Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC & Usenet

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

moonboy52 wrote: »
    For now i think i will go with the notion that UPC's connection to Highwinds is the issue as cisk says.

Supercell, your latency is not that great.

I was downloading something when I ran that trace route.
    I use another provider now that is actually saving me a packet and still works fine.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Supercell wrote: »
    I was downloading something when I ran that trace route.
    I use another provider now that is actually saving me a packet and still works fine.

Who is it? Astraweb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Who is it? Astraweb?

Yep they have a great PAYG type package for 25 dollars , much better than the monthly sub i was using on Newshosting.
    I'm not a heavy downloader so the PAYG package will probably last me at least six months.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

That $19.99 GigaNews deal is gone i think :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

I contacted support at my provider (usenetserver.com) and they are aware of a problem in the EU. I provided a traceroute and directed them to this thread.

They said "could be the network between that aorta.net and highwinds, we're trying to track it down."

They've got people looking into it and are aware of the problem. I'm reluctant to change from the package I'm on at the moment ($39 for 3 months unlimited with SSL).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I contacted support at my provider (usenetserver.com) and they are aware of a problem in the EU. I provided a traceroute and directed them to this thread.

They said "could be the network between that aorta.net and highwinds, we're trying to track it down."

They've got people looking into it and are aware of the problem. I'm reluctant to change from the package I'm on at the moment ($39 for 3 months unlimited with SSL).

So does that conclusively rule out UPC throttling? Im planning to change from VF to UPC but throttling usenet would be a show stopper for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

I'm now getting an average 27 to 29 MB/sec on usenet using usenetserver.com

The issue has obviously been fixed.

Perhaps it'll put to bed any conspiracy theories on UPC throttling or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kristok 2

ive had two months of astraweb only going about 1mb going to cancel and try another provider next mont but im guessing upc are the reason its not working. If it is upc ill be changing packages no use having 30mb line and the only thing i can get 30mb speeds out of dosnt work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

On Astraweb too, with UPC 30 Mb package. Getting 2.5 MB/s regularly with a wireless connection. So no complaints here.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

kristok 2 wrote: »
    but im guessing upc are the reason its not working.

Pretty big guess, if you think it's worth changing ISP's over. Seems the issue is resolved for most that were affected?

Im on GigaNews, no problems at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement