Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting married in the US to an American

Options
  • 03-06-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Righto, I'm getting married next April in California. Herself is American and we're having the wedding over there. We're planning on moving back here after the wedding (and honeymoon) for a few years before we move out to the states (in about 2/3 years time).

I'm reading all sorts of stuff about fiancé visas etc etc and I'm confused as to what i have to apply for (if anything).

My assumption was that I'd just go in on a holiday visa and come home after the wedding. Then once I'm back in Dublin kick off whatever paperwork needs to be dealt with. If I do that can I still go back and forth on 90 day visas or do I have to stay here til the whole thing is processed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

If you are only going over to have the wedding you don't need a fiancee visa. That is if you want to go and get married and then stay in the US. Once married you are eligible for a spouse's visa (CR1), it takes about 6-8 months to obtain. You can travel on the VWP while you have an immigrant visa in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

As mentioned, no need to get a visa to get married in the USA unless you want to stay- plenty of foreigners get married in Vegas every day! As long as you are an Irish citizen, you can get married- and visit later- on the Visa Waiver program.

As you will both be living in Ireland, you can file for a spousal visa to the USA directly via the embassy in Dublin when you are ready. This is easier than doing it via the USA, and takes less time- I got my visa in 6 weeks!

As far as the Irish side of it, I believe she will be able to travel over with you without a visa, and you two can appply and get an "Irish greencard" for her within a couple of weeks at the Aliens Office on the quays in Dublin, but she should check with the Irish embassy/ consulate near her for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

silja wrote: »
    As mentioned, no need to get a visa to get married in the USA unless you want to stay- plenty of foreigners get married in Vegas every day! As long as you are an Irish citizen, you can get married- and visit later- on the Visa Waiver program.

As you will both be living in Ireland, you can file for a spousal visa to the USA directly via the embassy in Dublin when you are ready. This is easier than doing it via the USA, and takes less time- I got my visa in 6 weeks!

As far as the Irish side of it, I believe she will be able to travel over with you without a visa, and you two can appply and get an "Irish greencard" for her within a couple of weeks at the Aliens Office on the quays in Dublin, but she should check with the Irish embassy/ consulate near her for details.

Cool, she's ok as she has a visa for here already so that's not an issue.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Advertisement