Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attention Munster Men & Women

Options
  • 03-06-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

So, the fellas up North have the Dragonslayers, the East Coast is about to launch Season 1 of a Super Street Figher league...so why don't we do the same / similar (both those leagues work differently to each other).

Can be done at the same time as casuals or kept to a specific time. Should be cheap - consoles covered by casuals is usually €5 each and that keeps us going a few hours (will refer to FutureGuy for exact cost). Throw a couple of extra euro in the pot for a (day) winner and season winner and we have a league. And, as was joked about in the other thread, we could have an All-Ireland final - could be at a casual session or as part of an Inferno tournament - just so there are some spectators :)

Any interest and we can iron out details? I, of course, would be interested - just need to find a time that suits all (i.e. weekends could be a bit sketchy for me with the new rotas)...

It hasn't been clearly stated up to now but I am suggesting The Moviedrome in Limerick as the venue but anyone is welcome to participate of course. Alternative venues could be used if suitable - just going with what we know. Find enough good venues and the place could alternate throughout the season......But for now, let's Keep It Simple Stupid :)

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I wasn't joking about the All Ireland final idea. I think it would brilliant because as with the team tournaments there is automatically a level of support for the players that is lacking in the singles tournaments.

Anyway good luck with this and I hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

What Orim said x2, good luck with this and I've always wanted to see an all Ireland thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

I'd be very surprised if I'm wrong but I'm sure all us limerick lads would love this!

Just to avoid confusion, I am definitely interested! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Orim wrote: »
    I wasn't joking about the All Ireland final idea.

We should talk!

Definitely but we need to get something organised in Connaught to make it a proper All Ireland.

Alternatively we could give it to Ropedrink by default. He might come down if he has to represent his province.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Who were the Cork players as well looking to start something? I must look up another Limerick thread for the Waterford player...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Dublin, count yerselves lucky you have the might of Shadaloo Westmeath on your side, being we're in Leinster :pac:

On a more serious note, an All Ireland would be cool

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I am quite obviously up for this. :D Was going to start this thread after inferno, damn your efficiency Sabre!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Who were the Cork players as well looking to start something? I must look up another Limerick thread for the Waterford player...

That would be me :) . I've also found another guy who's very interested in getting involved in the community :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

We ain't Leinster, we're East Coast baby! Get hype!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

MovieDrome is 5 euro/console/hour or 10 euro/3 hours. So all 4 consoles for 3 hours would be a higly reasonable 40 euro for a 3-hour block.

My opinion is that tournaments going on in Limerick should be held on the third Saturday of every month. This will allow Inferno to run on the first Saturday, thus giving a 2-3 week break between events. I haven't forgotton about the DragonSlayer crowd, but I think that Dublin would be thie main port of call for events outside of their own. Belfast-Limerick would be some distance!

I just want to lay it out there...I'd be very happy to run something like this, but in addition to casuals. We are still in the formative period in our community and we need to put effort into getting new players. Flyers in gaming shops, on University Campuses, that sort of thing. Set up a Hotmail account "streetfighterlimerick@hotmail.com" and have it on the flyers so people have an easy way to ask questions etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ramza wrote: »
    Dublin, count yerselves lucky you have the might of Shadaloo Westmeath on your side, being we're in Leinster :pac:

On a more serious note, an All Ireland would be cool

Fight... alongside... Azza?

I'm sorry, I don't understand, you're going to have to explain again.

On a side note, we'd probably make the most hated team in the country.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    We ain't Leinster, we're East Coast baby! Get hype!!

Don't wanna do things the American way :(

FutureGuy wrote: »
    MovieDrome is 5 euro/console/hour or 10 euro/3 hours. So all 4 consoles for 3 hours would be a higly reasonable 40 euro for a 3-hour block.

My opinion is that tournaments going on in Limerick should be held on the third Saturday of every month. This will allow Inferno to run on the first Saturday, thus giving a 2-3 week break between events. I haven't forgotton about the DragonSlayer crowd, but I think that Dublin would be thie main port of call for events outside of their own. Belfast-Limerick would be some distance!
    I just want to lay it out there...I'd be very happy to run something like this, but in addition to casuals. We are still in the formative period in our community and we need to put effort into getting new players. Flyers in gaming shops, on University Campuses, that sort of thing. Set up a Hotmail account "streetfighterlimerick@hotmail.com" and have it on the flyers so people have an easy way to ask questions etc.

Something to consider.

The likes of myself, chopper jim et al are more than willing to travel for tournaments when we can from Dublin.

I think we can all agree that getting experienced players down to you will really help your games.

Take careful consideration in conflicting with Dragonslayers as doing so will thin the heard of Dublin people who can attend- I go to every DS I can (they level my game up) and I would also go to yours- as long as they don't conflict.

This said, I understand you need to put your community first and if you think a nice spacing with Inferno is more important, I'm not going to burn your house down :)

Fight... alongside... Azza?

I'm sorry, I don't understand, you're going to have to explain again.

On a side note, we'd probably make the most hated team in the country.

Don't wanna do things the American way :(

Something to consider.

The likes of myself, chopper jim et al are more than willing to travel for tournaments when we can from Dublin.

I think we can all agree that getting experienced players down to you will really help your games.

Take careful consideration in conflicting with Dragonslayers as doing so will thin the heard of Dublin people who can attend- I go to every DS I can (they level my game up) and I would also go to yours- as long as they don't conflict.

This said, I understand you need to put your community first and if you think a nice spacing with Inferno is more important, I'm not going to burn your house down :)

Completely agree, the three big communities are Limerick, Dublin and Belfast. We need to all work together to make sure nothing conflicts.

Sory for the ignorance here...how often is DS run?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Capital idea Sabre! Count me in. Also, to DooM, sorry I couldn't join last night. FutureGuy knows of my router failure. Gotta do something about that soonest.

So, casuals next week, ya! We can discuss it more then!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Nice idea Sabre. I'd attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I know some lads in Tralee/Dingle who might be up for this.

But their main problem would be getting to Limerick.

alive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Now that I'm down in Cork I'd totally be up for Limerick tourneys. Bring em on.

I'm not exactly sure how DS is being run time wise Future Guy, I am sorry!

They post a thread and I show up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Won't have such a problem going to Limerick myself, seeing that I won't have to worry about college though I might want to save some money for the next Inferno in July, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Tournaments in the mother-county!!! Definately be good for building the community. Id be up for helping to run it/keeping track of stuff etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If you run a comp, I'll enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Im in ^.^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm up for it!

Not going to make casuals this week so I will just throw down some food for thought...

3rd Saturday of every month works for me (and hopefully I can avoid working on that day).

Format:
    All dependent on numbers I suppose but options include -
    League - Every session features a league where everyone plays everyone (suppose best of three matches, 3 rounds, 99 seconds)
    Groups >> Bracket - Dragonslayers has worked in this fashion - allocates points per win and then finishing positions
    Bracket - SE / DE. Less "bang for your buck" - couple of games and you are out and with the tally of Ireland in the Eurovision :D

Pricing / Prizing:
    Need to cover the cost of the consoles (format and numbers are the key factors).
    Then just decide on what is wanted - prize per session + prize at end // prize at end // paid trip to Dublin for finals, etc. Also, if paid trips are the plan for season winner, need to know what happens if one of the blow-ins (Dubliners) win...Pay for their Luas across town? :D

Kinda surprised by the interest at this early stage...So if we are going for third Saturday, we have two weeks to get the initial one going. Have no problems starting small :)

🤪

Right then! Time to get organised :)

Session 1 of 4-6:
    Date: Saturday June 19th (each consecutive session will take place on the third Saturday of the month). Maybe we confine it to four sessions so that we finish in September and have crowned a champion. Dublin SHOULD be done by August...

Time: Start at 1

Cost: €5 console rental (fixed cost) + €2 entry fee

Format: Groups + Double Elimination. Assuming we can get net access in Moviedrome, tourney.cc will handle group draws and brackets

Seeding: ?
    >> Must check if Dragonslayers / Dublin League counts towards overall seed...We only have a small player base anyways so random draws MAY make things more interesting (or difficult :) )

Hypothetical Point Warning
    What the cost gets you / the league: Doubt we will get too many people at each session...For illustration purposes, we will assume six. Each session - €6 x €2 = €12 prize pot. 4 sessions require €5 of this to cover ticket for nationals (assuming there is a national final). THEN it must be determined if there is to be a prize for the national final.

SO, winner gets train ticket paid for (€20) to Dublin for a potential national final. If the winner is outside Limerick, they still get that fee (even if it is a Dubliner who wins as they will be making back their own cost for travelling down). If the league winner cannot attend a final, this fee gets passed to next player.

That leaves €7 per session which would leave a prize at the end of €28 for a league champion - or broken down for a 2nd and/or 3rd. Probably not enough interest to warrant and provide a per session winning.

At the end of the day though, we can't overlook the importance of bragging rights :)

Talking Points:
    Prize Fund
    Seeds
    Number of sessions
    ?

Let's Go!

🤪

Sounds good Sabre and puts the pressure on to try and get a national final going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

if you have it on the 2nd and 4th saturdays you can easily fit 6 in while avoiding inferno and day of champions.

if you have it on the 2nd and 4th saturdays you can easily fit 6 in while avoiding inferno and day of champions.

Only issue with that (this month) is that the 2nd Saturday is tomorrow and people are looking unsteady for the casuals anyways. Perhaps back to back Sessions 1 & 2 - Next Saturday and the week after. And then follow the 2nd and 4th every month :)

Just waiting on the local lads now.

🤪

Just a couple of points to mull.

Jus use common sense for the seeding for people from outside. DS seeded me for my first trip.

Secondly, I don't think the size of the prize will effect who comes from Dublin, there's no prize other than at the end of the year for DS either and some ofus go to that.

I'll try to attend and try to bring the trusty doomcam. :)

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Only issue with that (this month) is that the 2nd Saturday is tomorrow and people are looking unsteady for the casuals anyways. Perhaps back to back Sessions 1 & 2 - Next Saturday and the week after. And then follow the 2nd and 4th every month :)

Just waiting on the local lads now.

I'd be well up for this. Spoke to sabre about irl but never stated the fact here.

I think this Saturday is a no-go but the following Saturday seems good!

Advertisement