Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon D90...bargain alert?

• 04-06-2010 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

Just spotted this on another forum

Nikon D90 Body for £604.30 delivered. There's a £60 cash back offer from Nikon too....so the price drops to £544.30 or €654.37* delivered!:cool: Seems pretty good to me!

*Conversion by XE.com

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

delivered in the UK. no mention of charges for delivering to ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Delivery should be free to Rep of Ireland too...it generally is with Amazon. I've ordered lots of things from them before and have benefited from free shipping. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Do Amazon ship cameras and lens to Ireland?
    I tried ordering a lens from them during the week only to be greeted with a message saying we cannot deliver this item to your jurisdiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

paulusdu wrote: »
    I tried ordering a lens from them during the week only to be greeted with a message saying we cannot deliver this item to your jurisdiction.

AFAIK Amazon themselves do (although for specific items you'll have to go through the checkout procedure I guess to make sure), but if you're getting something through some amazon 3rd party seller it's entirely down to themselves whether or not they ship here.

Only 2 left atm...I'm sorely tempted to upgrade my D80 backup body, but my missus would kill me!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

paulusdu wrote: »

It depends on the seller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

am trying to decide whether i can justify a move from my olympus system to a D90; herself has a D40, so does anyone know if there's an issue using (for example) the sigma 70-300mm *with* the motor (bought for the D40) on the D90?

am trying to decide whether i can justify a move from my olympus system to a D90; herself has a D40, so does anyone know if there's an issue using (for example) the sigma 70-300mm *with* the motor (bought for the D40) on the D90?

Nope, all AFS lenses (and whatever Sigma call theirs) will work find with all Nikon bodies. Or at least Nikon bodies from the F4 onwards, and omitting some of the cheaper entry level film bodies.

sound; i bought the olympus system because with the manual adapter, it allowed the use of all my OM zuiko lenses.
    problem is, the viewfinder is so small (and with no split microprism) it's near impossible to tell when a shot is in focus. so the main reason for buying the E500 came to naught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Hmm, just got a D90 + 16-85 from Bermingham's for €1200. The 16-85 was listed at €530, so even allowing for a bit of discount on that it makes the body alone good value. Go in with a load of cash and see what they'll do.

Sometimes bricks'n'morter can compete.

• Advertisement

did you get to shop around much? what were the other shops offering on the same combination?

anyone any comments on how a decent secondhand D200 would stack up against a D90? bar the lack of video, what would the D200 lose out on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

See my other post under Birmingham (sic) Cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 att73

did you get to shop around much? what were the other shops offering on the same combination?

anyone any comments on how a decent secondhand D200 would stack up against a D90? bar the lack of video, what would the D200 lose out on?

Mid to high ISO - no doubt about that & to a lesser extent the dynamic range, besides that gorgeous LCD! The JPGs from the D200 are useless, to see its potential you MUST shoot raw.

att73 wrote: »
    Mid to high ISO - no doubt about that & to a lesser extent the dynamic range, besides that gorgeous LCD! The JPGs from the D200 are useless, to see its potential you MUST shoot raw.

The flipside is that the D200 will meter with old MF AIS lenses, which none of the consumer level bodies will. This allows you to stick anything at all on the front of the camera and have it meter properly, bellows or other lenses through adapters, reversal adapters etc etc. I'd regard this as invaluable. The D300 is the D90 generation version of the D200, but I'd probably get a D200 over a D90 given the choice. Build quality is probably better as well.

att73 wrote: »
    The flipside is that the D200 will meter with old MF AIS lenses, which none of the consumer level bodies will. This allows you to stick anything at all on the front of the camera and have it meter properly, bellows or other lenses through adapters, reversal adapters etc etc. I'd regard this as invaluable. The D300 is the D90 generation version of the D200, but I'd probably get a D200 over a D90 given the choice. Build quality is probably better as well.
    STOP COMPLICATING THINGS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

WOw,, didnt know this at all, do you have the D200 or speaking from information gleamed over time ?

sunny2004 wrote: »
    WOw,, didnt know this at all, do you have the D200 or speaking from information gleamed over time ?

I half heartedly look into getting a digital body every now and again, so i've kept up with new releases. None of the consumer level bodies will meter with AIS lenses and in addition none of them have that mechanical linkage on the mount to allow for the aperture indexing. Cost savings for nikon, plus diffrentiation for the 'prosumer' bodies. There's no actual technical reason why they couldn't have enabled stop down metering at least.
    The D100 D200 D300 D700 and above have the ai following tab and will meter with anything you stick in front of them.
    Build quality thing is just a guess, they generally built the DXXX models a little better than the DXX ones, but I could well be wrong on that score.

the build quality is better on the D300 than on the D90; more magnesium and less plastic in the construction, afaik.

the build quality is better on the D300 than on the D90; more magnesium and less plastic in the construction, afaik.

there is no camparison between the Build of the D200 and the D90.. I have both...

I really hate the Jpegs from the d200.. hence this thread, and my purchase of my second D90, but I have a d200 in the drawer I dont use but after reading the posts above I might take it out again, its practially un-used. shame to have it sitting there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

there is no camparison between the Build of the D200 and the D90.. I have both...

I really hate the Jpegs from the d200.. hence this thread, and my purchase of my second D90, but I have a d200 in the drawer I dont use but after reading the posts above I might take it out again, its practially un-used. shame to have it sitting there..

So does that mean that the build quality is the same, or that the D90 is better?

I'm now very confused, as I was about to pull the trigger on a D90 as an upgrade to the D50, but now I'm wondering if it's better to get a second hand D200.... always shooting RAW, it doesn't matter to me how bad the JPG quality is

• Advertisement

So does that mean that the build quality is the same, or that the D90 is better?

I'm now very confused, as I was about to pull the trigger on a D90 as an upgrade to the D50, but now I'm wondering if it's better to get a second hand D200.... always shooting RAW, it doesn't matter to me how bad the JPG quality is

get the D90. My priorities are differant in that I have a pile of old AIS glass, adapted lenses and reversal rings in F-mount, macro bellows etc. I wouldn't be able to use any of those things trivially with the D90. Ideally nowadays I'd pick up a D300 or D700 instead naturally :D

The build quality of the D200 is totally different, its metal feeling, tough, the d90 is not in the same league build quality... I have both...

D90 has better sensor and electronic gubbins, better iso capabilities and has HD video...D200 body is more robust, can meter with older glass but suffers in high iso situations.I've a D300 with a D80 as backup...if I were to upgrade the D80 I'd personally choose the D90 over the D200.
    Horses for courses. :)

Nforce wrote: »
    D90 has better sensor and electronic gubbins, better iso capabilities and has HD video...D200 body is more robust, can meter with older glass but suffers in high iso situations.I've a D300 with a D80 as backup...if I were to upgrade the D80 I'd personally choose the D90 over the D200.
    Horses for courses. :)

I agree, if you are coming from a d50 then get the d90...

I agree, if you are coming from a d50 then get the d90...

Fair enough folks, I'll go back to my original plan so! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I've a D90 great piece of kit, but if you can swing the price a D300 will keep you happier longer. :)

I've a D90 great piece of kit, but if you can swing the price a D300 will keep you happier longer. :)

Yes indeed, but it's 700 quid more for the D300 -1500 euro against 800 for the D90, and that'll be a stretch!

get the D90. My priorities are differant in that I have a pile of old AIS glass, adapted lenses and reversal rings in F-mount, macro bellows etc. I wouldn't be able to use any of those things trivially with the D90. Ideally nowadays I'd pick up a D300 or D700 instead naturally :D
    handy guide:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm#dslr

• Advertisement

yeah, ken rockwell is good for something all right :)

was in gunn's last night, and they had a secondhand D300 in stock.
    they don't anymore.

was in gunn's last night, and they had a secondhand D300 in stock.
    they don't anymore.

oh nice one (presuming you actually bought it), best of both worlds. How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking ?

€800. it's quite clean, and has 15,000 actuations.

also got the 35mm f1.8 - handy because herself has the D40 and 50mm 1.8, which means she's no autofocus with that lens, so if she takes the 35mm and i take the 50mm, everyone is happy.

€800. it's quite clean, and has 15,000 actuations.

also got the 35mm f1.8 - handy because herself has the D40 and 50mm 1.8, which means she's no autofocus with that lens, so if she takes the 35mm and i take the 50mm, everyone is happy.

That's a good deal all right. I guess with a 6 month or 1 year guarantee as well ? good stuff.

six months, i think. the lens wasn't included in the €800, mind.

• Advertisement

That's a good deal all right. I guess with a 6 month or 1 year guarantee as well ? good stuff.

A tad expensive I'd have thought.....mine cost me a lot less well over a year ago and with only ~4-5k actuations.

Nforce wrote: »
    A tad expensive I'd have thought.....mine cost me a lot less well over a year ago and with only ~4-5k actuations.

Where did you get it as a matter of interest ? Price MB paid is probably on the mid range of completed EBay listings, plus he's bought from a reputable retail outlet with a 6 month guarantee.

I bought it off a photography site from a chap in London. No warranty..but none needed,thankfully, as the camera was/is mint...and came in original box with all the accessories and unused Nikon software.

yep, mine was boxed with all the original contents, in the bags.

Wear well,MB.:)

• Advertisement

cheers - i'm trying to figure out a good way to christen the time lapse function.

very happy so far - here's one of the first shots (just wandered out at lunchtime), taken through glass; straight off the camera before i'd started twiddling some of the settings.
    only PP was to straighten horizontals slightly. taken with the 35mm F1.8 at f5.6.

http://stroma.org/kevin/Picture009.jpg

image is 2.4MB, hence no image tags.

two drawbacks i've found with the D300 so far - first may be something fixable in the menu (considering i never did a reset to factory default on it) - long exposures tend to come out oversaturated; they don't have the muted colours you'd expect in low light. it's as if colour registers more than light level when you do long exposures.

second, and this i was surprised by; it's not able to detect a change in light levels midway through a shot. i need to play around more to see if this happens in all metering modes, but last night i took a shot with the camera pointing at the ground, and then waved it around towards a source of brighter light - and it didn't change the indicated shutter speed from when it was pointing at the ground.

DSC_2401.jpg

edit: balls, i did a full OS reinstall recently - just before i got the camera and think i have my colour profiles arseways. i was blaming the camera.

second, and this i was surprised by; it's not able to detect a change in light levels midway through a shot. i need to play around more to see if this happens in all metering modes, but last night i took a shot with the camera pointing at the ground, and then waved it around towards a source of brighter light - and it didn't change the indicated shutter speed from when it was pointing at the ground.

There are probably a couple of archaic cameras or metering systems that do this (my SX-70 does it for example, and I think my XA) but as far as I'm aware there isn't a single DSLR or indeed SLR* that I know of that'll do it. The metering is done before the mirror flips up and the shutter opens, once that happens it's set and doesn't change.

*I have some vague recollection of some SLR or rangefinder that metered off the film as the shot was being taken but I can't quite recall which.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

two drawbacks i've found with the D300 so far - first may be something fixable in the menu (considering i never did a reset to factory default on it) - long exposures tend to come out oversaturated; they don't have the muted colours you'd expect in low light. it's as if colour registers more than light level when you do long exposures.

even in raw?

camera was taking in sRGB, i was processing in camera RAW as adobe RGB. i assume that has a lot to do with it; i can see a marked difference if i open a file as sRGB compared to adobe RGB.

*I have some vague recollection of some SLR or rangefinder that metered off the film as the shot was being taken but I can't quite recall which.
    i have this in my olympus OM2SP and OM4Ti; a quick google shows that it's not quite as common as i'd thought.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

camera was taking in sRGB, i was processing in camera RAW as adobe RGB. i assume that has a lot to do with it; i can see a marked difference if i open a file as sRGB compared to adobe RGB.

damn gamuts :)

Advertisement