Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old video shops in Ennis

• 03-06-2010 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Anyone here remember these:

Hurdy Gurdys
    Pace
    City Video
    Video Empire (I think)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Of course.

Hurdy Gurdy had the most punishing late fees. I lost the manual for Captain Chaos on the Mega Drive and he put a 12 pound charge on my account. The place did however have a really good section of videos, games, and foreign films for such a small place.

Video Empire switched it's name to Empire Video (or vice versa, I can't remember) at some point. It was good in the early days I think. Was it there before Xtra Vision? The place was absolutely mobbed back then anyway.

City Video was beside MT Pockets? Or was it Century video. I forget the name. Best rental place in Ennis by a country mile anyway. It was dirt cheap and the charges for bringing back stuff late were fairly minor. I got sick with a chest infection when I was young, kept an RPG called Landstalker for 2 and a half weeks (it was really difficult and I was trying to finish it), brought it back and he just shook his head at me, said he was very dissapointed, and then said sure nobody rents this anyway. Give me 50p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭blueshark22

branie wrote: »
    Anyone here remember these:

Hurdy Gurdys
    Pace
    City Video
    Video Empire (I think)

Hurdy gurdys god ... ages since i even thought about them!!! pace was behind dominos kinda , where where the others located my brain is frozen, we had chartbusters at the height for a while aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭croker95

Gleesons Video Scene on Parnell St.....:cool:

Showing my age a bit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

croker95 wrote: »

Showing my age a bit....

Wow.. don't remember that one at all. What year are we talking? Probabably 85 direction?

I remember City Video now I think. That was next to Downes and Howards? It was.. Planet Games or Games Planet or something before that. You could pay by the hour to play Mega Drive, SNES and Mega CD games.

There was Games Master across the road which only rented NES and SNES games for some reason. They held Street Fighter 2 tournaments on a regular basis. Made a bit of money on those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

Remember the one near the West County across the road from Flannan's. Didn't last very long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Benny Lava wrote: »
    Remember the one near the West County across the road from Flannan's. Didn't last very long.

Megavision, He didn't last long at all.

That guy had a successful branch in Ennistymon for a number of years before he set up in town. I recon piracy put him out of business as downloading etc had just taken off. Extra Vision were quick enough to diversify into mobile phones, retail sales etc to suppliment their business.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Remember when Xtra-Vision was upstairs in the Market? There was a place there before that, they had the top 50 videos on a shelf with a light under it, if the light was on it was in, if not it wasn't, great system. Video City and City Video, in the Parnell St. Carpark, Hurdy Gurdy was where the Library is now, use to get Amstrad games there for 1.99, they had a second shop where Abra is now. There was a place in Michael's Villa's as well, where the picture framing is now. Pace isn't gone long either. I'd forgotten completely about the place where you could play video games for an hour. There was a second Xtra Vision where Clare FM as well.

There's a video place on Carmody Street as well

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Pace Video is gone?!! Since when?! Only 2 years ago they helped my mate Nathan end his 6 year quest to own a copy of The Pagemaster! It was so weird, I was actually after telling him like 10 minutes beforehand just to give up on it, walked into Pace Video, and there it was in front of us on VHS for rent for like 2 euro for the night. He asked could he keep it for good so they charged him 3 euro!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

It's been gone well over a year now, some kind of kids clothes shop was in there but is also gone I think

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Showing my age a bit....

Same here, I remember going to see santa upstairs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 iquitalready

Showing my age a bit....

You and me both. My account number was 6 :D

The earliest I can remember (the first in Ennis I think) was Tidal Video. It was located beside the Queens, where Mulqueens florist is now (assuming they're still there!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I used to work in the one in St Michaels, now that is showing my age!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

maiden wrote: »
    I used to work in the one in St Michaels, now that is showing my age!!!

my father was a member

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭carmel27

Didnt one of them get into fairly big trouble at one time for the type of video they were renting out???? It was before the internet came along, and it caused some scandal at the time! Im sure it made the "Champan" (Clare Champion) and all at the time! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

This thread appears to have turned into a show-your-age thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement