Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has anyone got eircom NGB and is it any good??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Doylers wrote: »
    You do know if your bring upgraded by eircom your limit doesn't get bigger, right?

In fact it effectively goes down quite a lot.

Doylers wrote: »
    You do know if your being upgraded by eircom your limit doesn't get bigger, right?
    Doesn't it go from my current 50GB to unlimited (which in fair use is 250GB)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Only if you get the advanced version...ie the E69/month version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Nope, I rang eircom and asked a rep would my limit got up since my speed will be much faster and she said they wont increase it.

Listen I'm currently on 7mb with a 50gb allowance. Once upgraded that goes to 8mb and unlimited allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

LOL , It's strange to see people complaining about a 50gb allowance , spare a tought for me , with o2 on 10gb.:(

Just a quick question , my eircom exchange is broadband enabled , has been for about a year now , but the cables from the exchange are 30 years old.:rolleyes:

With this new NGB thing anychance of the cables being upgraded at all? Or does it improve my chances of real broadband at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Anyone get upgraded in Limerick yet. It says on their website it has been enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Peanut wrote: »
    One of the positive changes with NGB in my opinion is a substantial fair usage allowance of 250GB on the top package.

Used to be the case where you had to have an expensive business package with most of the DSL providers before you were on "unlimited" (or something half decent). Although for most customers 30/40GB is probably still OK.

faster the speeds, the more allowance you need. 30GB is crap IMO. Fair enough if you are almost computer illiterate, but the people who can use Bit Torrentz, know what an anti-virus is. I love to watch boxin, but for the Thrilla In Manila it was 2.3GB download. 250GB is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭irishsid

I've just had a new line installed into my house. The line was tested over the phone and they said I can get 7.6mb. They also said where I live is NGB enabled.
    Has anyone in Donegal town got NGB yet?
    Is it any good?
    Are you getting your full speed?
    Do you game with it?

I currently have 3mb from Northwest Electronics and apart from the periodic cutouts I've been very happy with them. I get very little lag with them and host a lot of games on MW2.

Also, what about stuff like rapidshare? Do I have to worry about downloading stuff? I don't use torrent, just file hosts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭maninblack

anyone been contacted about breaching their montly cap?

I'm on the Regular package, which I think is over 30gb?

I download a hell of a lot, easily over the 100gb a month mark!

Been with eircom since 2004 and never once heard a peep about it from them.

If they start enforcing the download cap, I'm off to UPC without hesitation! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

maninblack wrote: »
    anyone been contacted about breaching their montly cap?

I'm on the Regular package, which I think is over 30gb?

I download a hell of a lot, easily over the 100gb a month mark!

Been with eircom since 2004 and never once heard a peep about it from them.

If they start enforcing the download cap, I'm off to UPC without hesitation! :mad:

My cousin was with Eircom every since they first ever started 0.5MB, and the dial up before that. But when he wanted to move to UPC recently Eircom told him he'd have to pay off the final month of his contract or else wait a month for UPC to be installed.

Beware of them showers of bastards.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

irishsid wrote: »
    I've just had a new line installed into my house. The line was tested over the phone and they said I can get 7.6mb. They also said where I live is NGB enabled.
    Has anyone in Donegal town got NGB yet?
    Is it any good?
    Are you getting your full speed?
    Do you game with it?

I currently have 3mb from Northwest Electronics and apart from the periodic cutouts I've been very happy with them. I get very little lag with them and host a lot of games on MW2.

Also, what about stuff like rapidshare? Do I have to worry about downloading stuff? I don't use torrent, just file hosts.
    Didn't realise it was in Donegal town yet.

I'm with UTV Broadband (with "unlimited" addon), not sure if they will notify me of the change/switchover, or whether I have to choose to go on it?

I'm assuming bitstream resellers have to use the NGB system too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

NGB? I can't imagine it being any good for a lot of people. I'm on Eircom's 24 meg. I don't really watch my download limit but considering on steam last night I downloaded ~20 gigs, I could well imagine I go over the 75 gig limit frequently. Are Eircom trying to lose customers with such low caps? Are comreg forcing them to have these limitations? I would have thought a FUP of 200-300 gig would have been reasonable in this day and age. I pay €70 a month basically for this service, which is more than enough. If I get a single charge for going over I'll definitely leave Eircom.

908456448.png

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

When I saw the ads on TV I thought it's something new, but then when I checked out their website about the NGB I thought it's a joke.

50-60 EUR for a 8Mbit line? And traffic limited between 10GB and 30GB?
    That's a HUGE step back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Glad I'm not the only one pulling hair out over this. 10GB? Go F~CK yourself eircom. By the time we'd received the postcard with the info we'd already breached 20 for that 30 day period.

Problem is, we cant get UPC here. Wimax I have to have another look at or its a digital sat link.

Loyal customers(had eircom BB since the first small business trials) and this is how they thank us:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It currently says that Waterford (at least half of it anyway) is enabled. Am I right in saying that this makes no difference until it changes to "customers migrated" because I'm still syncing at 3072/384 which is kind of disappointing as our line has always been very good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

the roll out is a bit of a shambles, i know people in clare who got letters from Eircom saying they would be enabled but they have not and i know of VF people who have been migrated and only found out by accident, ie I told them check the router. The map on eircom site is way ou of date.

The way you will know is when line synch changes but it is quite possible only the upload will change to 512. D/l may be restricted by line length from exchange.

we await as always.

gb--

AdMMM wrote: »
    It currently says that Waterford (at least half of it anyway) is enabled. Am I right in saying that this makes no difference until it changes to "customers migrated" because I'm still syncing at 3072/384 which is kind of disappointing as our line has always been very good!

I asked an eircom rep on their forums and he said that Waterford was enabled the other day. I would guess depends where you are in the town, im in the Kilcohan area and will expect to have NGB as soon as my modem comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'll make the switch to UPC so.

AdMMM wrote: »
    I'll make the switch to UPC so.

Believe me, I would too if i could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

I just left a download running and when I went to check on it, it was going at 178 KB/s. Now keeping in mind I was on a 1MB connection....I went to check my router page and it had my stats at 2058/256. I've been expecting the NGB upgrade but this is pretty naff. Wow double the speed for em double the price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    the roll out is a bit of a shambles, i know people in clare who got letters from Eircom saying they would be enabled but they have not and i know of VF people who have been migrated and only found out by accident, ie I told them check the router. The map on eircom site is way ou of date.

The way you will know is when line synch changes but it is quite possible only the upload will change to 512. D/l may be restricted by line length from exchange.

we await as always.

gb--

Hi,

The NGB.ie map is actually quite up to date. As exchanges are migrated (customer migrations) the site is updated and the exchange colour is changes. Is there any particular area on the map you see any issue with? If so let me know and I'll check it out.

Bruno2010 wrote: »
    Hi,

The NGB.ie map is actually quite up to date. As exchanges are migrated (customer migrations) the site is updated and the exchange colour is changes. Is there any particular area on the map you see any issue with? If so let me know and I'll check it out.

You must be looking at a different website. I'm in Limerick City and it's orange for "NGB enabled" but I'm still on the old service.

You must be looking at a different website. I'm in Limerick City and it's orange for "NGB enabled" but I'm still on the old service.

Hi .. same map :) ... NGB Enabled means your exchange infrastructure has been upgraded. It's when you're exchange goes Yellow - 'Customers Migrated' that all customers have been migrated to NGB. If you're looking for it sooner then you can go to www.eircom.net/broadband or call eircom directly and they'll move you over straight away

Hi .. same map :) ... NGB Enabled means your exchange infrastructure has been upgraded. It's when you're exchange goes Yellow - 'Customers Migrated' that all customers have been migrated to NGB. If you're looking for it sooner then you can go to www.eircom.net/broadband or call eircom directly and they'll move you over straight away

Ok thank you for that. I'll give Eircom a call and report back.

Ok thank you for that. I'll give Eircom a call and report back.

Good stuff ... let me know how you get on :)

Good stuff ... let me know how you get on :)
    Yeah I rang and got a guy called Aml who was very helpful. I signed up to a new one year contract and he said I should have NGB by Tuesday! :) This would be brilliant but it seems too good to be true. I had previously posted at Eircom Connect and they said I wouldn't be able to get NGB until at least the end of September. That's where my cynicism and negativity came from.

If I do get the NGB by Tuesday Bruno then you're a god!! :D

Wynter Microscopic Number .. if you PM me with your tel no I'll check your order out for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The area I'm in shows as migrated on the ngb.ie website but I had to ring to get changed over as when I entered my phone number and a/c no it said the package I was on was such that I wouldn't automatically be migrated (Home Professional with a 6144kbps limit).

I'm supposed to get changed over by Monday ... we'll see :)

• Advertisement

Wynter Microscopic Number .. if you PM me with your tel no I'll check your order out for you

I replied to your PM ... you're lookin good!

Advertisement