Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before I start

Options
  • 03-06-2010 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

My Youngs starter kit arrived today. I'm so excited! But before i start i want to do a bit more homework! Have you guys got any tips before i start?

I have a cooper larger kit and a ginger beer kit, which would be easier to start with?

And where is the best place for my fermentar?

I'm looking forward to starting a brew and keeping you guys informed!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I put my fermenter in a spare room, and covered it with a duvet for my first ever batch, which turned out great.

For my second batch, which I started two weeks ago, I just kept it in the kitchen at night, and stuck it out in the garden into the sun every day, I've just bottled it, which will be in a thread in a few minutes.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Sonovagun wrote: »

I'm looking forward to starting a brew and keeping you guys informed!

Good luck. Maybe you should make a blog of all your brewing attempts, it would be quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Des wrote: »
    and stuck it out in the garden into the sun every day,
    Not really advisable tbh. Temperatures will get too high if left outside in the current heat. Too high a temp. when fermenting can creates funky flavours, too cold a temp. and the yeast just goes dormant until the temp. rises again. Room temperature in a standard Irish home is fine for homebrewing.

Plus it's best not to keep moving the fermenter around more than it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You also want as little light getting in to the beer as possible and direct sunlight is a bad idea.

Just keep it in a spare room or closet at room temp.

My spare room is perfect as it is at the side of the house so avoids direct sunlight which means it does not overheat in the summer. I keep a thermostat controlled heater in there to keep the room at 18c.

Advertisement