Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaker patterns

Options
  • 04-06-2010 12:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

Any hints for creating decent shaker patterns?

Where should I be putting the shaker hits? Where shouldn't I?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Put in a row of constant 16ths and accent every third one (that's a basic one)

The accenting is key for tambs/shakers - really makes them move it!

Also look into groove/swing to apply to the pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

not a pattern related tip but two things I like to use to fill the shakers out are

1. Tremolo - must be a stereo tremolo as opposed to a tremelo that just modulates the amplitude (hope that makes sense). Mess around and you can really get some nice movement going.

2. Slight delay on one side - we're talking a couple of milliseconds here. Pushes the shakers right out the sides of the mix.

As far as patterns, make sure you're accentuating at least one 16th note every 4. Otherwise it just sounds a little flat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Thanks guys. I've tried that out and have now got a better grip on what I'm doing.

I was going about it the wrong way and driving myself nuts.

I've just begun to get my ableton working properly.

I'm trying get used to pencilling drums. On my Roland, I would use the arpeggiator (all the arpeggios have accents), and the hold button, and then twist some knobs until it did something that sounded reasonable. I never really had a clue what I was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Dramatik

If you record a straight bar of 1/16 notes then modualte the amplitude with the ramp down LFO at 3/16 you can get a nice pattern.

Advertisement