Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses - Irish Date Announced!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

zuutroy wrote: »
    Jaysus...10:30pm...its hardly the wee small hours is it? Wanting to go home because you have to be up for work is so un-rock n' roll!

you are only allowed to rock out between 9 and 10:15 on a school night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

THe only thing that will change after this gig, is even more of the comforts fans have been allowed at gigs will be removed, because the Irish cannot be trusted...ie there will be beer restrictions from now on....

Next time you see someone throw anything at a stage....punch them in the face...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Oh don't get me wrong, I totally realise that it wasn't everyone throwing stuff, and they definitely ruined it for most of the people. The booing is expected, due to the time delay, but no doubt it would have stopped had they just played the set as normal...

But again, theres no reason to give a refund...band warned they'd stop if throwing didnt stop...it didn't...so they walked off!

I'm a drummer and gig a couple times a week...if i got stuff thrown at me I wouldn't be hangin around for too long thats for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chroma

rant start.

I'm not a GnR fan, not really into bottle throwing either. I'm a huge music fan though. The gf paid good money to see that show, I was against it at first but she really wanted to go. So we did...

One word. Amateurs. At best.

I don't care who organised the show, I don't care if Axl is usually late or who Axl is anyway. It is not 1990 anymore, he better get that straight into his bottoxed head.

We sat there you know, waiting. I knew she wanted to stay so we did. No booing and no yelling, we just waited. Then this jackass comes along with complete disrespect for the audience. Make it simple Axl, like:

"Sorry, we're late. You know, the usual stuff but we're here now and we rock etc.!"

My gf laughed and said "He's deffo not doing that!" I said why, he has a mic and PA. Everybody can hear him. But no, that is too much to ask.

Then come the bottles and the 22mins mini show. Then more boos and yells, crowds leaving but we sat there, waiting.

So against all odds they take the stage again. I'm thinking, he's just honoring his contract and I'm right, judging that he wasn't doing his flippin dancing and moving anymore. He was just standing there, like you would on the bus on the way home from work. Standing and singing, "Brilliant!" I'm thinking "Now he thinks he has the right to be pissed off as well..". He's probably glad he wasn't paying to see his show tho.

Show ends at 01:00? completely throwing off our arrangements on how to get back. Go to sleep at 2.30 anyway, just to get up at 6am. You know, to show up early at work, to get paid. Not that Axl would understand any of that "being professional" stuff.

rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Quick dissection of the MCD press release:
    Despite every effort being made by promoters to ensure Guns N' Roses would go on stage on time, they went on at 22.26hrs having been due to be on stage at 21.45hrs, support artist finished at 21:00hrs.

That doesn't seem right. Support acts don't usually play 80 minute sets, and if you typically play long sets you'd be going on sooner than later. I'd say Axl was due onstage at 21:15 at the latest.
    During the second song Axl requested members of crowd who were throwing plastic glass's containing unknown substances to immediately stop or he would have no option but to leave the stage.

Plastic glass? Best oxymoron I've heard!

Also I love the way they leave it open to interpretation with the "unknown substances".
    He confirmed band's wish to perform stating "we want to stay..one more bottle and we go home". Despite his continued appeals, having tried to continue performing for 22 minutes, people continued throwing unknown substances leaving artist with no choice but to leave the stage.

OK, first of all, this is worded like this was a struggle for the band to continue playing. How many bottles actually landed on the stage? How many bottles actually hit any of the band members? People throw s*** on to the stage all the time.
    From the stage MCD Promoter Denis Desmond again appealed to audience to refrain from throwing items and stated that the band would be back on stage shortly.

No he didn't.
    The artist was prevented from leaving the venue by the Promoter and following backstage discussions Guns N' Roses went back on stage at 23.20 hrs and performed their full set until 00.53 hrs.

Fair enough.
    While the artist has a long history for being late on stage (Slane 1992 - crowd waiting 2 hours and last weekend's UK Reading festival), NO artist should be subjected to missiles and unknown substances being thrown at them.

I have two minds about the bottle throwing. Under normal circumstances, I'm totally against it. If you don't like the band, then leave.

However, the contempt Axl displayed to the crowd... you reap what you sow. The frustration that must have been felt by the paying fans is understandable. No explanation was made for his tardiness nor an apology given to the crowd.
    However, despite this the band went back on stage after people stopped throwing items performing their full set of songs in full.

Albeit with a motionless Axl until one in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

calex71 wrote: »
    Lol no credit given even :D

To TV3's credit & defence - The TV Station did ask for permission to use the footage before it was broadcasted & they were given permission to use it etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

THe only thing that will change after this gig, is even more of the comforts fans have been allowed at gigs will be removed, because the Irish cannot be trusted...ie there will be beer restrictions from now on....

Nothing will be changed.

Smashing Pumpkins in 95 had alot more trouble than this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

btw, I don't think MCD are in the wrong in this case, it's just amusing how they spin it back on the bottle-throwers while barely addressing the ridiculously long delays that people had to endure last night.

If Axl hadn't walked off stage the gig still would have probably finished at about 00:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

i don't really fell sorry for the people that left. what were they expecting with alex.

i don't go because for this reason as we all know that he is never on time.

those that stayed far play too them

i don't understand why people need too drink at concerts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

4949773348_a8bed9c2b5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

lordgoat wrote: »
    Nope never heard of him? Who is he?

Gotta love the fanbois who think it's ok for him to show up for a concert 90minutes late and expect people to be ok with it. Get fu-cked. I am in by no means condoning the throwing of anything but let's face it. If he turns up on stage at a reasonable time none of what followed would have occured. It is a direct response to the 10:26 start time.

I'd press MCD for a refund based on this, you probably won't get it but you never know. Also it is also unfair to punish the majority for the actions of a few, this is not primary school anymore.

Goat-y, they werent 90 mins late, only 45. Desmond Dekker said 21:45 they were due on and they came on at 22:26.

I was there like, i knew it was gonna be late, i wish they'd published the stage times and it woulde solved a lot of these problems.

First (big) song comes on, pints go flying all the time, it just happened that some guys aimed a bit better.

maybe Ireland should push for an Olympic sport.. pint throwing at a target 10 metres away resembling Tom Petty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

What's the story with YouTube copyright? does the poster of the video have a genuine grievance under copyright infringement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Lets get one thing straight.

This is NOT Guns n Roses. Its just basically Axel Rose and friends. He shouldnt be allowed call himself guns n roses.

Why were the people throwing stuff. Because he was terrible?

If he was terrible he deserved it. Heard he was lip syncing too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

beans wrote: »
    What's the story with YouTube copyright? does the poster of the video have a genuine grievance under copyright infringement?

Not unless someone stole the video from him and posted it on Youtube, if he posted it himself its now the property of youtube and in the public domain for anyone to view or use. Guns n roses may raise issues if they dont allow recording devices at their gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,011 ✭✭✭✭Basq

beans wrote: »
    Doubt it..

.. if it was me, I would have watermarked it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

NickDrake wrote: »

This is NOT Guns n Roses. Its just basically Axel Rose and friends. He shouldnt be allowed call himself guns n roses.

To be fair he was'nt lip synching. I thought the guitarists seemed pretty cool and had a bit of personality, interacting with the crowd but he himself was a disgrace. Very very poor attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Statement issued by Promoters MCD & the management of The O2 regarding the Guns N' Roses concert at The 02, Dublin, Wednesday 1st September 2010.

Despite every effort being made by promoters to ensure Guns N' Roses would go on stage on time, they went on at 22.26hrs having been due to be on stage at 21.45hrs, support artist finished at 21:00hrs.

During the second song Axl requested members of crowd who were throwing plastic glasses containing unknown substances to immediately stop or he would have no option but to leave the stage. He confirmed band's wish to perform stating "we want to stay..one more bottle and we go home". Despite his continued appeals, having tried to continue performing for 22 minutes,
    people continued throwing unknown substances leaving artist with no choice but to leave the stage.

From the stage MCD Promoter Denis Desmond again appealed to audience to refrain from throwing items and stated that the band would be back on stage shortly.

The artist was prevented from leaving the venue by the Promoter and following backstage discussions Guns N' Roses went back on stage at 23.20 hrs and performed their full set until 00.53 hrs.

While the artist has a long history for being late on stage (Slane 1992 - crowd waiting 2 hours and last weekend's UK Reading festival), NO artist should be subjected to missiles and unknown substances being thrown at them. However, despite this the band went back on stage after people stopped throwing items performing their full set of songs in full.

MCD and The 02 wish to apologise for any inconvenience caused due to late running of the show.

Sorry. But the majority of this statement is untrue.

First, Axl Rose DID NOT want to be there and "play on". A punter beside me said that Axl was clearly pissed when his roadie was rigging him up during the performance of "Chinese Democracy". It could be seen a mile away that Axl was in the mood to leave, and it would seem that he was all set for doing so in spite of "MCD Intervention".

"People Continued to throw". Wrong ! After Axl Rose asked the crowd to desist, one punter decided to be a comedian, and throw another bottle at the Stage. I threw nothing, and neither did anybody who was in the vicinity of the barrier. He made one lame ass appeal to the crowd, which is synonomous with his primadonna approach to this music. In fact it was more of a threat then an appeal, and it was counterproductive as it guaranteed that at least one asshole, who had no interest in GNR, and had a few too many on board, would be anxious to try Axl's patience.

There was no claim that the band would "return shortly". When the houselights went down for the second time it was as much as asuprise to me as it was to any other person in the arena.

Axl performed nothing after he returned. He completed his set, in a sabotaged fashion, where he butched some of his best songs.

MCD should AGAIN be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FatBeard

scudzilla wrote: »
    What bothers me is Axl's hired musicians

Have they no fcukin Pride? Can they not see the way Axl is treating his fans night after night by coming on stage late, disrespecting money paying fans?

And yet they CONTINUE to stand up for the little weasel on Twitter?

I had no problems with the hired musicians. They made a terrific effort last night, interacting with the crowd, taking cameras off fans and taking their pictures. Throwing plectrums into the crowd. They for me were the best part of the show.

Edit: Just to clarify, I still think Axl is a knob.

BULL****!

They need to issue refunds, 1am is TOO LATE for a gig to be going on until, especially when doors opened at 6.30pm and there was only one support act

AND WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT ABOUT - Danko Jones played 1 hour and 20 minutes, what the ****? What support band plays that long unless there is a problem

About 8.45 I saw one of the stage crew talk to the bassist. It was obvious he was asking the support band to play longer so that there wouldn't be as much of a wait till GNR. Not that it made that much difference in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

NickDrake wrote: »

1) The other original members haven't been in the band for 15 years. Anyone buying a ticket for this gig who thought that they'd be seeing Slash has been living on a different planet since '95.

2) People were throwing stuff cos they were knackers. Feel free to boo all ya want for him being late but no excuse for throwing bottles at the stage.

3) And no he wasn't lip syncing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

bonoman66 wrote: »
    To TV3's credit & defence - The TV Station did ask for permission to use the footage before it was broadcasted & they were given permission to use it etc...

Yeah, they did the same with my Bono busking on Grafton St clip they showed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Goat-y, they werent 90 mins late, only 45. Desmond Dekker said 21:45 they were due on and they came on at 22:26.

I was there like, i knew it was gonna be late, i wish they'd published the stage times and it woulde solved a lot of these problems.

First (big) song comes on, pints go flying all the time, it just happened that some guys aimed a bit better.

maybe Ireland should push for an Olympic sport.. pint throwing at a target 10 metres away resembling Tom Petty

Rich who were the last act in the o2 or point that started their set at 21:45? And when do nobody support acts get 80min sets?

Don't be fooled by that.

I do agree though he looks like a fatter version of Petty.

Also MCD if you're reading this, when did you start using primary school children to write your press reports? Although the amateur aspect of it does klind of suit the gig it's referring to.

cena wrote: »
    i don't really fell sorry for the people that left. what were they expecting with alex.

i don't go because for this reason as we all know that he is never on time.

Ah your assuming everyone who goes has detailed knowledge of what Axl is like. Most people don't read up on these things. They just like the albums and go to the concert.

Also, full lighting came on 20 minutes after he left the stage. Thats instruction to pretty much everyone that the gigs over, go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dannyboymed

I wasn't there but it sounds like Axl deserved everything he got with the way he treated the crowd. I bet a simple apology, anything involving the words "sorry" and "late", would have totally calmed the crowd down.

Looks to me like MCD's statement is full of twisted facts, missed out information and blatant lies. No headliner in the O2 goes on at 21:45. Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

MCD in up yours to music fans shocker.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

1) The other original members haven't been in the band for 15 years. Anyone buying a ticket for this gig who thought that they'd be seeing Slash has been living on a different planet since '95.

2) People were throwing stuff cos they were knackers. Feel free to boo all ya want for him being late but no excuse for throwing bottles at the stage.

3) And no he wasn't lip syncing!

Agree re point 1

The thing is Irish people are pretty stupid when it come to music. Look, the Coronas and massive here and the likes of Rhianna etc storm the charts.

I bet the majority of the women in the crowd expected to see Slash up there. Seeing as the majority of Irish women have a terrible taste in music and just to what is fashionable (ie ****e)

Also a lot of people going to the 02 havent a clue about music and just tag along. So I'd say a lot of them expected to see Slash up there and even 'buckethead'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

lordgoat wrote: »
    Rich who were the last act in the o2 or point that started their set at 21:45? And when do nobody support acts get 80min sets?

Don't be fooled by that.

I do agree though he looks like a fatter version of Petty.

Also MCD if you're reading this, when did you start using primary school children to write your press reports? Although the amateur aspect of it does klind of suit the gig it's referring to.

Ah no Tommy wasnt condoning it, I went down early for Danko, thought they were great in TBMC a few years back.
    From what someone else just said I do think they got extra time, i saw them being gestured at about 8:40 and they seemed to be playing random songs to fill. I honestly cuoldnt believe they'd do 80 mins.

Back to my other point really, if they'd released set times at least a lot more people could anticipate a late show, the delay of 45 mins wouldve been more tolerable.

im disappointed. went to see Axl Rose doing his classics in an arena and ended up watching a band of hired musicians playing classic songs with a mannequin doing the vocals..

Both MCD and Axl are at fault here, a representative from MCD or else one of the guys from the support act should have announced that "Guns N Roses are running late so were will be playing a slightly longer set" the should also have announced "that due to the late start time there will be no curfew for the band tonight". Two simple sentences could have made such a big difference.

When Axl walked on stage or after the opening song he should have simply said "sorry were late but were here no so lets rock".

It's amazing looking back on last night how a few simple words could have drastically changed the entire night.

The saddest thing about gigs is that there are always a few twats ready to ruin the night for everyone else, we had them at Blink (the guys starting fights left right and centre and the drunken twats) we had them at AC/DC at Punchertstown (those drunken idiots falling over themselves and causing trouble, incidentally enough the O2 gig seemed to have no trouble whatsoever). It's not the fans who cause the trouble but rather those people who see these gigs as an excuse to get pissed in public and act the prick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Mister men wrote: »
    MCD in up yours to music fans shocker.:rolleyes:

What would you have done differently in their situation?

Advertisement