Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving behaviour towards cyclists

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭SleepDoc

TROLL ALERT TROLL ALERT!!

This Paul Watson character can usually be found starting troll like threads on AH.

He also plays golf.

"Porto golf links.

75, with a nice 34 on the back nine. Two club breeze, but the flat stick was hot."

Says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

SleepDoc wrote: »
    He also plays golf.

"Porto golf links.

75, with a nice 34 on the back nine. Two club breeze, but the flat stick was hot."

Says it all.

And his name is Paul Watson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

This Paul Watson character can usually be found starting troll like threads on AH.

some are quite funny actually ;)

But seriously, Paul, whats wrong with cyclist cycling 2 abrest? You could overtake them when its safe and if you can't overtake the two you probably shouldn't be overtaking a single one anyway on most roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

But seriously, Paul, whats wrong with cyclist cycling 2 abrest? You could overtake them when its safe and if you can't overtake the two you probably shouldn't be overtaking a single one anyway on most roads

If he hadn't bought a Saab he probably could overtake them with ease, I reckon it's something of a struggle in one of those (sorry Saab drivers, they lost their cool after the 80s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    hate to break the news to you, but drivers are sick to the back teeth with jumped up cyclists. Was out the other day and a couple were cycling two abreast taking up the whole lane, upwards of ten cars behind.

Get over yourselves.

Fcuk off there Paul like a good man. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

WAPAIC wrote: »
    Adding a pannier on the right had side also seems to have helped - it makes me look wider than I am or maybe it makes me look like a ould fart who might wobble around the road.

Affecting a slight wobble definitely makes cars overtake you with greater care and more clearance. Probably should be used very sparingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Affecting a slight wobble definitely makes cars overtake you with greater care and more clearance. Probably should be used very sparingly.

On a slightly related note...
    I once heard a very experienced racer advise people to ride a little erratically in the bunch just to make others a little less inclined to want to ride past you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

WAPAIC wrote: »
    That said I nearly got clipped this evening near Airfield farm, scared the bejayis out of me because I hadn't heard her behind me. Kind of funny having a good looking girl scream and shout abuse at me though; she had a very attractive middle finger, I could see it quite clearly. She overtook me again later but I still beat her past my house:)

I'm trying to avoid the shouting matches these days, but I will generally try to have a little chat with the driver once I catch them up. I explain that a pothole or gust of wind will have me under their wheel if they don't leave enough room. Mixed reactions, as always.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

coolbeans wrote: »
    Fcuk off there Paul like a good man.

Personal abuse will not be tolerated

Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Quite right too. Apologies PW.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Raam wrote: »
    On a slightly related note...
    I once heard a very experienced racer advise people to ride a little erratically in the bunch just to make others a little less inclined to want to ride past you.

Worked for Abdujaparov (I don't care how it's spelt).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    If he hadn't bought a Saab he probably could overtake them with ease, I reckon it's something of a struggle in one of those (sorry Saab drivers, they lost their cool after the 80s).

Excuse me! I'll have you know that my late 80s / early 90s classic Saab 900s have become cooler over the years...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Excuse me! I'll have you know that my late 80s / early 90s classic Saab 900s have become cooler over the years...

Saab 900s will always be cool, but the likes of the Saab 93 or the 95 (new one in particular) are just boring cars, probably loads of room for golf clubs though, and you can bore people to tears about the jet plane inspired dash.

I guess that's what happens when GM meets the Swedes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Saab 900s will always be cool, but the likes of the Saab 93 or the 95 (new one in particular) are just boring cars, probably loads of room for golf clubs though, and you can bore people to tears about the jet plane inspired dash.

I guess that's what happens when GM meets the Swedes...

SPAD_SAAB9-5.jpg

I like that: "Saab: Wow! We're still here!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

I'm trying to avoid the shouting matches these days, but I will generally try to have a little chat with the driver once I catch them up. I explain that a pothole or gust of wind will have me under their wheel if they don't leave enough room. Mixed reactions, as always.

As I recall I didn't say a word to her, she saw me glance in the window as I rolled by and she let rip. I probably looked upset or annoyed. I used to have a go now and again but lately I really do find being calm and making the safety point is very disarming and less stressful. Shouting abuse at a lone female occupant isn't cool in my book anyway, no matter how uncool she is. Asking her if her mother raised her to use language like that is ok though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

The swedes are now inventing a means to make hitting cyclists with your saab no big deal.

collar-male.jpg

Now, after an impact with a swede you can, rather than being dead, affect an avant-garde fasionista look.

airbag-inflated.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

Beasty wrote: »
    Personal abuse will not be tolerated

Beasty
    coolbeans wrote: »
    Quite right too. Apologies PW.

Worry not friends, I'll won't take the comments to heart.

That's the ego appeased for the day.

It's not the overtaking that bothers me, it is the out and out arrogance of the act.

She's a nice 93 turbo, plenty of poke.

Just another thing, I'm not a cyclist hater. I'd advise you lot to calm it down for a number of reasons. You have had a free run a things for the last 5 years, that will change. Slowly but surely the drive will begin for tax and insurance for bikes, as well as penalty points on the licence for cycling offences.

I'm not a lover of authority and unlike 99% of people here, I actually would prefer to live in a somewhat free society. Don't give the clowns a reason to hang you out to dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

agestureofappreciationforchristcycle.jpg

• Advertisement

Just another thing, I'm not a cyclist hater. I'd advise you lot to calm it down for a number of reasons. You have had a free run a things for the last 5 years, that will change. Slowly but surely the drive will begin for tax and insurance for bikes, as well as penalty points on the licence for cycling offences.

Where, might I ask, are you getting this from?

Free run? Have you cycled in Dublin? If these measures ever came in I would just say "feck it" and go back to driving everywhere. If I'm going to be taxed for riding something that produces no emissions, doesn't damage the roads, etc. then I may as well be warm, sitting on leather seats, listening to 4FM while getting my backside massaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...You have had a free run a things for the last 5 years, ....

5 years? What happened over the last 5 years.

BostonB wrote: »

Apparently we had a total exemption from the law. Why did no one tell me? I would have been cruising around on my bike with a bottle of jack in one hand, a pound of blow in the other and a hooker across the top tube.

BostonB wrote: »

Bike lanes, tax break cycles, dublin city bike schemes, crazy car speed restrictions, massive anti car- pro bike propaganda and so on.

As usual, a bugger agenda is at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Backs to the wall lads!

Bike lanes, tax break cycles, dublin city bike schemes, crazy car speed restrictions, massive anti car- pro bike propaganda and so on.

But you're not against cyclists, right? Did it ever occur to you that this isn't so much pro-cyclist as it is pro-dublin? Cars are great, I love cars, but Dublin can only handle so many.

You conveninently excluded other measure like operation freeflow, the luas, QBCs, the planned metro from your analysis and for some reason decided to focus all your frustrations on cyclists. Unless you take the measures you listed in the context of a greater traffic management plan for Dublin, you are just skewing the facts to suit your dislike of bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Yeah but where did you get 5 yrs from? Some of that happened only recently and some of it, well before that. Whats a bugger agenda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

I would expect that many people in this group have been cycling for more than the past 5 years, so anything that we got in our "free run" would not be missed that much. And some we would gladly give back (bike lanes).

The Dublin bikes scheme have been a big success and beneficial to more than just cyclists (who surely would have their own bikes).

The crazy car speed restrictions were not that crazy and when you take into account the number of roads that have been reclassified to allow high speed limits on the new transnational routes, changing a few town centres to a lower speed is hardly a big thing.

If you were to look, you would find as much anti-bike pro-car propaganda. Just look at the recent articles in some of the papers and your own rant for examples.

You can keep that agenda for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm a cyclist, but also drive, as do most of us. Am I therefore excluded from all these laws and stuff when in my car ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I would have been cruising around on my bike with a bottle of jack in one hand, a pound of blow in the other and a hooker across the top tube.

Just make sure you wear your helmet.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Right - can everyone calm down - no attacking individual posters, and no making general comments attacking the cycling community and/or infrastructure. Specific on-topic points are fine (and the topic is "driving behaviour towards cyclists" in case anyone has forgotten)

Beasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

niceonetom wrote: »
    The swedes are now inventing a means to make hitting cyclists with your saab no big deal.

airbag-inflated.jpg

Funny take on it here:
    http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2010/10/swelled-head-shock-of-pneumatic.html

On the other hand, it's easy to fake one of these collars (pre-expansion), so maybe it's a stalking horse to undermine mandatory helmet laws.

What happens if you put the collar on your shoulders back to front? Suffocation?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

PAULWATSON: One month ban for trollerisation of the cycling forum.

Advertisement