Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STS-133/Discovery

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

MoonDancer wrote: »
    Wow this is amazing, I missed the inital undocking tho:(
    Never fear:)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Beeker, make us all jealous, do you have this on the big screen again??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Whoa!! You are deadly! Thanks a million!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

MoonDancer wrote: »
    Beeker, make us all jealous, do you have this on the big screen again??? :D
    Sure do, with a big mug of tea right in front of me!:)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278046;image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Screenshot_4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

You's here them say station cameras cant find Discoverybecause ISS is so large now? :D

Shuttle 725 feet away from station now.

Almost halfway through the flyaround now.
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278050;image

Beeker wrote: »
    Sure do, with a big mug of tea right in front of me!:)

not forgetting your ugly mug in space,and the beautiful Mrs Beeker who does not even know she is there too!:pac:

Screenshot_5.jpg

• Advertisement

I love it, what a sight! Beautiful to see:)
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278056;image

Screenshot_6.jpg

clln wrote: »
    not forgetting your ugly mug in space,and the beautiful Mrs Beeker who does not even know she is there too!:pac:
    :D:D:D

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278058;image

She looks gorgeous.:o

Screenshot_8.jpg

Screenshot_10.jpg

Over the atlantic approaching Africa
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278064;image

Screenshot_11.jpg

Over the Sahara desert
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278072;image

nice shot of the arm with camera at tip that will check the Thermal Protction System later today.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278068;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278078;image

• Advertisement

Screenshot_12.jpg

This is stunning, fantastic video:) Crossing Italy now.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278084;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278088;image

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

What a sight from the camera's ! Why does it need to 'fly around' ? might seem like a stupid question but why can't it just fly straight back down to where it's going to land without having to do all this ?

Screenshot_13.jpg

Screenshot_14.jpg

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278094;image

CO19 wrote: »
    What a sight from the camera's ! Why does it need to 'fly around' ? might seem like a stupid question but why can't it just fly straight back down to where it's going to land without having to do all this ?

They take pics of the entire ISS for study back on Earth,test for any signs of structural decay.
    welcome again CO19!:)

The flyaround is done to allow the opportunity to document through video and photos the current state of the station after new parts have been added. They will now seperate and the shuttle crew will store away loose items on board conduct a final inspection on the tile system and test the systems for reentry and landing. This take a day or two so Discovery will land on Wednesday.

They will now seperate and the shuttle crew will store away loose items on board conduct a final inspection on the tile system and test the systems for reentry and landing. This take a day or two so Discovery will land on Wednesday.

Thanks :) you'd think they'd do all that while it's docked to the station and not when they're about to go back into the earth,least if they discovered something wrong they could fix it while docked.

Beeker thank God sagan for such good KU;)
    thought you might be interested that Patrick Moore now well into his eighties chose the pale blue dot as his favourite picture of all time and he has seen some photo's in his life.

700th show to be repeated at 7.30 PM Tuesday on BBC4 if you can get that channel.

that flyaround was spiritual experiance for me.........i am lost for superlatives.

• Advertisement

Thanks :) you'd think they'd do all that while it's docked to the station and not when they're about to go back into the earth,least if they discovered something wrong they could fix it while docked.
    Well they do inspect the tiles before docking, which allows them the chance to repair is needed. The final inspection is done as a extra safety check to ensure they missed nothing. Most to the storage can only be done at the jast minute as it is items they are still using like laptops , cameras etc...

Flyaround complete and now they seperate
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278102;image

They test while they can still re-dock if a tile or the carbon on the wing edge was found to be damaged.

they test after undocking for fear the arm might damage the station while inspecting the shuttle.

Beeker thank God sagan for such good KU;)
    thought you might be interested that Patrick Moore now well into his eighties chose the pale blue dot as his favourite picture of all time and he has seen some photo's in his life.

700th show to be repeated at 7.30 PM Tuesday on BBC4 if you can get that channel.

that flyaround was spiritual experiance for me.........i am lost for superlatives.
    Thanks clln, I must watch that Tuesday:) Pale Blue Dot is one of my favourite photos also.
    Like yourself it is also a spiritual experience for me.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    The wake up song this morning was the Star Trek Original Soundtrack but with a twist. They got William Shatner to re-record the opening monologue("Space,the final frontier etc. etc.") and replaced Enterprise with Discovery. Here's how it read:

"Space, the final frontier. These have been the voyages of the Space Shuttle Discovery. Her 30-year mission: To seek out new science. To build new outposts. To bring nations together on the final frontier. To boldly go, and do, what no spacecraft has done before."

I'm not a Star Trek fan but gotta admit that was pretty cool.:)

And here's the aforementioned wake up call.:D

• Advertisement

And here's the aforementioned wake up call.:D

It would melt a heart of stone LL.

here is the current weather forecast for Wednesday from Spaceflight now.
    The early weather forecast for the Kennedy Space Center calls for acceptable conditions at the landing site. The outlook includes scattered clouds at 3,000 and 20,000 feet, seven miles of visibility, southeasterly winds from 120 degrees of 15 peaking to 21 knots.

Here is MR M T Cranium's forecast which he sent me by PM overnight.used with his full permission.
    i had hoped he would post on this thread for some competition to Kathy Winters just for a bit of craic.
    Thanks for the kind words, I had a look at the landing situation weather and it looks fine in Florida on Wednesday, however, I'm not very familiar with the conditions they need to have for the glide back into the upper atmosphere and there is a front about 400 miles west of the KSC that would have thunderstorms reaching 35,000 ft. Seems to me they would be much higher than that around that location, so I would expect they will land in Florida. The west coast weather meanwhile also looks fairly good on the Thursday.
    You can quote whatever part of that you want in the astronomy thread. == MTC
    sorry LL but it is looking good at the mo.i know wed/Thur is bad you.:o

There she is the big Diva, checking herself all over,making sure she looks her best for her admiring fans when she lands:)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278131;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278132;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24363.0;attach=278133;image

Mission control telling her she looks beautiful........... but she is insisting on a spacewalk to get her hair just right and her nails done :pac:

Discovery is right at the point in the timeline it should be today.

the urine dump earlier was perceived as UFO's by the chatters on USTREAM,they are adamant about it......... expect big increase in CTs by the Constellation NIT-WITS!:D

Here's the wake up call put to some stunning footage of STS-133 by NASA and was running on the public channel a while ago.

sorry LL but it is looking good at the mo.i know wed/Thur is bad you.:o

Ah well,guess i'll have to hide in the jacks and watch it on my phone.;)

Here's the wake up call put to some stunning footage of STS-133 by NASA and was running on the public channel a while ago.

Great stuff:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

How horrible that is! Talking only about the music...I hope that is a joke by Double L ha ha.

Ah well,guess i'll have to hide in the jacks and watch it on my phone.;)
    Good man, a man after my own heart. Go anywhere, do anything, whatever it takes to follow the Shuttle:D

Theres a few of you here that could power the shuttle on enthuasiasm alone:)

Love it.
    :D

Good man, a man after my own heart. Go anywhere, do anything, whatever it takes to follow the Shuttle:D

Especially with so little time left in he programme,every precious moment counts.

Jake1 wrote: »
    Theres a few of you here that could power the shuttle on enthuasiasm alone:)

Love it.
    :D

Have a look for us in the Bereavement forum after the summer.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Have a look for us in the Bereavement forum after the summer.:(

Definitely. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

There have been space shuttle missions since before I was born I'll certainly miss Discovery, along with her sister ships (ships right?!?) after they are gone....

One question that came to mind on reading that there were 39 missions, how much is left of the shuttle which first flew in 1984? I understand the shuttle fleet undergoes an extensive overhaul between missions, something which those against the use of a re-usable craft used highlight because of its high cost.

Is the original airframe actually still intact?

When something is so awesome words fail you....................12 minutes of bliss!!!!!

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=69829481

So it looks like we're not going to get to see the shuttle fly over Ireland anyway from the looks of things here http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=Ireland&region=None&city=Dublin :( ,first time I've ever seen a full week of no sightings at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

There have been space shuttle missions since before I was born I'll certainly miss Discovery, along with her sister ships (ships right?!?) after they are gone....

One question that came to mind on reading that there were 39 missions, how much is left of the shuttle which first flew in 1984? I understand the shuttle fleet undergoes an extensive overhaul between missions, something which those against the use of a re-usable craft used highlight because of its high cost.

Is the original airframe actually still intact?

her sister ships are Atlantis and Endeavour, the shuttles have been in use since 1981, 30 years or so and in that period tecnology will have advanced a whole lot, especially the computers systems. id say that at least 90% of Discovery has been changed/replaced over the years though i dont know for sure

• Advertisement
Advertisement