Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-133/Discovery

Options
1404142434446»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

lord lucan wrote: »
    Rather strange way to watch a landing. Ended up watching it on a tv on Pier E in T2 at Dublin airport. Sadly none of the passengers waiting for EI 176 seemed interested in the unfolding history on the tv screen.:(

What an amazing vehicle. Delighted she's home safe and sound. All that remains is for her to go somewhere nice where she can be well cared for and people can marvel at her and appreciate her achievements.:)

badly missed you today LL!:)

Presser has just started with crew on NTV

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

clln wrote: »
    badly missed you today LL!:)

You can be sure for Atlantis' last flight that i'll pull every favour going so i can be off to watch her launch and land. Strange not being on Boards whilst watching landing,felt like i was the only one paying attention to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

Ok then everybody pray that I get to see her without losing my job....Pray she stays through the weekend.
    What's a life without asking for dreams to come true lol......I really mean this one God. I do.

Short but sweet Presser by the crew.
    I was hoping the joke going around that Tim Kopra keeps offering a loan of his bike to the 134 crew would be repeated :)

G'nite all and thanks all.
    if screenshot of Discovery entering OPF please post.
    what a day......... what a bitter sweet day as the saying goes!:)

• Advertisement

This video is of Discovery's first flight.it nicely completes the circle and shows very rare images of in orbit burns and even RCS burns captured during re-entry.
    of interest to any shuttle fan but proably mostly to Beeker as it was the first Shuttle launch he saw.
    it is from airspacemag.com which is affiliated to the Smithsonian.

Here are some of the bloggers observations about it;
    At the link below is, Air & Space magazine posted a video of the post-flight press conference for Discovery's first flight, STS-41D. Besides helping to remind me of some of the things Discovery and her crews have accomplished, the video was interesting for a number of reasons.

1. Interesting reminder of the different nature of the Space Shuttle Program back then, especially the satellite deploys.

2. I've read Mike Mullane's book, Riding Rockets, and it was interesting to compare what he wrote about the mission vs. this public, and official description. smiley.gif

3. The pilot, Mike Coats, Is now the Director of JSC, and it was interesting to see the way he was back then vs the way he is now.

4. It was also nice, though poignant and sad, to see and hear Judy Resnik.

To me, though, the video is a must-see for Discovery fans.

http://blogs.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/2011/03/discoverys-last-and-first-flight/

Presser has just started with crew on NTV

Starts 1 min 20 secs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Has it happened before that the station hasn't come up near Ireland for a few weeks i.e. no sightings from here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Yes. For example it's not going to be visible until 27th March according to http://www.heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544&lat=53.38563&lng=-6.06231

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

CO19 wrote: »
    Has it happened before that the station hasn't come up near Ireland for a few weeks i.e. no sightings from here ?

On my FlyBy App no sighting for two weeks ~ maybe longer so we were somewhat lucky to see Discovery and the ISS together so much.

This site has been posted a few time.

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=25544

Go to the five day prediction for your area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

tricky D wrote: »
    Yes. For example it's not going to be visible until 27th March according to http://www.heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544&lat=53.38563&lng=-6.06231
    gbee wrote: »
    On my FlyBy App no sighting for two weeks ~ maybe longer so we were somewhat lucky to see Discovery and the ISS together so much.

This site has been posted a few time.

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=25544

Go to the five day prediction for your area.

Thanks guys :) wonder why they've changed their path :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Path hasn't changed. It's still doing the same old circuit. It's simply not passing over us during the times required for us to see it which is an hour or two around sunset and sunrise.

eilejh wrote: »
    Ok then everybody pray that I get to see her without losing my job....Pray she stays through the weekend.
    What's a life without asking for dreams to come true lol......I really mean this one God. I do.

eilejh short video of the crew's welcome home at Ellington Houston.
    dont go losing your job now,it was a once off public/media event.
    Discovery is in Florida!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Discovery back in the orbiter Processing facility for the last time. She will now be decommisioned before transfer to a museum latter this year.:(

20112168m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

eilejh short video of the crew's welcome home at Ellington Houston.
    dont go losing your job now,it was a once off public/media event.
    Discovery is in Florida!!!!

Good God.............I actually contacted a brother living in H Town to alert him and he was presently in NYC. He thought there was some urgency. Well, to me there was lol. Thanks C!

Latest MaxQ video from STS-133 is up.

Download here:http://www.maxqent.com/videos/53_NSF_STS133_Fly.mpg

Edit: **** me,that's their best yet! Had the hairs on my arm standing up and tears in my eyes at the end.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

lord lucan wrote: »
    Latest MaxQ video from STS-133 is up.

Download here:http://www.maxqent.com/videos/53_NSF_STS133_Fly.mpg

Edit: **** me,that's their best yet! Had the hairs on my arm standing up and tears in my eyes at the end.
    I agree that was fantastic!:)

STS-133 boosters being recovered.

Beeker wrote: »
    STS-133 boosters being recovered.

That was terrific Beeker! TY.
    Like CO19 finding the NASA page devoted to the SRB's recovery ships,he found a page i had never come across despite how often i navigate the NASA site!
    it always brings me on a tangent!

Like Lord Lucans Max-Q video,their video's i love so much and have all their previous ones burned to DVD.

Like thecommander saying how easy it is to get updates now as the show is nearly over from so many sources.

Somebody please reply in some way as this relative newcomer does not feel worthy of being the last post on the thread of the last flight of Discovery!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

how's that?!

• Advertisement

Beeker wrote: »

Feck and darn you Beeker!
    i have not even received COMM check that you suggested on the 'Columbia 8 years on' thread.
    i have had to ignore 'the wonders of the Universe thread' because i have it recording but have not even watched first episode yet
    now you add another!:mad::)

lest this be the last post on the 133 thread,which i doubt:),
    unlike that philistine Lord Lucan:p, i would like to add some dignity to my possible final post on 133 thread.

Little goldmine link to NasaSpaceflight.com member video's i found.
    I wonder will NSF and Spaceflight now be another victim of Shuttle retirement,it has been such a great site

It requires free membership(not L2) and log-in to view or download the links,most fascinating i have watched so far was when STS-51f Challenger lost a main engine and had to Abort to orbit.
    will have way too much time after 135 to watch them all:(

VLC and Quicktime players required for some,others are youtube but worth the the effort!!!

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=9056.0

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bonzer79

Moved to Shuttle Retirement thread,better to keep it there as STS-133 is over and the orbiter is officially retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

scaled.php?tn=0&server=619&filename=jk5a.png&xsize=640&ysize=640

Advertisement