Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless working but not on my laptop

Options
  • 03-06-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I set up a new internet connection yesterday and had to get a router to set up the wireless myself.
    I'm connected with Cox Preferred (USA) and bought the Netgear Wireless N-300 Router. I'm using a HP G6000 laptop.

I set up the wireless as advised. There is a signal being sent out and my boyfriend can connect to the network on his computer so I know it's set up right. On my laptop I can only connect with the cable plugged in. When I try to get a wireless signal it keeps telling my that it's a 'local only' connection. I have being using wireless on this laptop for about 3 years. I can even connect to a neighbours wireless account right now.

I think I've done everything I can from switching everything off and on, trying to manually and automatically get IP addresses, repair the signal etc.
    I only know a certain amount about this and I can't find my problem through a search. I know the wireless adapter is working as I can connect to another network. I know the modem is working as I'm connected right now, and I know the wireless is working as my boyfriend can connect. I'm ready to through my laptop out the window!

Right now in the activity section, I have 911 bytes sent but none received. When I ping the address I get all four packets sent and received. I can post the results if someone needs them.

Thanks, hope someone can help me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

About the only thing I can suggest is making sure that the driver for your wireless card is as up to date as possible, windows doesn't always ship with the newest version and the manufacturer may have a version to fix this exact problem. Similarly make sure your router has the newest firmware.

If none of that helps, you could try adjusting the security settings, you didn't post what type of security you have. But its possible that your laptop doesn't properly support AES or WPA2 and it might be worth looking into.

I'm a little bit confused with what you said about pinging the address, if you are able to ping the router from your laptop then you must have an ip address in which case the fact that no packets are received makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Are your sure the HP G6000 supports Wireless-N and not just Wireless-G ?

A quick google of "HP G6000 wireless" shows up a lot of issues regarding the built in Nic just stopping working.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Thanks for the replies.
    I got it working on my laptop somehow yesterday. Not sure what I did.

However, my boyfriend can no longer connect on his laptop. He was connected perfectly yesterday and now that I am connected he can't. He can see the network and he types in the WPA2 code but it won't connect.
    It seems our router or modem is only letting one laptop connect at a time. Is there something in the way I set up the wireless that would cause this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

There are ways, but they wouldn't happen unless you specifically set out to do them. If you changed the wireless security settings then its possible that your bf is trying to connect using the old settings. Either completely delete the old network and re-add it to his laptop, or check the security settings with a fine tooth comb to make sure they match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

had this exact problem with a hp g70 and updated the driver through the hp website and bam, working.

by any chance was your wireless adapter was an atheros ar5007?

• Advertisement
Advertisement