Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has anyone got eircom NGB and is it any good??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

I'd be much happier if they just gave me their old 24mb connection instead of this NGB rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I got the letter at the late May, saying i'd be upgraded to their "8Mb NGB Regular product". I still haven't been upgraded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

Looking at the eircom map, Cork is not due until Sept-Dec and as it has taken 7 months to get to Portlaoise I would not be holding my breath!!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jack888

Its ****e, ever since I got it the internet cuts off once every few minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

I think its great ,

891587417.png

Im on the premium package and Ive had no problems since I got it . Internet never slows down and can watch full HD vids on ytube without buffering stopping me from watching them.

• Advertisement

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    Looking at the eircom map, Cork is not due until Sept-Dec and as it has taken 7 months to get to Portlaoise I would not be holding my breath!!

Crappy Cutns. At least the download limit won't be as enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭stopusingoil

Do NOT sign up for Eircom!!!!

Firstly, they blocked all their customers from PirateBay. What kind of ISP tries to police it's own customers???

Secondly, they bring their own customers to court for downloading music/movies and fine them for 1,000's of Euro.

Thirdly, I am with them and I get disconnected about 10 times a day, which is really frustrating when you are an online gamer. I tried ringing them about this issue and after much deliberation it was concluded that 'nothing can be done'.

**** Eircom up the ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I am stuck with them for this month anyway which is very very annoying as I am 90% on my cap and there is still a few days left so I can only view text for the time being until I switch fully to UPC.

I never had a problem with Eircom tbh but I cant pay what they want for an unlimited cap so I moved to UPC on their 3/1 package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Do NOT sign up for Eircom!!!!

Firstly, they blocked all their customers from PirateBay. What kind of ISP tries to police it's own customers???
    concluded that 'nothing can be done'.

**** Eircom up the ****

So? just use a diff proxy to access the site. The link is down at the moment just so you know.

www.piratebayproxy.org

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,560 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

anyone have a time frame for the rolling out of NGB ?

I was told August-September for Tipperary but I dont really believe them tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭CelticTigress

Still waiting for first generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wow I just looked at the NGB prices and features, it looks like a load of Codswollip.

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bundles/ngb/16/#fragment-3

Basic package is 46.79 a month! and 10gb download allowance, this must be some sort of a joke!

Thats real expensive for a downgrade of internet features imo, id rather have a slower broadband and unlimited downloads than "high speed" and 10gb allowance.
    Dsl is ancient , no one in USA uses that anymore, then there was cable , now they use Fibre.
    Is eircom getting rid of the DSL?
    Will NGB enalble us to have the phone line company and broadband company seperate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Headshot wrote: »
    anyone have a time frame for the rolling out of NGB ?

I was told August-September for Tipperary but I dont really believe them tbh
    Any chance your exchange is listed here.
    Maybe they're working on it?

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=27&E=0000000000253796742&K=6188&Sxi=2&case=8109

Mine is, but according to the NGB map I won't be migrated until September at best. It's really gonna take them that long to do the work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

LpPepper wrote: »
    I think its great ,

891587417.png

Im on the premium package and Ive had no problems since I got it . Internet never slows down and can watch full HD vids on ytube without buffering stopping me from watching them.

UPC Waterford:

897469515.png
    21289313.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Freddie59 wrote: »
    UPC Waterford:

897469515.png
    21289313.png

And UPC Fibre Broadband is available to how many in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Ever since this was introduced 4 weeks ago my bandwidth has been terrible, 0.2mb on a 8mb line, eircom support are useless, I'm not risking them sending out an engineer just for him to say there's nothing wrong and charge me a €150 call out fee, switching to UPC next week. This along with them charging me for going over the download limit makes it an easy decision.
    898648853.png

My upload is faster than my frickin download!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

ShaneU wrote: »
    Ever since this was introduced 4 weeks ago my bandwidth has been terrible, 0.2mb on a 8mb line, eircom support are useless, I'm not risking them sending out an engineer just for him to say there's nothing wrong and charge me a €150 call out fee, switching to UPC next week. This along with them charging me for going over the download limit makes it an easy decision.
    898648853.png

My upload is faster than my frickin download!

ah the joys of eircon :mad: aswell as your download being so bad pings over over 100ms+ for DSL is not good shame on eircon for this thats a disgrace that service your getting from them even my mobile broadband is not as slow as that

898613844.png

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

According to their website i've migrated over to NGB. However I ran a few speed tests just there and i'm only getting 1 mb. I got the same result from a number of tests.

I'm supposed to be on a 3mb line before this so called next generation broadband so this is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ironically, I posted the other day about atrocious BB speeds in Bray after NGB came in. Didn't get a single reply. I took the lack of response to my thread as a hint that maybe my problem lay elsewhere. Turns out it did. My poxy 85mb homeplugs have gone to crap (1mbit!!) and where choking my 8mbit NGB BB connection to the PC I was using. Ran the speedtests again from a wireless connected laptop and turns out my BB was running at full speed downloading at 7mbit. So I'm glad you guys didn't post in my thread or else I would still be giving out about Eircom and making do with 1mbit speeds :D (not defending Eircom btw, just bit of irony related to my situation from reading these last few posts. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

I wish someone would tell me what exactly Eircom's reasoning on this whole issue is. Basically we are getting higher speeds but most lines cannot handle what they offer and therefore what we are seeing in effect is a very marginal increase in speed and contention while potentially being charged for going over the paltry cap. The cap is absolutely ridiculous and as people have said already you don't have to be a torrent fiend to go over the limit. So those who know about this swindle saying they'll go to UPC (if it's in their area) and those who do not yet know about it may know soon enough. What exactly is Eircom's genius plan for staying financially viable as UPC spreads it's tendrils across the country and people opt for them for BB, for phone and TV. Sky ought to watch out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Calebmcd wrote: »
    And UPC Fibre Broadband is available to how many in Ireland?

In fairness they only started in waterford in 2005 (that's when I got it) and everywhere in the City can get it. :D

UPC refused to put down their lines in bracken grove, so every other estate around bracken grove can get UPC, fair annoying :( wish i had UPC

Was just downloading a 300mb file there with the NGB broadband top package with phone

Got 800kb/s download speed , pretty good i'd say !

ping is about 40-60ms

upload usually .30-50.mb/s

Was just downloading a 300mb file there with the NGB broadband top package with phone

Got 800kb/s download speed , pretty good i'd say !

ping is about 40-60ms

upload usually .30-50.mb/s

Yeah thats good speed , your getting over 6mb i believe, luck you :D

Actually its 7mb :p

I used to get around 200-300kb/s download before the NGB upgrade but now usually as i said its 750-850kb/s with 7mb on speed test .net

Im located in Tallaght D24 , don't know if that has anything to do with , seem to be the only person in this whole thread who benifitted from it :D

Actually its 7mb :p

I used to get around 200-300kb/s download before the NGB upgrade but now usually as i said its 750-850kb/s with 7mb on speed test .net

Im located in Tallaght D24 , don't know if that has anything to do with , seem to be the only person in this whole thread who benifitted from it :D

lies :P you got 800KB/s converted to megabits by dividing by 128 gives you 6.25Mb :) Thats what I get when i type "800KB in Mb" into mighty google lol

It depends where you are in relation to the exchange, I can only get like 4mb max on my line because im like a mile and a half from the middle of Waterford.

i'm in Cork and am still on 3MB, no 8MB here yet.

I am getting UPC 15MB before the end of the month anyway, so Eircom can stuff there phoneline up where the sun don't shine.

I'm gutted. The NGB website told me months ago I would be upgraded before September. Even in June I was told on Eircom's support forum it would be some time in August. Now some asshole on there has told me it "may" be enabled by the end of September. Fcuk's sake I'm really disappointed. It'll be Christmas by the time I get it. Eircom are just so slow and bad at everything in general.

I really wanted to be upgraded before the TV starts back in America. Looks like I'm still stuck with my ****ty 50gb limit. ::mad::(:mad::( Idiots!

• Advertisement

I'm gutted. The NGB website told me months ago I would be upgraded before September. Even in June I was told on Eircom's support forum it would be some time in August. Now some asshole on there has told me it "may" be enabled by the end of September. Fcuk's sake I'm really disappointed. It'll be Christmas by the time I get it. Eircom are just so slow and bad at everything in general.

I really wanted to be upgraded before the TV starts back in America. Looks like I'm still stuck with my ****ty 50gb limit. ::mad::(:mad::( Idiots!

You do know if your being upgraded by eircom your limit doesn't get bigger, right?

Advertisement