Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STS-133/Discovery

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

Tim Kopra.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24302.0;attach=276485;image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/8356656/Amateur-photographer-captures-space-shuttle-from-back-garden.html

Bit of a grainy pic but i think we'll let him away with it considering the distance!!! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Crew enjoying some time off today after the successful second spacewalk yesterday. They are talking about adding another extra day to the flight which would move landing to next Wednesday.
    iss026e031101.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Whats happening here http://www.spacevidcast.com/ showing stuff coming from space into the sea,is it live or from old footage ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

CO19 wrote: »
    Whats happening here http://www.spacevidcast.com/ showing stuff coming from space into the sea,is it live or from old footage ?
    The're showing coverage from the STS-133 launch. The cameras were mounted on the SRB's {Solid Rocket Boosters} and show them seperating from the Shuttle stack and parachuting into the Atlantic. Very Cool.

Take a look at the footage here:)
    http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/archive/sts-133/day8/replay6.php

Getting Discovery ready to fly

Extra day granted to Discovery. Undocking now on mon 7 March at 12:03pm Irish time and landing on Wednesday 9 March at 16:58 Irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

Beeker wrote: »
    The're showing coverage from the STS-133 launch. The cameras were mounted on the SRB's {Solid Rocket Boosters} and show them seperating from the Shuttle stack and parachuting into the Atlantic. Very Cool.

H O L Y C O W :eek:

We're thinking

• Advertisement

When those rockets fall into the sea do they send someone out to pick them up or just leave them floating around the ocean for anyone to take ?

I always thought when the shuttle dropped the rockets that they just burnt up in the atmosphere ,I presume they ensure that they fall into the sea and not over a country :D ?

CO19 wrote: »
    When those rockets fall into the sea do they send someone out to pick them up or just leave them floating around the ocean for anyone to take ?[

Lol CO19 no they recover the white Solid Rocket Boosters which seperate and parachute into the sea only slightly more than two minutes after launch.
    the SRBs are re-used
    the orange external tank stays attached for about nine minutes after launch when outer Space has been reached.it burns up as it re-enters the atmosphere

picture shows the ship Liberty star with a recovered SRB.Liberty has been collecting debris from launchs since America first sent man into space.
    A)because the Russkies would steal it!:)
    B)to remove hazards to other shipping
    c)to collect the shuttles SRBs refurbish and reuse them.

800px-Liberty_Star_with_SRB_after_STS-87.jpg

clln wrote: »
    Lol CO19 no they recover the white Solid Rocket Boosters which seperate and parachute into the sea only slightly more than two minutes after launch.
    the SRBs are re-used
    the orange external tank stays attached for about nine minutes after launch when outer Space has been reached.it burns up as it re-enters the atmosphere

picture shows the ship Liberty star with a recovered SRB.Liberty has been collecting debris from launchs since America first sent man into space.
    A)because the Russkies would steal it!:)
    B)to remove hazards to other shipping
    c)to collect the shuttles SRBs refurbish and reuse them.

:D thanks for that ,yea I was thinking there's no way would they just leave them floating around :D .

It's crazy how although the American's and Russian's work together on the station that they're still weary of one another.

Have they only the one ship to go and collect the rockets ? from the footage of them coming back down it looks like each rocket went different sides of the world or at least 100's of miles apart in the ocean

Edit: Found my answers here :Dhttp://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/behindscenes/recovery_ships.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Extra day granted to Discovery. Undocking now on mon 7 March at 12:03pm Irish time and landing on Wednesday 9 March at 16:58 Irish time.

G Beeker , they made LL a mod :eek:
    Can we still slag him ? :p

Stargate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

lord lucan wrote: »
    Some great shots there Beeker of the sound suppression system in action. 300,000 Gallons of water pouring onto the MLP.:)

Dont forgot to flush the loo LL :D Plenty damping needed haha

You have your name is big fancy letters LL , what happened you :)
    First it was the motorbike sig , and now big letters haha :cool:

Today Sunday is Discovery's last full flight day attached to the ISS.
    the two extra docked days have paid of well as what would have taken weeks for the station crew to accomplish,ie the unpacking of the PMM and the filling of the HTV with garbage are all but done.
    twelve hands on deck on the ISS instead of the three it will be reduced to March 15th when a Soyuz brings 3 of the ISS crewmembers home.
    Discovery will be leaving the station in great shape including a full tank of Oxegyn.

have heard but not had it confirmed that some changes have been made to milestone event timings because of the extra two days.
    if anyone can find the schedule with a timezone stamp on it would they post it please?:)

below is the times for de-orbit and landing opportunities on Wed/Thur/FRI in EST, so five hours to be added in Ireland.
    If Discovery lands on wednesday it will in its lifetime have spent 365 days in space!:)
    never mind any other website that claims it was them who worked that out as it was in fact the present crew who did so.how neat if it works out!:)

ORBIT....DEORBIT......LANDING....SITE Wednesday Orbit 202......10:55 AM.....11:58 AM...Kennedy Space Center, 203......12:31 PM.....01:33 PM...KSC, Thursday 217......09:40 AM.....10:44 AM...KSC, 218......11:12 AM.....12:16 PM...Northrup Strip.........11:16 AM.....12:19 PM...KSC .219......12:46 PM.....01:49 PM...Edwards Air Force Base.........12:48 PM.....01:51 PM...NOR, 220......02:22 PM.....03:24 PM...EDW.........02:24 PM.....03:26 PM...NOR, ,Friday 233......10:01 AM.....11:05 AM...KSC, 234......11:33 AM.....12:37 PM...NOR.........11:38 AM.....12:41 PM...KSC, 235......01:07 PM.....02:10 PM...EDW.........01:09 PM.....02:12 PM...NOR, 236......02:44 PM.....03:46 PM...Edwards
    in case anybody is saying "Hey what about Saturday" dont worry they will land it on your street if if they have to!:D

UPDATE:
    the crew of Discovery were woken at 08.23 GMT to the song 'Spaceship superstar' by Prism!
    Mondays wake up call will be the theme from Star Trek....not joking!

managed to nail down with certainty some definate times for key events from saturdays mission status briefing.

today; Hatch closing at 20.30 GMT.
    before that transfer of anything to go back into Discovery will continue from the ISS.

Monday;Undocking from ISS at 12.00 GMT.
    Flyaround begins at 12.30 GMT.

Wednesday; De-orbit burn at 15.55 GMT.
    Landing; 16.58 GMT.

undocking is subject to a meeting today betweem STS and ISS managers to give a go/no go,but i would be astonished if that is not a formality.

De-orbit and landing time is subject to the always reliable perfect weather at KSC.:p
    report on weather for Wednesday is GO at this moment!

Link to mission status briefing that gave the timings above;

http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6519

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Stargate wrote: »
    Dont forgot to flush the loo LL :D Plenty damping needed haha

You have your name is big fancy letters LL , what happened you :)
    First it was the motorbike sig , and now big letters haha :cool:

I'm going up in the world Stargate!:pac:

Feckin' working for landing unfortunately,unless it gets delayed until friday.;)

Long media event with Discovery & ISS crew. Some lovely tributes to Discovery included.:)

Another classic from Mike Massimino on his Capcom shift today!:D
    Steve Robinson was talking to the crew, and Mike picked up acting like a telemarketer.

"Thank you for your call. We know you have a selection of vehicles to choose from and we thank you for choosing ISS"

• Advertisement

Discovery's crew back onboard,closing the hatch now. Undock due at 12.00 on Monday afternoon.

Some nice quotes and pics from the farewell and hatch closing which in the end was surprisingly short.

Commanders Lindsey and Kelly giving words,Shuttle crew are in blue.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24345.0;attach=277842;image

Commander Kelly - was a very successful time. Most of all we're going to miss Discovery. A great ship. We wish her fair seas and following winds.

heading back to Discovery;

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24345.0;attach=277850;image

Tributes from the flight director on the ground are met with tributes from the Crews;
    FD Royce Renfrew: "I think we've got enough prop on the vehicle for light speed.

"I want to take the opportunity to tell everyone it's been an honor and privilage to work with you. I feel really proud to take Discovery home at the top of her game. You guys rock."

Commander Kelly: "You guys are the unsung heroes. All your folks that have worked on this should be very proud."

"I've watched you work this mission from the begining. I've watched the replans of the mission four times. It's real testomony to keep us focused and make this a success. We were just executors. Thank you for all that you do.

ISS Commander Scott Kelly looking forlorn after bidding 133s crew farewell and closing one of the three hatchs between the ISS and Discovery,earlier he had joked they had been his only visitors in 0ver 150 days.
    He will be home mid March though,really tough time for him not being able to have been with his twin Brother Mark when Marks wife Congresswoman Gifford was shot in the head.
    Mark Kelly is the Commander of the next Shuttle mission,if things had gone as planned the Kelly Brothers would have been the first twins in space.....but it was not to be.

My other big regret about this mission is the Soyuz fly-around did not happen.What a sight it would have been!:(

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24345.0;attach=277855;image

Difficult to find time to watch video's,especially this crazy past two weeks were so much was on offer for A&S fans.
    this 12 minute one is well worth the effort though.IMO.

official hatch closing time was 21.19 GMT, Sunday March the 6th 2011!
    Discovery and the ISS had been open hatched since docking for;

7 Days-23 hours and 55 minutes.
    important to get these facts right for Discoverys final mission!:)

hope ya'll are lining up a special musical tribute of your own for when (touchs wood) Discovery comes to her final wheel stop!

This Texan is quite overcome with grief........

Difficult to find time to watch video's,especially this crazy past two weeks were so much was on offer for A&S fans.
    this 12 minute one is well worth the effort though.IMO.

official hatch closing time was 21.19 GMT, Sunday March the 6th 2011!
    Discovery and the ISS had been open hatched since docking for;

7 Days-23 hours and 55 minutes.
    important to get these facts right for Discoverys final mission!:)

hope ya'll are lining up a special musical tribute of your own for when (touchs wood) Discovery comes to her final wheel stop!

This Texan salutes you and Double L etc.

eilejh wrote: »
    This Texan salutes you and Double L etc.

Thank you eilejh for your always kind words,and in typical Discovery Texan style do not look down your nose on anybody

521155main_1874_946-710.jpg

<H3>Discovery's Final FliP

This view of the nose, the forward underside and crew cabin of the space shuttle Discovery was provided by an Expedition 26 crew member during a survey of the approaching STS-133 vehicle prior to docking with the International Space Station. As part of the survey and part of every mission's activities, Discovery performed a back-flip for the rendezvous pitch maneuver (RPM). The image was photographed with a digital still camera, using a 400mm lens at a distance of about 600 feet
    </H3>This Irishman salutes you,Texas and the USA for giving us the wonderful peaceful scientific and thrilling Spacecrafts that have given humanity so much for so long!

• Advertisement

Tonight I love you my Irishmen. Thank you for your dedication.

eilejh wrote: »
    Tonight I love you my Irishmen. Thank you for your dedication.[/QUO\
    ]
    Godspeed

Stargate wrote: »
    G Beeker , they made LL a mod :eek:
    Can we still slag him ? :p

Stargate
    All hail the mighty Lord Lucan:D

Undocking and fly around due just after 12:00 today. Heading out now and hopefulyl back in time for it:)

You better get back in time Beeker!
    also You the mighty Lord lucan,
    i will be erm 'Hailing' you both near mid-day:)
    dont leave me on my own crying here:(

todays wake-up call at link below,as you's know it went to a public vote and alongside that a contest for people to either write their own song or select from a list.

yesterday's was the MC room staffs choice.
    today the trekkies got their way as they did with the name of the test Orbiter Enterprise'
    tomorrow the winner is announced.
    just a bit of fun but these little things are what make NASA so endearing!

https://songcontest.nasa.gov/home.aspx

• Advertisement

The wake up song this morning was the Star Trek Original Soundtrack but with a twist. They got William Shatner to re-record the opening monologue("Space,the final frontier etc. etc.") and replaced Enterprise with Discovery. Here's how it read:

"Space, the final frontier. These have been the voyages of the Space Shuttle Discovery. Her 30-year mission: To seek out new science. To build new outposts. To bring nations together on the final frontier. To boldly go, and do, what no spacecraft has done before."

I'm not a Star Trek fan but gotta admit that was pretty cool.:)

Beeker in position, and go for undocking:D

All hail the mighty Lord Lucan:D

********Waves Regally*************

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Capcom is Steve Robinson, I had the pleasure of meeting Steve back in 1999, great guy:)

Station to ground Comm check...... Ah hi LL:)

OH look they stole your model!
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=277958;image

last screenshot of the docked crafts on the NSF forum;

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=277998;image

The url for Ustream which you converted me to launch day is diffrient today;

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nasa-hd-tv

There she goes for the final time:(

And there she goes,her final visit to the ISS over.:(

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278012;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278015;image

hope the KU is good for flyaround,usually is but sometimes LOS at just the wrong time:(

• Advertisement

Station to ground Comm check...... Ah hi LL:)

OH look they stole your model!
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=277958;image

They can have the model of Discovery,they won't be getting Atlantis off of me!:p

They can have the model of Discovery,they won't be getting Atlantis off of me!:p

:D:D:D

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278029;image

Amazing structure!

Screenshot_1.jpg

Amazing structure!

Screenshot_1.jpg
    Fantastic:)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278037;image

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Amazing structure!

Screenshot_1.jpg

Your own Screenshot M'Lord,Clln impressed!
    you may wave regally again:D

flyaround started at 12.23 by my timing.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278041;image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Wow this is amazing, I missed the inital undocking tho:(

Advertisement