Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you give 'The Nod'?

• 03-06-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You're from Cork, right?

You know that in Dublin "the nod" is used as an invitation for cottaging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Lumen wrote: »
    You're from Cork, right?

You know that in Dublin "the nod" is used as an invitation for cottaging?

Excuse my ignorance (or is it innocence?) but what's cottaging?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

chakattack wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance (or is it innocence?) but what's cottaging?

It's kind of a gay wink or look and then the two fellas head off for a quickie. I always laugh when I hear the term "cottage industry".

Yes I really am that childish.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Yeah, down here in the sticks you're supposed to give the nod or a wave. I actually think it's rude not to, unless of course the other person is pegging it or if I'm wearing black socks.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Scien wrote: »
    If that's the case then I must be one handsome devil, or else there are a lot of promiscuous homosexual cyclists cycling the opposite routes to me. :pac:

Why can't it be both ;)

I've given the finger salute the last few guys I've passed, but I'm normally hanging on for dear life as my bike hurtles itself over potholes and large road surface 'issues'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I always do...I notice up near Dublin people often ignore it and I feel like a prat, especially if there's a car behind me or him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I have only recently taken to the Wicklow hills and I have been generally heading out early in the morning. Probably due to my own sense of achievement of getting up there and the fact that there are so few people around, I have been nodding towards passing cyclists, imagining some kind of fellowship.

The responses have been mixed. As a rule of thumb, the more kitted out the noddee, the less likely he* is to nod back. Maybe I'm just acting like a happy tool by nodding but I still think it's pretty ignorant not to acknowledge.

*I say "he" because lady cyclists have been unfailingly polite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

The nod is usually reciprocated and I like that there's a cycling camaraderie. I wouldn't be too put out if it's ignored by the other party. I've noticed that it's always going to be ignored if I'm on a MTB (extremely rarely) and the other cyclist is on a road bike though MTBers will usually acknowledge the nod when I'm on my road bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

It's pretty ignorant not to acknowledge a nod/wave when pottering about. I'll only ignore/not notice if I'm in the middle of intervals or the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Always do, get a response 50% of the time. Normally just sort of flick the right hand up off the bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Depends on what they're wearing, if they're wearing all the cycling gear i'll always wave.

Whereas if they're wearing say a track suit or football shorts over cycling shorts type of thing i'll let them wave first if they so chose, if i get a wave i'll always wave back.

Still laughing at the cottaging thing, thanks Lumen ;)

P.S. that wink isn't an invitation for anything !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Always,

Iv noticed that drivers who cycle always wave and smile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

I always wave or nod. But whats the protocol for overtaking, particularly someone on a road bike (a rarity, admittedly!)? Is a How's it going sufficient?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

You turn around as you pass them and give the The Look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

ROK ON wrote: »
    You turn around as you pass them and give the The Look.

blue-steel.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pete Bondurant

I always wave, or nod if I'm struggling, so mostly nod.

The less likely i think an oncoming cyclist is going to respond, the more i put into the gesture, from a simple Mayo style "lift a finger off the bar" to a full on Finger Bang. I let the road decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

I mostly give a 'Bonjour', at worst a nod. Everyone must think I'm French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Peetrik wrote: »
    Always,

Iv noticed that drivers who cycle always wave and smile

I've notice the same about cyclists who drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I always wave or nod. But whats the protocol for overtaking, particularly someone on a road bike (a rarity, admittedly!)? Is a How's it going sufficient?

A slap on the ass. Gotta start the race somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah, down here in the sticks you're supposed to give the nod or a wave. I actually think it's rude not to, unless of course the other person is pegging it or if I'm wearing black socks.

Always give a slight wave to a cyclist when I'm out cycling, running and even driving, Also ensure to give them plenty of space also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

I give the "nod" and 60% of the time it's recipicated all of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I always give thumbup or fingers raised from handlebar acknowledgement to other cyclists. About 30% of the time it's not reciprocated (usually MBers, noobs). I also give runners the nod. At the weekend I was cycling around Strangford Lough and received a rather flamboyant wave from a chap in one of the local (rival :D) clubs which will now go into my repertoire.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Zorba wrote: »
    Depends on what they're wearing, if they're wearing all the cycling gear i'll always wave.

Whereas if they're wearing say a track suit or football shorts over cycling shorts type of thing i'll let them wave first if they so chose, if i get a wave i'll always wave back.

I'm the same, find that most people in all the cycling gear acknowledge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I was struggling up a steep stretch from Powerscourt waterfall towards Glencree last Sunday week in the heat. A very pretty girl standing up through a car sunroof turned back after she passed and gave me a big wave and a smile. Really lifted my spirits and I shot up after that!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Give more of a thumbs/hands up than a nod. But I have found in general down here than the men are a tad more ignorant that the ladies.
    I wudn't be wearing a "real" cycling top, only one of the aldi ones but maybe they dont consider me to be the real deal! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Really lifted my spirits and I shot up after that!

Must have made the rest of your cycling awkward. Cold spoon FTW.

I start off waving, then people don't wave back, so I stop waving...it's a vicious circle. I also don't wave if I'm giving it socks or really concentrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Saxobank

Was on the Enniskerry road yesterday and i must have raised hand/gave the nod or said ''howaya'' to every cyclist i came across.. only about 40% acknowleged. felt like a right tool..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Fingerbang FTW

110310ispa_0508b_600.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I nod/wave/say hello from the top of the horse. If someone is daft enough to overtake on the wrong side or to come too close they are politely called names

Anyone ever get weird responses from builders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

going up Bray Head a while back, I overtook some scobie spinning furiously on a full-sus mountainbike. I gave him a nod, his response - "ya c**t!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Heading up stocking lane with Diarmuid a while back, nearly gave some poor older guy a heart attack as I said "evening" while passing. Sometimes a nod or a wave is the best thing to do.

Either that or hit the jets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Killianaire

el tonto wrote: »
    Fingerbang FTW

110310ispa_0508b_600.jpg

Fingerbang FTW, indeed.

I nod/wave/say hello from the top of the horse. If someone is daft enough to overtake on the wrong side or to come too close they are politely called names

There's another thing people on horses will always say hello, very friendly people.

Dunno about builders but teenage girls seems to have a thing for men in lycra :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Dunno about builders but teenage girls seems to have a thing for men in lycra :D

If only!

• Advertisement

If only!

LOL u should move down here to the sticks the young ones are all gagging for any man in tight lycra ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I always say hello to my fellow road men.
    And most of them will say hello back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

LOL u should move down here to the sticks the young ones are all giggling at any man in tight lycra ;)
    FYP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

When passing other cyclists always give the look (no PEDs by the way)
    armstronglook.jpg

By the way does Contador's "pistolero" gesture make anybody else cringe? (apart from Lance of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

this is my type of gesture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 ronan0

Yep. For sure. (as a mountainbiker). On a side note, when I used drive a bmw motor bike, there was great nodding going on. On the Ducati later, much less (probably because concentrating more, though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

Absolutely, though mostly do the raised finger/hand thing.

On the way home last night, there was a very pink stretch limo passing me filled with a hen party, who very kindly offered me some refreshment, in the form of Miller. I didn't accept, but appreciated it none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Always acknowledge cyclists and generally the majority will respond, though the tri boys seem either reluctant to move any part of their body or are in a world of their own.

Generally always get a warm salute from the tractor drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭thepassanger

hah cottaging, im gona burst out laughing the next time a cyclist nods at me, and probly fall off my bike, maybe that will invite the attention of the cottaging cyclist! uh ohh.
    i always give the nod. especially in the early morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Most definitely a nod, an hello or at the very least a raised finger or a wave.

Very friendly bunch around yesterday afternoon on the way from Bray to Laragh..At least an 85% acknowledgement..Even 4 lads in high speed pursuit down Callary to Kilmac.

Whatever about the cottage industry, I will really fall off my bike the next time cottage cheese is mentioned!!:eek:

I must have missed Father's Day or something..A lot of fancy new threads to be seen on the roads yesterday...Bianchi retro tops, Giro jerseys and Castelli gear aplenty...No recession on 'round here!!

Keep it safe out there, particularly tomorrow-there will be more lunatics in cars than normal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

I got the nod from an oncoming motorist on a narrow road between Brittas and the N7 when I was out for a cycle this week. I can't remember which of us initiated it but it felt like the right thing at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Ant wrote: »
    I got the nod from an oncoming motorist on a narrow road between Brittas and the N7 when I was out for a cycle this week. I can't remember which of us initiated it but it felt like the right thing at the time.

His other car is probably a bike

Advertisement