Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Point and Shoot for Travel

• 03-06-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Ok guys I know you probably see loads of these threads but I need some advice on what point and shoot camera to buy, I currently own an Olympus e420 DSLR and use it as my main camera and I love it but this Summer I'm going backpacking across Europe and have no room for it and also I'd be a bit wary of taking it with me. So I'm looking for a good point and shoot to take some holiday snaps, it needs to be durable and relatively cheap, the most I'm willing to spend is €150. Any suggestions ? I'd also be willing to buy second hand if it was worthwhile, any recommendations on that ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

The e420 is tiny. If you want to travel light, buy something like the Olympus 25mm f/2.8 pancake lens for it. Put both the camera and lens on your travel insurance and use them on your travels, like they were meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

I usually bring it with me everywhere but to be honest I'd be afraid to bring it with me on this holiday, we'll be staying in hostels every night and I'd be worried about leaving it there, I just want the peace of mind of having a cheap point and shoot that if anything happens to it its not the end of the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I usually bring it with me everywhere but to be honest I'd be afraid to bring it with me on this holiday, we'll be staying in hostels every night and I'd be worried about leaving it there, I just want the peace of mind of having a cheap point and shoot that if anything happens to it its not the end of the world

That's why I said you should get it insured against loss or theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

I can see where you're coming from with it not being practical, maybe a Panasonic Lumix of some sort I hear they're quite good and should be within your price range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I have a Nikon Coolpix and it's pretty sweet. Was fairly cheap too, don't remember it being much more than the 150 you're lookin at and it's a great little camera. I've never been dissatisfied with the presets, they can be a little odd but once you know which one does what, you're sorted.

Took this with it - original was about twice the size and this is un-processed:
    4D22D29AC5A24E2EAEA3E03BE1F96355.jpg

Having said all that - I like the form factor of those tiny little canon ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

I would consider this OLYMPUS MJU550WP

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PabD

The Canon Powershot A480 is only €66 in Argos right now, if I was in your position I think I would go for that and install the software that will allow you to shoot in raw. Might be worth a look. There was a thread in Bargain Alerts a few days ago on it.

The camera is priced at €71 but they give €5 back for every €50 you spend.

At that price if something happened to it I wouldn’t be worrying about it.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5592056/Trail/searchtext>CANON+A480.htm

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2370583/art/canon/powershot-a480-black.html

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_hack_your_canon_powershot_digital_camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Get one of the Sony P&S with the sweep panorama mode on it, super little cameras and the pano mode is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, is there any particular model you would recommend Borderfox ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, is there any particular model you would recommend Borderfox ?

The Hx5v seems to be the best Sony p&s

the canon a480 will capture raw if you put chdk on the sd card

• Advertisement
Advertisement