Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent build, thoughts and recommendations?

Options
  • 03-06-2010 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

I've decided to build a near-silent air cooled pc with reasonable power and these are the parts I've decided on. I just grabbed them all from ebuyer here, but if you know where to get them cheaper, please tell. I haven't decided on a budget either, but any way to cut costs will be welcomed. I do intend to stick with an SSD though. Also, will I need anything else with the SSD or does it come with everything required to install in a 3.5" bay?

Processor
    CPU Cooler
    Case
    Mobo
    RAM
    Gfx
    HDD
    SSD
    PSU

Monitor

I'm thinking of suspending the HDD in a 5.25" bay instead of screwing it in to a 3.5" bay in order to cut down on vibrations. Are there any other ways to make it quieter that anyone can recommend?

I don't intend to overclock, just dial all the fans down to a minimum. (Also can anyone recommend some good quiet fans :D)

Thanks.

PS. Have a DVD drive spare at home, just in case anyone thinks I forgot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

what do you intend on doing with the pc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

General purpose pc, bit of gaming, a lot of media.

I'll be using it for some college projects as well, and I'm hoping to start development of a game mod for HL2 some time next year so graphic work might come into it eventually.

Jack of all trades, master of spreadsheets :D

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-042-OE if you dont want to overclock this bundle already at 4ghz for ya

Not a bad bundle, but the price works out the same and I'd have to drop down to a h55 ud2 mobo. I have no problem overclocking on my own, it's just not in the spirit of the current project.

Thanks for the input anyway.

Just out of interest, the package includes a freezer 7 pro rev.2, but the comments cite a corsair h50 watercooling kit... considering those cost 50 more, I'm just wondering if the system would still be as solid... I know the freezer 7 is excellent, but the h50 can keep constant temps no matter the load.

hare05 wrote: »
    Not a bad bundle, but the price works out the same and I'd have to drop down to a h55 ud2 mobo. I have no problem overclocking on my own, it's just not in the spirit of the current project.

Thanks for the input anyway.

Just out of interest, the package includes a freezer 7 pro rev.2, but the comments cite a corsair h50 watercooling kit... considering those cost 50 more, I'm just wondering if the system would still be as solid... I know the freezer 7 is excellent, but the h50 can keep constant temps no matter the load.
    i would think a mistake to be honest if you are not going to overclock not much point in spending a lot on a mobo

• Advertisement

I will overclock eventually, but I know how much power I need and I intend to stay silent for as long as possible. I'll incrementally overclock as I need it over the next few years. Crysis 2 = 4GHz :rolleyes:

Advertisement