Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent Allowance - Recently Graduated Student

• 04-06-2010 8:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a bit of advice please.

I'm living in Wexford, but my son (now 21) has been living in Dublin while attending university. I have being paying his rent in private accomodation for the last 4 years. He has now finished his course but wants to remain in Dublin, as he has better prospects of finding work there.

He is filling out the forms for the jobseekers allowance, but my question is about rent allowance. I can't continue to pay his rent and I'm wondering if he qualifies for rent allowance. If he has to move back to Wexford, he'll have fewer prospects of work. He is genuinely looking for anything at present until he can get something that he has studied for

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

oldyouth wrote: »
    I'm looking for a bit of advice please.

I'm living in Wexford, but my son (now 21) has been living in Dublin while attending university. I have being paying his rent in private accomodation for the last 4 years. He has now finished his course but wants to remain in Dublin, as he has better prospects of finding work there.

He is filling out the forms for the jobseekers allowance, but my question is about rent allowance. I can't continue to pay his rent and I'm wondering if he qualifies for rent allowance. If he has to move back to Wexford, he'll have fewer prospects of work. He is genuinely looking for anything at present until he can get something that he has studied for

Thanks in advance

He will have to be 6 months or more on JSA before he can apply for rent allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

gustafo wrote: »
    He will have to be 6 months or more on JSA before he can apply for rent allowance
    Thanks

I was hoping that wasn't the case. I can't afford to continue paying his rent and by the time he qualifies for JSA, he'll have broken the requirement that he would have to spend the previous 6 months in private rented accommodation, as he'll have to come home soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

gustafo wrote: »

That's not true.

OP, if you go to www.citizensinformation.ie and insert the term 'rent supplement' you'll find all the rules surrounding it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's not true.

OP, if you go to www.citizensinformation.ie and insert the term 'rent supplement' you'll find all the rules surrounding it.
    Light at the end of the tunnel perhaps. I'll follow up that angle, Cheers

Advertisement