Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing Irish cheque to UK bank a/c

Options
  • 04-06-2010 5:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,

I recently lodged a large (€2500) Euro cheque issued by BOI to a UK sterling Lloyd's account. I was told by the cashier that it would take a week or so to clear (or even be reflected in my balance).

When I was dropping into the branch on an unrelated matter four working days later I was informed that it would now take up to four to six weeks due to some archaic banking systems that are put into effect for untrusted customers with large cheques.

Obviously I was pissed off (I could've posted the bloody thing home and got a friend to lodge it to my Irish account and then done a transfer in far less time).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has experience of how long this will REALISTICALLY take. It seems that the four to six weeks is more a matter of a cheque from a tiny village post office in Africa and a worst case scenario. Anyway with any experience able to fill me in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Seems reasonably accurate due to the large amount of fraud which occurs in these cases. It may take a lot less, but be prepared for it to take that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Agree with buffybot.

When i used to get cheques in irish denomination paid into my uk account it was 14 working days to 6 weeks to get it cleared. Sometimes you can draw on it earlier but it usually took 4 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Chev

Thanks, guys.

Eviction, here we come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Chev

Just a quick update for those who happen across this thread in the future. Money was just paid in (instantly cleared). By my count sixteen working days, all told. Was twelve working days from the date on a letter I received from Lloyd's (4th) informing me that the cheque would be sent for collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Not sure if this helps, but I had BOI accounts here and in the UK. I lodged cheques both directions on occasions, never had to wait more than 5 days for them to clear.

That said, their systems are somewhat linked so they can tell if the account is good for the money, and both accounts were in my name, so they knew what to expect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement