Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses - Irish Date Announced!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

how quick people are to blame the promoter, this is Axl Rose's fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

now compare that to water...

I don't think it's okay to throw things at a performer, whether it's plastic cups, plastic cups full of water, plastic cups full of piss, plastic cups full of beer, whatever. To pass it off as "rock n roll" is just silly. I don't blame the guy for leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Goodnight Springton, there will be no encores.

I blame Axl 100%, but I must be honest and say I found the evening very entertaining for all reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ste7en

how are you so sure it was p***??

I'm not, but the point is piss or not no one deserves to have stuff hurled at them by the crowd. I can see how people are pissed but thowing stuff isnt exactly the right way of making sure Axel puts on a good stuff after such a long wait. I think that press release is pretty fair. Honestly, its Axel Rose, they did what they could (as far as we know) to get him out there, he is notorious for this kinda junk. Then when he did, he gets assaulted by the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

This is why I hate going to gigs here, they are always badly organised and full of see you next Tuesdays. Can't believe so many people went to a GNR gig without ever hearing about them before. This happens ALL the time with Axel, being late that is, but if I had of gone I would have been late I would have been fuming, I would have walked out rather than sit there booing, crying and throwing stuff. As for an apology, never hear of Axel Rose before? Once the throwing start he was right to walk off, usual scum at every gig think they own the venue and are personally offended by anything the band do, ruin it for everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 eoin27

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

iwhelan wrote: »
    GUNS N ROSES: STATEMENT ISSUED BY PROMOTERS MCD AND THE MANAGEMENT OF THE O2
    News last updated: 02-09-2010

back to news

Statement issued by Promoters MCD & the management of The O2 regarding the Guns N' Roses concert at The 02, Dublin, Wednesday 1st September 2010.

Despite every effort being made by promoters to ensure Guns N' Roses would go on stage on time, they went on at 22.26hrs having been due to be on stage at 21.45hrs, support artist finished at 21:00hrs.

During the second song Axl requested members of crowd who were throwing plastic glass's containing unknown substances to immediately stop or he would have no option but to leave the stage. He confirmed band's wish to perform stating "we want to stay..one more bottle and we go home". Despite his continued appeals, having tried to continue performing for 22 minutes,
    people continued throwing unknown substances leaving artist with no choice but to leave the stage.

From the stage MCD Promoter Denis Desmond again appealed to audience to refrain from throwing items and stated that the band would be back on stage shortly.

The artist was prevented from leaving the venue by the Promoter and following backstage discussions Guns N' Roses went back on stage at 23.20 hrs and performed their full set until 00.53 hrs.

While the artist has a long history for being late on stage (Slane 1992 - crowd waiting 2 hours and last weekend's UK Reading festival), NO artist should be subjected to missiles and unknown substances being thrown at them. However, despite this the band went back on stage after people stopped throwing items performing their full set of songs in full.

MCD and The 02 wish to apologise for any inconvenience caused due to late running of the show

Slight exaggeration there, GnR were at max an hour late at Slane 92, plus it's an entirely different venue, atmosphere (and band members, most importantly). This is a load a bollocks. Those of you who were at this need to hound MCD for their money back, they organised the sham. Strength in numbers, people!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

One of the problems of having a venue the size of the o2 is a sizeable amount of assholes who generally don't go to gigs end up going...THat was evident on fm104 last night.

Hearing things like "he didn't even apologise"

if you said that last night, you should not have been there.

(the types that would go to see GG Allin live and complain that he threw excrement on them)

mojesius wrote: »
    Slight exaggeration there, GnR were at max an hour late at Slane 92, plus it's an entirely different venue, atmosphere (and band members, most importantly). This is a load a bollocks. Those of you who were at this need to hound MCD for their money back, they organised the sham. Strength in numbers, people!:)

What should MCD have done to get Axel Rose out on time and failing that to stop people from firing things at him once he did come out?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

FrostyJack wrote: »
    This is why I hate going to gigs here, they are always badly organised and full of see you next Tuesdays. Can't believe so many people went to a GNR gig without ever hearing about them before. This happens ALL the time with Axel, being late that is, but if I had of gone I would have been late I would have been fuming, I would have walked out rather than sit there booing, crying and throwing stuff. As for an apology, never hear of Axel Rose before? Once the throwing start he was right to walk off, usual scum at every gig think they own the venue and are personally offended by anything the band do, ruin it for everyone else.

Nope never heard of him? Who is he?

Gotta love the fanbois who think it's ok for him to show up for a concert 90minutes late and expect people to be ok with it. Get fu-cked. I am in by no means condoning the throwing of anything but let's face it. If he turns up on stage at a reasonable time none of what followed would have occured. It is a direct response to the 10:26 start time.

I'd press MCD for a refund based on this, you probably won't get it but you never know. Also it is also unfair to punish the majority for the actions of a few, this is not primary school anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Can't condone bottle throwing but can fully but can fully understand it, and it is hardly an Irish only trait and would have happened anywhere in the world if he had sauntered on stage 90 minutes late.

Just doesn't give a sh*t about his fan who spent a sizable chunk of a weeks wages to go and see him.

This could be a report about last nights gig just change the city name.

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/50407
    Singer threatens to walk offstage in Lima
    March 27, 2010 | 1 CommentsBuy Guns N' Roses Music from Amazon UKGuns N' Roses news RSS feedMore Guns N' Roses news, reviews, videos and tour datesTweet
    Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose threatened to walk offstage during a recent gig in Peru.

The star stopped their performance in Lima and told fans through an interpreter he would leave after they threw objects at him.

Watch video footage of the incident below.

"If you wanna throw ****, we will leave," he said. "We would like to stay and have fun with you for a long time tonight. So we're gonna have fun? Let's try that again."

Fans were made to wait over an hour into the early hours of Friday morning (March 26) for the band after support act, former Skid Row singer Sebastian Bach, finished his set at 11pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 larrylineker

Ste7en wrote: »
    How can you really expect security to pull up a couple of guys in a crowd of thousands? Also do you reeeeally expect him to take a face full of beer/piss and say 'well fair enough folks, I guess I was late.". I dont see how anyone is entitled to a refund, you assaulted the act, he gave you a warning (which he didnt have to do) and he was assaulted again. He left. I'm surprised he came back at all to be honest.

Security in the old point depot stopped any drinks and containers from being brought into standing area. This is how the throwing can be stopped. I didn't assault the act, am I entitled to a refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dms!

The video someone posted earlier here on boards was just shown on tv3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

dms! wrote: »
    The video someone posted earlier here on boards was just shown on tv3

Lol no credit given even :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Heard on Phantom this morning that some people were texting in to the show complaining that they were really disappointed it wasn't the original line up performing?

Where the hell have they been for the past 14 years or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

I'm not, but the point is piss or not no one deserves to have stuff hurled at them by the crowd. I can see how people are pissed but thowing stuff isnt exactly the right way of making sure Axel puts on a good stuff after such a long wait. I think that press release is pretty fair. Honestly, its Axel Rose, they did what they could (as far as we know) to get him out there, he is notorious for this kinda junk. Then when he did, he gets assaulted by the crowd.
    "assaulted" in the loose sense of the word. People who were at the front of the stage interviewed said it was about two bottles of water, did they even hit him? Is that enough to walk off stage and maybe incite a riot, which he knows can happen from what happened in St. Louis!...that is after he has already frustrated the crowd by leaving them waiting so long. When was the last time you heard of anything like this at a major gig in Ireland? But when is the last time you have heard of Axl causing mayhem at gigs?
    ...last week? There is one clown to blame.

Security in the old point depot stopped any drinks and containers from being brought into standing area. This is how the throwing can be stopped. I didn't assault the act, am I entitled to a refund?

As far as I've heard, they played a full set, a sucky set but a set nonetheless so I dont think you are unfortunately. I know loooooads of people didnt throw stuff but unfortunately the few dick-faces will tarnish everyone and its impossible to know exactly who did. I'm really surprised they still dont check bag for containers actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

What should MCD have done to get Axel Rose out on time and failing that to stop people from firing things at him once he did come out?

They obviously didn't do enough to get him on stage on time initially. 75 blips is not cheap. It's a weeknight, ltd. transport etc, early morning, it doesn't take a genius to anticipate that people would have reacted the way they did. Big deal, he got a few drinks thrown at him, happens to loads of bands. It's certainly not the first time it's happened to Axl (nor will it be the last going by his recent record).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dms!

calex71 wrote: »
    Lol no credit given even :D

Yeah, cheek of them! One of them said something almost word for word of a reply on this thread, maybe they're reading it during the breaks :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

lordgoat wrote: »
    Nope never heard of him? Who is he?

Gotta love the fanbois who think it's ok for him to show up for a concert 90minutes late and expect people to be ok with it. Get fu-cked. I am in by no means condoning the throwing of anything but let's face it. If he turns up on stage at a reasonable time none of what followed would have occured. It is a direct response to the 10:26 start time.

I'd press MCD for a refund based on this, you probably won't get it but you never know. Also it is also unfair to punish the majority for the actions of a few, this is not primary school anymore.

You got me wrong I'm not fan of him, the exact opposite. Love the music though. But paying 70 euro for gig for someone who has a vast history of being late, walking off stage you were taking a gamble. After paying that money I'm sure you wanted to actually see them perform not stand there in a strop booing and the likes. Let them get on with play the gig, then complain about it after or just walk out and don't ruin it for everyone who wants the first option. People should definitly get a refund, but only because the staff told people it was over and indications pointed that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

they posted a statement...

GUNS N ROSES: STATEMENT ISSUED BY PROMOTERS MCD AND THE MANAGEMENT OF THE O2
    News last updated: 02-09-2010
    back to news
    gunsnroses.jpg
    Statement issued by Promoters MCD & the management of The O2 regarding the Guns N' Roses concert at The 02, Dublin, Wednesday 1st September 2010.
    Despite every effort being made by promoters to ensure Guns N' Roses would go on stage on time, they went on at 22.26hrs having been due to be on stage at 21.45hrs, support artist finished at 21:00hrs.
    During the second song Axl requested members of crowd who were throwing plastic glass's containing unknown substances to immediately stop or he would have no option but to leave the stage. He confirmed band's wish to perform stating "we want to stay..one more bottle and we go home". Despite his continued appeals, having tried to continue performing for 22 minutes,
    people continued throwing unknown substances leaving artist with no choice but to leave the stage.
    From the stage MCD Promoter Denis Desmond again appealed to audience to refrain from throwing items and stated that the band would be back on stage shortly.
    The artist was prevented from leaving the venue by the Promoter and following backstage discussions Guns N' Roses went back on stage at 23.20 hrs and performed their full set until 00.53 hrs.
    While the artist has a long history for being late on stage (Slane 1992 - crowd waiting 2 hours and last weekend's UK Reading festival), NO artist should be subjected to missiles and unknown substances being thrown at them. However, despite this the band went back on stage after people stopped throwing items performing their full set of songs in full.
    MCD and The 02 wish to apologise for any inconvenience caused due to late running of the show.

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=9096245&ar=gunsnroses&cat=all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Confuses me how "fans" know that he's always late for gigs, are aware that this guy will walk off stage at the drop of the hat, continue to throw stuff after a warning that he'll walk off the stage if they don't stop, and then...give out about it when he walks off stage cos you lot kept throwing shít..

You don't deserve your money back, you need to learn not to act lilke a scumbag imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,011 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Einstein wrote: »
    You don't deserve your money back, you need to learn not to act lilke a scumbag imho.
    To be fair, a small number of the fans there were the ones throwing bottles. How is that fair to the people who didn't? Bit of a blanket statement.

And as for the booing, it's the "crowd mentality"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,203 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yes because every single person there was throwing stuff on stage.

Oh wait, no they weren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

basquille wrote: »
    To be fair, a small number of the fans there were the ones throwing bottles. How is that fair to the people who didn't?

Honestly dont think the booing bothered them. The guitarist at the start appeared to be playing up to it. And I don't think it would have been a fan who threw a bottle up. More someone who was there with a few pints on board out on a night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Einstein wrote: »

problem is I doubt the scumbags who threw bottles are even reading any of this...but what about the decent fans there? they have to feel hard done by, but either way, judging by that statement from MCD there will be no refunds issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Jaysus...10:30pm...its hardly the wee small hours is it? Wanting to go home because you have to be up for work is so un-rock n' roll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,203 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How they allow drinks in plastic bottles to be brought up so close to the stage anyway is beyond me. It becomes a bit of a death trap with them all over the ground too.

I'm fairly sure that when it was The Point Depo you couldn't bring drinks into the main arena. You had to drink them out in the foyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Heard on Phantom this morning that some people were texting in to the show complaining that they were really disappointed it wasn't the original line up performing?

Where the hell have they been for the past 14 years or so?

Prob the same people that expected Axl to be on stage on time !!

Axl has only shown up on time for around 5 gigs and that was just after Izzy announced he was quiting.

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    To be fair, a small number of the fans there were the ones throwing bottles. How is that fair to the people who didn't? Bit of a blanket statement.

Unfortunately there isnt really any way of punishing the few who did and its a shame that the people who werent throwing stuff had to be punished with them.

to Mojesius - I know its a lot of money and its really bad news for the night to go on like it did but still despite whether it was just water, whether it hit them or not, no one deserves to have **** thrown at them like that. Plus we have no idea what MCD did to get Axl onstage so its all speculation but Axl is a son of a bitch and he will go on when he wants to and I wonder how much power MCD really had to get him out there.

Advertisement