Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bugs

Options
  • 03-06-2010 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but maybe someone could help.

Basically, I've been finding these tiny little bugs in my living room. They're only in the living room and they're really small - like 2mm beetles or something. There might only ever be 2 or 3 at a time but they'll get hoovered up and be back the next day. I don't know what they even are so I'm not sure how to treat them.

I guessed they could be coming from the chimney so I got that cleaned out but it hasn't changed anything.

Sorry, I know this mightn't help but I tried to take a photo of one but they're too small.

Does anyone know anything about this kind of thing at all?

Please and thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Are they like these at all?
    silverfish.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

I had an issue with some about a month or two ago, they looked like ladybirds but different colouring. Turned out they were carpet beetles, some thorough hoovering (by thorourgh I mean all the little nooks and crannys you wouldnt necessarily do everyday) for a week or so, any cobwebs, or little cracks in the walls and around the windowsills and all gone!

Adult%20Carpet%20Beetle_big.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I don't recommend hoovering any live bugs. When you store your hoover away they'll just creep out again. If they are slow moving, sweep them up with a brush and pan and dump them in your garden (or someone' else's). If they are fast movers, kill 'em. I once had an invasion of ants in the house and I used boiling hot water on them to kill them, and I dusted around the area and nooks and crannies with a powder specially for the job which I got at the garden centre. Take a photo if you can, you might get more advice once they can be identified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

Sorry I forgot to say empty out your hoover after, tie the bag up and bin it. Certain types of bugs hoovering is the best way to get rid of them cos you'll suck up the larvae and eggs aswell but dont forget to empty the hoover soon as you're done! Other types such as ants or silverfish need to be treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭seventyeight

Thanks all, I'll try again to get some photos this weekend.

I've been hoovering the room every night and then emptying it straight away. I've started using an anti-bacterial spray to hopefully kill any traces of them.

I'm stumped.

• Advertisement
Advertisement