a better deal on a card or shop elsewhere!

ill take the 512mb 5770 then :D and would the 500W psu enough for the build? i checked psu calculator seems fine to me but just to make sure.

• Advertisement

You misunderstand - for a upper-mid-range rig its 1GB or bust, as the 1GB HD4870/5770 tend to be the weakest graphics cards that don't take a big fps hit moving up to 1080p resolution. You would have been better off with the cheapie HD5830 for €180!

And if there's one thing Coolermaster tend to suck at its PSUs. And that case isn't anywhere near as good as a sub-€40 Thermaltake V3/NZXT Gamma either!

i picked 5770 caused' i was thinking it is good enough for a 24'' :D caused' the friend would like to save abit from the 1k if possible, talk to him again today and he said go for the best for his 1k lol so i decided to go with the 5830. now 100e left to spend on psu+case.

pixbuild2.jpg

i look up NZXT Gamma and thermaltake v3 they look great!!but i think thermaltake v3 is not longer available on pix, so i guess i will go with the nzxt then. any good psu recommend in the ~50e range? i saw Corsair's cx400 for 55e , OCZ's 500W for 60e.

i5-750 went up 15e in 1 day D:damnit!

ordered it last nite ,this is the final list :D plus shipping just about 1k!
    pixmania.jpg

Advertisement