Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping a subject. Is it too late?

Options
  • 04-06-2010 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I don't want to do French for my leaving cert but in that sheet we got at school with our list of subjects on it to see were they right and had the right level I have it down as one of my subjects. Does anyone know how I can take French off that list? I know I could just not turn up on the day but I don't want French down on my sheet with my exam results as an NG. Does anyone know anything about this?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

I dropped chemistry, and it's down on the sheet thingy, and tbh it doesn't bother me that I'm going to have an NG because I didn't turn up for the exam, big deal, I'm not going to be waving it around.

Are you sure you want to drop french though? Dropping a foreign language could rule you out of certain universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Alice10 wrote: »
    I don't want to do French for my leaving cert but in that sheet we got at school with our list of subjects on it to see were they right and had the right level I have it down as one of my subjects. Does anyone know how I can take French off that list? I know I could just not turn up on the day but I don't want French down on my sheet with my exam results as an NG. Does anyone know anything about this?!

why don't you just do it...You don't even need to study for it if you don't want to. Just go in on the day and do the exam...the D3 you get might be the extra few points you needed to get into college. Give it a lash. Imagine you missed out on your course by 5 points and all you needed was a pass in French!
    Go into that exam, do NOT leave early, write as much as you can, and who knows!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Erica<3 wrote: »
    I dropped chemistry, and it's down on the sheet thingy, and tbh it doesn't bother me that I'm going to have an NG because I didn't turn up for the exam, big deal, I'm not going to be waving it around.

You won't have a NG if you do not sit the exam.
    NG is a mark of between 0-10% on a marked script. No script, no mark.

If you had already done a partial element of the exam, like an oral or project, you would get a grade based on the marks already got without sitting the written exam.

The superintendent will just fill out a form explaining you did not show up for the exam, otherwise SEC staff in Athlone would go mental looking for your non-existent script.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

as far as i know...you just dont turn up
    but you can also turn up and either tell them you want to do ordinary if your higher or tell threm you dont want to do the exam

if your still not sure talk to your principal as he/she has to send of a letter to get a student exempt from irish ..maybe he/she might know somthing none of us do......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I thought the only way you can drop french is to do another language e.g. german or spanish in its place .. isn't a language a compulsory subject on LC?

The "other" subjects like biology, chemistry I know you can cross over and take the exams even if you didn't attend the courses..(unless there is a pre-leaving project part).

I never wanted to do Biology, but was forced to due to all places been taken in another subject, never attended class (in mind anyhow).

I didn't do it for leaving cert.. and took Home Economics instead on the day, teachers went a bit mental though hehe. Never even looked at the books and got an honor :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Just take the ordinary paper on the day if you're that fussed. It'd be a real mistake to not go. Later in life, even if you have ordinary level, having done a foreign language for the LC will really stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

I dropped Japanese a few weeks ago, and if I had done so later the secretary said it would cost money, but I could always just not turn up for the exam. I already do another language, and in your case I would echo other people here and at least doing French at Ordinary Level?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Try do it at Ordinary level - it's Simple.
    The hardest thing on it is writing a diary entry and even that's easy. It's a ridiculous jump between OL and HL so really just sit the Ordinary level because if you want to get into most uni's you'll need the language and it's very easy to get a B or C at OL in french.
    I wouldn't drop it at all, you've come This far and it's only an exam - there's little over 2 weeks to go and it'll take about an hour or two to revise a few key sentences for the ordinary level paper. Just go for it rather than dropping it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Alice10

I failed my pre by 10% and I think I would probably fail the real one too. I'd just prefer not to do it as I dont need it for anything and it'd be so much less stress. I don't think there is any point doing OL if I'm not using it for points or anything anyway
    Only thing is if it would come up on my results sheet as an NG or something cos I didnt turn up I'd nearly prefer to sit it. But I really really don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I know exactly how you feel - I really do. I take HL chemistry, failed the mock and was all set to drop it but I needed it for LCVP. Realistically, this subject is Completely useless to me in all aspects - when the hell is knowing how to calculate the pH of a substance going to help me in animation? but I'm still going to give it a shot even though the chances of passing are very very slim.

The difference here however is as much of a b***h french is, what if you get into your course and realise you don't like it at all and decide to change and go to UCC or UCD? You really don't know at 18/17 how your college life will pan out at all - you say you want something now but what about in the future that changes? You'll have severed so many universities from it. And what even if you want to travel? I know how much you hate french - it's boring and tedious and after the LC, you'll never speak a word of it again but realistically, 10% is not a terrible fail and 2-3 months have passed since then, you'll surely have brought it up to a D3 at HL, a B1 at OL. The OL paper, you'll get done in an hour max and then you can walk out and never ever look back at it again.
    I know everyone has a subject we all would adore to drop and not ever do but after 2 years of hard work is it really worth it? an NG on your paper because you would get that or an E ( the oral will be counted). Even a D3 at OL would look better than that and get you into college. I'll be completely honest here - I'm not counting french and I've put I'd say about an Hour into studying for it, same for the mocks at OL. I got 64% <b> with a failed oral </b>. It's the least stressful exam and definiately the easiest, especially if you've been doing HL all year - your vocab will be at a higher standard and your just about guaranteed a C or B, just enough to get into the colleges. It's worth doing it for the long term effect, no matter how crappy the short term objective looks.

• Advertisement

See I forgot to mention but I do german too so I'm fine that way about haveing a 3rd language.
    Thing is I honestly think I will fail and I dont have any more time now to be spending at it.
    I should have dropped it earlier

zam wrote: »
    Later in life, even if you have ordinary level, having done a foreign language for the LC will really stand to you.

will it f**k :rolleyes:
    (29 year old degree qualified with a C in honours French 10 years ago) total and utter waste of time imo unless you want to pursue a career that requires the language.

However if you got 30% on an honours pre you will walk the pass paper so I don't see the big issue in not sitting it. Very few marks in the written paper are for relevence to the question (comprehension aside) so just learn off loads of sentances with the various tenses in them and write them down on the day. I was p1ss poor at French and was dreading the leaving until I found that out, happy days, was finished the paper before all the pass lads even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 fearanpost

just dont go in, i know a pile of ppl in my course (B.Ed in St.Pat's) who regret doin french/a 3rd language, just check what your 1st choice course requirements are first, and if ya dont need it, just dont go in! if ya have a n/g on your cert so what nobody looks at that aul thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I failed my pre by 10% and I think I would probably fail the real one too. I'd just prefer not to do it as I dont need it for anything and it'd be so much less stress. I don't think there is any point doing OL if I'm not using it for points or anything anyway
    Only thing is if it would come up on my results sheet as an NG or something cos I didnt turn up I'd nearly prefer to sit it. But I really really don't want to.

Seeing as you've done your oral, a grade is going to show up on your cert.

You could still use it to matriculate if the need arose.

Also, with regard to points, you never know what could happen. You may well end up using it for points. Just go in to the OL exam. If you really feel it's a waste of time don't bother studying for it, you'll definitely still pass. I dropped from HL french this september and I have no intentions of doing anything except a little cramming the night before :pac:. No one in my school that dropped to pass studied for the mock, and most of us got As and Bs (A2 here). Pass is way easier than you would think it is. Same applies to pass maths.

Yeah I get what everyone is saying about just doing it or so pass instead but I've decided that I'm not going to sit it I just need to know do I need to tell someone before the Exams start and try to get it off my subject list..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Yeah I get what everyone is saying about just doing it or so pass instead but I've decided that I'm not going to sit it I just need to know do I need to tell someone before the Exams start and try to get it off my subject list..

I don't think you can because of the oral :o why don't you just do the pass like... It's not any work at all. Seriously it's junior cert stuff. Going in and making the pass paper your bitch would probably be good confidence wise, and having a pass there is better than nothing.

Advertisement