Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sound

Options
  • 04-06-2010 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

So, this year has been great one so far (for me at least) for new bird sightings and sounds.

I've heard more than one cuckoo every day. I have a pair of snipe in the field next door. Odd sound that. I saw a red kite earlier in the year. Warblers galore. Nesting wagtails. I heard a coot or similar the other night also.

The pheasants and buzzards have largely disappeared. They must be busy rearing little ones. Same happened last year. Kestrel is also around less.

Swallows are back in the porch but haven't built anything.

Anyway, last night, after all other birds were quiet I heard something that resembled someone hacksawing through steel.
    A high pitch then a low pitch. Very basic but distinctive. Repeated maybe 5 times in succession. Then a 20 - 30 second gap and start again.
    It would be something like a chiff chaff except on a larger scale and a good few octaves lower if you know what I mean.
    I reckon its a bird (as opposed to a frog for example) because it readily changes location.
    I heard it for the first time yesterday at dawn.

Any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Might be a Nightjar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

Any chance it's a corn crake? I was working down near Clonmacnoise last year and heard one. Sounds just like you described.

Any chance it's a corn crake? I was working down near Clonmacnoise last year and heard one. Sounds just like you described.

That's why I wanted the location to see if it's an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Go to the RSPB website (rspb.org.uk) and listen to the Corncrake and Nightjar then decide :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Don't post the location if it's a Nightjar.

LC

By location I mean Midlands, North West, Co. Cork, etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Nothing as exotic I'm afraid.

Turns out it's one of the 3 snipe that are in the field next to me.

I'm familiar with the strange 'gazoo' call they make but this second one is new. One of them was making it when approached by others while in flight. Might be a courtship thing?

Advertisement