Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Those times you beat yourself up from facepalming too much.

• 04-06-2010 3:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching Penn and Teller Bull**** about Creationism and all that jazz, and I just couldn't believe that the number of people they had on it who believed the Earth was created in 6 days and that we're all here but a few thousand years were around in the world, let alone just in the US. I decided to have a little look around online and came across this graph. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Views_on_Evolution.svg

I think of myself as pretty tolerant, and if a kid asked a science teacher if there was a God involved in evolution/the creation of the universe for the answer to be "we don't know". I don't mind people being religious if it helps them get from one day to the next or if they carry out true missionary work, but as many Americans don't believe in evolution as those who do. I mean come on! On the programme they had one guy who reckons the Grand Canyon was formed over a couple of days as a result of the release of water following a flood, presumably around Noah's time. This is his idea of Science. I must have slapped my forehead at least 10 times in the less than half an hour the show was on, so strong was the frustration that I had a peanut M&M in my hand one of the times but was still overwhelmed by the desire to hit myself, presumably somewhere buried in my subconscious I'm trying to give myself brain damage to get to these people's level.

Ugh.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Thats how they get you. You keep hitting yourself in the head until you get brain damage and then become one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

amacachi wrote: »

Ah, the United States of America. Undeniably #1 in the world when it comes to military power, political influence and financial oomph. Take a look at education, however, and they slip in just between Turkey and Bulgaria. Reminds me of when you take a look at their health care, they slip in right between Costa Rica and Slovenia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

P&T is the greatest show ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

P&T is the greatest show ever.

BS? Nah, bit too blinkered tbh.

Advertisement