Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cosmos

• 04-06-2010 3:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Whats your views on asking the universe to make your dreams come true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Que Sera Sera, whatever will be will be :) Just relax smile and be happy NOW and everything turns out the way its supposed to, for sure feel free to ask, yet always expect to be grateful for everything received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Denimgirl

very heavy,don;t know what to think of it really just 1 persons opinion i guess!Everything is a dot if compared to something humongus!lol

Well I'd say beautiful and profound rather than heavy but I know what you mean. :)

The entire series can be watched here if you are interested (it's 13 one hour episodes long so not something you will watch in one go obviously). Maybe check an episode out occasionally when you are bored.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/cosmos/

I can't recommend it enough.

It is beautiful don't get me wrong I just felt slightly disturbed by it too though if you know what i mean.They are interesting though,Does it say anything about asking the universe for favours in the episodes?

• Advertisement

I guess you'll have to watch them all to find out :P

smarty pants! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

strobe wrote: »
    Well I'd say beautiful and profound rather than heavy but I know what you mean. :)

The entire series can be watched here if you are interested (it's 13 one hour episodes long so not something you will watch in one go obviously). Maybe check an episode out occasionally when you are bored.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/cosmos/

I can't recommend it enough.

Thanks for the link strobe, it's appreciated!

The initial reason my I strted thread is to find out your views of asking cosmos favours and if you tried it what was the outcome?I'd be very intrested to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Why would the cosmos care, the whole universe is completely indifferent to the planet as a whole let alone someone who has read The Secret and would oh so like a pair of shoes like the Sex and the City gals.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Well, I dont know fontanalis, maybe the universe is a big ol cloud of gas and rock. But in this forum we explore the possibility that it might not be just that. Maybe there is something else at work too. If there is, I doubt it supplies ponies to nine year olds or fashion footwear. But I think its worth exploring what our lives are for, and ways we can find peace within ourselves.

To the op, I do think you can send a wish into the cosmos, but I think the biggest effect of doing that is it convinces the sender that the wish is possible, so that they set their course to achieving it. I dont think anything will fall easily into your lap, but if you work at it too, the path to what you want clears in an almost magical way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Denimgirl wrote: »
    Hi Guys

If you want it, make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 UB Dude

Denimgirl wrote: »
    Hi Guys

While one may well ask the universe to make your dreams come true, I would personally be inclined to the view that the 'Universe' views the individual with a somewhat parental affection and looks upon your petitions in a similar light, ever with a view toward the realisation of your greatest potential. It's all fine and well to ask for unicorns and Ferrari's but if neither of these contribute positively to your ultimate well-being it's hard to see the universe looking with favour upon such material wants. If, however, your dream is to be enlightened – then one imagines such a desire would be looked upon with favour. Though at no point will it indulge the desire 'Can I Have it without work?

There is a great writer by the name of James Allen, he died in 1912 – meaning his work is in the public domain. All of his books can be downloaded for free at 'The James Allen Free Library', that can be found here:

http://james-allen.in1woord.nl/

One of his greatest is a tiny book called 'As a man Thinketh'. In this, as in all of his books, he argues that 'mind is the master weaver of both the inner garment of character and the outer garment of circumstance'; pointing out that 'habits of mind crystallise into habits of conduct; while habits of conduct crystallise into circumstance', so that circumstance reflects – to a certain degree – one's inner nature, i.e. is a consequence of the thoughts you choose to encourage or discourage.

I cannot see that it would be in the nature of the universe to do anything for you that you could acceptably do yourself, though I am of the opinion that it is inclined to show deference to the sincere and industrious. However, I have often relied upon this, when faced with a problem or question that is utterly beyond your ability to resolve – at least as such things might pertain to one's ultimate salvation, I simply pass it over to the intelligence that watches over us and say , 'Here, you fix it – I haven't a clue what I'm at!' I concede to and rely upon the truth that there exists an intelligence out there far greater than my own, AND that is clever enough to get me from Point 'A' – which is ignorance, to Point 'B' – which is wisdom or insight. I have found that relying upon this intelligent response mechanism has helped me enormously.

That said, things do fall into peoples lap – but a lotto win could be as welcome as a snake bite once it winds its way through a family.

I've always thought that the best things we can ask for are the wisdom to know God's will and the courage to do it. It may not guarantee an easy life but it should at least be interesting! I hope this is of some help. I may be off the track, if I am, my apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

There is a great saying that might profitably be bourne in mind: Be very careful over what you ask for - you might just get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

hiorta wrote: »
    There is a great saying that might profitably be bourne in mind: Be very careful over what you ask for - you might just get it.

Very true, but you won't get it from the universe.

Advertisement